SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, a fairly low-impact snowstorm for the plains and the urban corridor, but we'll take the 2-6" gladly. Tomorrow, 700mb winds will be south to SE, upsloping in the cold air sector, and then switch to north. The 500mb/700mb lows move east of the mountains at the edge of the Oklahoma panhandle Sunday.  Temps should be close to 32 for the cities.

Pia6xXP.png

QmvncCo.png

On Monday night to Tuesday, things are looking a little worse for snow in this area. A 994mb surface low and the 700mb low form in NE Colorado and track to the northern Midwest. The low-elevation snow might be in central Wyoming and Nebraska. Possibly 3-9" of snow for the Colorado mountains and NW Colorado. I think there will be some winds over 30mph on the lower elevations, possibly blizzard for parts of Nebraska.

2nd storm

qQ5Ptdg.gif

I have a hunch that a lot of storms pegged to slam CO will miss south to varying degrees this winter and spring. Although once a storm goes south enough over the SW it does pull in Gulf of California moisture which can offset the change in path. I'm kind of amazed I got almost an inch of precip (rain & melted snow) with this past storm, was expecting ~0.2" of an inch of liquid, with maybe 1-2" of wet snow at the end. Instead I had 4" snow after maybe 0.5" of rain. This is probably a top five year for precipitation in NM over the last century or so.

Dodge City getting some crazy weather

KDDC 140039Z AUTO 34012KT 1/2SM TSSN FG VV005 00/M01 A2941 RMK AO2 TSB33 P0016 T00001011
KDDC 140022Z AUTO 33010KT 3/4SM -SN BR VV006 00/M01 A2942 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT SE P0011 T00001011
KDDC 132352Z AUTO 32011KT 3/4SM VCTS -SN BR VV008 00/M01 A2943 RMK AO2 SLP978 P0015 60080 T00001011 10022 20000 58012

If Albuquerque snow remains at 5.4" for the month, it will be interesting to see if that is our snowiest, second snowiest, or third snowiest month of this Oct-May period. For most El Ninos 5.4" isn't enough snow in a month to be a top snowfall month, but it is too much snow to be the second snowiest month. 

Essentially, my historical data implies:

1) 5.4" as snowiest month = avg snow season - 9.6" from Oct-May

2) 5.4" as second snowiest month = great snow season - 23.6" Oct-May

3) 5.4" as third snowiest month = historically great snow season - 32.6" Oct-May

Were Albuquerque snow totals for the month to remain unchanged, I would rate the odds of option one at ~26%, option two at ~70%, and option three at ~4%. 

All that being said, if we get to 7", 8", 9", 10", 15", 20" somehow for the month, then Dec is very likely to be our snowiest month. I think we probably get at least a couple more inches this month given how wet and slow the last storm was. 

El Nino here is normally a 7.2", 3.8", 1.8", 0.5" pattern here for the snowiest four months. Months in the 5-6 range are kind of unusual here.  

Another Winter storm watch for the northeast parts of Colorado (eastern Weld County, Morgan County, Akron, Sterling, Julesburg). This is going to be a pretty big storm for Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and South Dakota. 8" at high elevations here in Colorado. I would imagine that a number of ski areas will have gotten at least 20" since Thurs/Friday of last week.

4lwSq0E.png

You guys are right. Given forecasts of nearly 0" a few days before this, and upgrade to 3" on the NWS Boulder forecast, then 6" winter storm warning just before it started, it still overperformed above that 6" for my house. It was pretty windy in a bunch of areas. The winds increased through the storm and topped out with 45mph NW gusts outside of town here after the snow had stopped, probably leading to more drifting than normal.

The 500mb low did move farther south than forecast about 2+ days beforehand. I think you are right in saying that this El Nino winter will have some 500mb disturbances farther south than normal. Perhaps with some disturbances will track south to northern Mexico, as in 1997. Whether or not the models predict the 500mb lows in the right places, who the hell knows.

Archived