• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Plugging in forecasted highs and lows and accounting for expected midnight highs and midnight lows CLE should come in with the coldest February on record and second coldest month on record. Only January 1977 would be colder.

Had some of these cold fronts come through a few hours sooner it could have helped tremendously as there were a lot of midnight highs.

The snowfall on Saturday still hasn't been updated which is annoying considering this will be the most historic month in many people's lifetimes in terms of cold and snow. Such a shame that it's not being accurately recorded.

Today's high resolution imagery of Lake Erie should be the most impressive satellite shot ever taken of the lake. The low resolution visible shot this morning shows wall to wall ice and no thin spots.

Yeah I'd have to imagine it's frozen solid. Ironically if you look at radar through the middle of the night there was still some enhancement from the lake...not a ton but a little. Amazing how that can still happen with the ice although there is a small amount of moisture picked up through sublimation I believe.

BKL had a low of -13 while CLE had a low of -5 last night. That BKL temperature for this late in the season is absolutely incredible. If there were a separate records list for downtown, that -13 would obliterate any record for the last 3 weeks of February. 

It's unfortunate we couldn't have cooled down a little bit earlier last night, we are stuck with a midnight high of 15 today. Otherwise we could really end up smashing the coldest February on record.

-9 already Imby. How low can we go. Nice pics of the ice... Amazing to see virtually no ice on Lake Ontario. That lake is almost impossible to freeze... Considering superior and Huron are almost frozen over.

Just got back from quick trip to Walgreens, -12 here about 15 mins ago. I could easily see -20 to -25 overnight with our lovely Arctic air, deep snowpack, clear skies, zero wind.

BKL had a low of -13 while CLE had a low of -5 last night. That BKL temperature for this late in the season is absolutely incredible. If there were a separate records list for downtown, that -13 would obliterate any record for the last 3 weeks of February.

It's unfortunate we couldn't have cooled down a little bit earlier last night, we are stuck with a midnight high of 15 today. Otherwise we could really end up smashing the coldest February on record.

Between Thursday and Friday nights, I think at least one can over perform and get to -10 at CLE and make up for today's warmer high. We shall see.

Even with CLE's shoddy measuring, this will still end up being a top 10 snowiest February. It should be the second snowiest February, but will end up being around 7th snowiest.

Regarding the glaring inaccurate snowfall measurement on Saturday, the F6 shows a depth at 7am on the 21st of 9". The snow depth at 7am the day prior was 6". That means the entirety of the 2.7" that "supposedly" fell on Saturday occurred by 7am and that no more snow fell the rest of the day. 

This month is still on track to be the coldest February on record and second coldest month on record. 

What is wrong with the measuring at CLE!? I seriously doubt they had only 0.3" of snow yesterday. Every spotter in Cuyahoga County had over an inch. They have under measured this year by a good 10". It's like some person who hates snow is measuring and it makes them feel better by constantly under reporting what falls.

Pretty good consensus on another 4-6 snowfall on Sunday. Next week looks active. Would really prefer no soaking rain though..

I'm rooting for a warm and rainy cutter next week... the snow has to melt at some point. We could do without flooding, but I think that is inevitable given the snow pack. The snow is so dense and deep it is difficult to walk around in it. I must be getting old but I'm done with winter.

I'm rooting for a warm and rainy cutter next week... the snow has to melt at some point. We could do without flooding, but I think that is inevitable given the snow pack. The snow is so dense and deep it is difficult to walk around in it. I must be getting old but I'm done with winter.

I tend to agree. After Sunday we will probably be approaching 110" for the year. Definitely has been a great year. I was more referring to soaking rains causing rapid snow melt and flooding. Would rather it be a slower process.

I tend to agree. After Sunday we will probably be approaching 110" for the year. Definitely has been a great year. I was more referring to soaking rains causing rapid snow melt and flooding. Would rather it be a slower process.

I hope so as well. I think the snow will be able to absorb quite a bit of rain. But it the temp and dewpoint spike it could get ugly.

6z GFS would be near disaster. I didn't look closely but it brings thunderstorms in with the mid-week system. Best case at this point is the storm is on the weaker side and we only see 40's and stratiform rain. 50's or warmer with storms would be bad ala the end of February 2011. The gulf will be wide open ahead of this storm so it's possible if the storm winds up at all.

CLE issued a watch for 6-10". Seems bullish but we'll see. BUF's onboard so confidence must be high,

Ya I thought that was a little over zealous as well. Should be a lower ratio snow to add to the current glacier. I'd be curious what the water content in our snowpack is. Has to be above 2".

Going to be another cold night. Was -3 on the way home earlier.

Rather unimpressive event here. 3.5" total. Only had a few bursts of heavier snow, otherwise mostly showery. Depth is now 19".

4.0" total here. Although it may be poor measuring on my part. Depth is anywhere from 17-22". The strong sun angle is making its presence felt.

The F6 for that snow storm a few Saturday's back was just updated and a straight 10:1 ratio was applied, which is still underdone, but not as off.

CLE just needs 2.5" more snow this season to hit normal.

The last 30 days or so will really be one of the most memorable stretches of weather in Cleveland.

The spring lake breeze season is bound to be a brutal one again for lakeshore areas.