• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Happy Anniversary, Feb 5, 2001

danstorm

One of the more underrated storms for New England, IMO.  This was a massive overperformer for Ct with widespread 1-2' amounts in a fairly short duration sock-dollager of a storm.  30" I believe in Jaffrey, NH. 

Sorry for the NJ centric map, was the easiest to find.

Has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle considering the abundance of 18"+ events in recent years.  Remember it here.

post-4215-0-15302900-1454690136_thumb.pn

One of the more underrated storms for New England, IMO. This was a massive overperformer for Ct with widespread 1-2' amounts in a fairly short duration sock-dollager of a storm. 30" I believe in Jaffrey, NH.

Sorry for the NJ centric map, was the easiest to find.

Has kind of gotten lost in the shuffle considering the abundance of 18"+ events in recent years. Remember it here.

was in Bethel Maine for this crushing. Unbelievable deform band. Great storm.

huge storm for me emotionally, was the biggest i had seen in my life that i was able to really experience every detail...i was too young for 78 and 83 with just very vague memories of 83...

it snowed for like ten hours from start to finish and we had a solid 18 inches and was the last time i experienced thunder snow in a noreaster

this was in Bristol Ct..I guess spfd actually did a little better for this one with over 20 inches they tell me

it was a wetter but not birch breaker snow with temps 29-30 throughout

This is one of my favorite storms all time. I lived in Rocky Hill CT at the time where we received a solid 18". I remember that morning at work waiting ,waiting, waiting for the snow to start. It ramped up really fast - I ended up leaving 1 hour later than I should have for my 2 mile commute home and ended up stuck in a snowbank at the entrance to my condo complex. Neighbors helped me push the car back out into the street with thunder and lightning crackling all around and the heavy snow dumping.

Co-workers who commuted from Rocky Hill to New Haven on I-91 needed several hours to get home. The mayhem on the roads that day was part of what caused the state of CT to overreact and close all interstates to trucks for the March 01 storm when conditions were nowhere near as bad.

All in all it was great storm, the only other time I have seen thunder snow anywhere near that intense was Nov. 1986. The snow had relatively high water content, and the radar images that evening were memorable for the huge back side of the comma head ripping right through New England.

Archived