joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My area went from 56 degrees in the early afternoon to light snow and 35 degrees now (6:35pm). Of course, this is only the first low pressure system, not the main one.

Gotta love Colorado weather. Never a dull moment.

This ought to make the skiers happy.

FileL.png?rand=49985

Welcome! We have good friends in Ashburn who got 30" + last weekend. Took them 2 days to get out of the neighborhood.

Thanks. Yea haha missed that one but this coming storm should make up for it. About to see a real Colorado snow storm with wind and a foot of snow. Will be interesting to track didn't know there was upslope involved as mentioned in a post above.

It seems like double digits ought to be pretty likely within about 3-4 miles of the foothills with this one. This snowstorm is a real Los Angeles clipper. Oops, that's the name of a basketball team.

HA, the base of the foothills are about a mile from me, but elevation is further. 

With this amount of upslope flow at 850-700mb, I wouldn't believe low-ball amounts except for the South Platte Valley (Greeley-Fort Morgan)

note: low elevations in the river valleys average less snow per year, mainly because of lack of upsloping, not due to rain/snow issues

http://bangladeshtornadoes.org/terrain/topolgnorth.png

Whew, watching this thing unfold is like watching paint dry. Oil-based paint. On a cool day.

Models delaying much till tomorrow midmorning, seems like, with the NAM still trailing others though not quite a low as before. No reason to stay up late. 0.5" this PM after 1.2" late yesterday. 5.2" total for January.

3" so far tonight in Estes Park, but it's been generally light snow for the last five hours, about a half inch an hour rate.  We got less than an inch from the system last night, but the park got quite a bit just a thousand feet higher.

BTW - my sig location is in NoVA but we have a cabin in Estes and spend several weeks a year here.  Picked a good time to come out after my 30" last week in VA :)

I have had some snow since 7pm. It has been pretty light, probably under 1". Small flakes seem to be correlating with low reflectivity. It will probably pick up later, perhaps after sunrise. Most of the time in Fort Collins, it snows at nighttime, but I am looking forward to being able to see the snow in the daytime tomorrow.

I have had some snow since 7pm. It has been pretty light, probably under 1". Small flakes seem to be correlating with low reflectivity. It will probably pick up later, perhaps after sunrise. Most of the time in Fort Collins, it snows at nighttime, but I am looking forward to being able to see the snow in the daytime tomorrow.

About 6" so far in Estes.  Still the same light, powdery, tiny flakes, 0.5" per hour or less but continuous.

Archived