• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Anniversary of Rocktober Halloween snow bomb

Ginx snewx

8" of concrete paste. Tree down over end of driveway and blocking my street Popping breaking tree's everywhere with power out for 6 days.  A 7.5" garbage winter followed, just like the winter that followed my last October snow of significance in 1979-80.

You left out the king of kraptastic winters, 1972-3, where we had snow on October 19 (or 17 I forget which) followed by the record low snowfall for KNYC.

The analysis of the storm on this board, and from one of the on-air mets on NECN, were instrumental in my preparations for this event, as meager as they were. But I did manage to buy a new shovel and get the snow blower out of the shed the day before it happened.

We lost power at about 6:30 PM. After it got dark, and the snow continued to pile up on the trees, we could hear the snap, snap, snap of the trees out in the woods as they were loosing limbs and crowns left and right. We had a huge oak tree close to 2 feet in diameter and 80 feet tall, break about 20 feet up in the air. It fell toward the house, but it was mostly blocked by another oak tree when the falling oak had a v notch between two large branches catch the trunk of the adjacent oak tree. As the falling oak slid down the adjacent oak, it stripped all the branches on the adjacent oak starting at about 50 feet up in the air. Photo of the oak that fell below.

I've lived in my town for about 12 years, and except for that event, we lost power maybe 10 times and never for more than an hour. The power was out for 98.5 hours. My three small kids really missed the TV and computer, and I really missed the electric stove. Ended up cooking on a backpacking stove and a gas grill. We were lucky - my inlaws were without power for 5 days.

Some photos:

Broken maple tree in my back yard, top snapped off about 1/2 way up. Missed the swing set:

post-1620-0-11272600-1414676763_thumb.jp

Deepest snow of the year if I recall correctly, snow was plastered on everything:

post-1620-0-70565900-1414676857_thumb.jp

Where the oak landed is where I usually park my truck:

post-1620-0-18756700-1414676942_thumb.jp

Above mentioned analysis convinced me to park the truck further up the driveway away from the trees. Good thing I did.

Kids had some fun in the snow the next day:

post-1620-0-30672300-1414676975_thumb.jp

Archived