joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid clouds screwed me on the wind and high once again at this place. I guess the cloud prog of the USL is good here. Who would have thought that? Anyways, felt like tomorrow since the USL has a very small percentage of clouds tomorrow that I can go warm and hit. Also hoping it clears out tonight and goes calm for a couple hours before sunrise too. Winds will probably be the same tomorrow as today. 

61/28/26/0

29 kt wind today. Should have gone with 30 today instead of yesterday.

Yeah Max was right, that cloud layer at 6 to 7 thousand feet made the difference with temperatures and winds yesterday vs. today. I let the wave clouds from yesterday scare me out of going 61 today. A classic case of "zigging when I should've zagged." Oh well. Sitting at 5th in the nation through week 1 so I can't complain too much.

The potential was there, with clear skies and light winds. I had initially had 28F, but stupidly got cold feet and bumped up by a degree. :(

You still did pretty good relative to consensus though... I was a little gunshy because the WRF-ARW (which had been exhibiting a cold bias the last week or so) was only going down to 29F. Oh well. 

My #'s 69/30/22/0.00

Looks like we will be battling this week for a possible Cat 2 Overall trophy :)

Should be a great week to forecast too, with the threat of an upslope snowfall on Wednesday/Thursday. Thank god we got this city instead of Key West. 

You still did pretty good relative to consensus though... I was a little gunshy because the WRF-ARW (which had been exhibiting a cold bias the last week or so) was only going down to 29F. Oh well. 

My #'s 69/30/22/0.00

Looks like we will be battling this week for a possible Cat 2 Overall trophy :)

Should be a great week to forecast too, with the threat of an upslope snowfall on Wednesday/Thursday. Thank god we got this city instead of Key West. 

Yep! As long as there are no big surprises today, I'm 0.11 points behind the third place cat 2 in overall score. With three days left, that puts me within striking distance, I think! And as you say, you're very close behind me. Maybe with some luck, we could knock blzzrd and KFAT12 out, leaving russ99, you, and me at the top. ;)

Went 59/30/26/0.01"

Took the warmer end for the high because it looks like they may be fairly sunny until about 18-19z with good mixing, but we'll see how quickly the front moves through. Went a little high for the wind but with decent mixing in a CAA regime with a fairly strong pressure gradient I think the winds can overperform tomorrow.

Went 59/30/26/0.01"

Took the warmer end for the high because it looks like they may be fairly sunny until about 18-19z with good mixing, but we'll see how quickly the front moves through. Went a little high for the wind but with decent mixing in a CAA regime with a fairly strong pressure gradient I think the winds can overperform tomorrow.

Similar thoughts, except on the low which I think cloud cover will move in behind FROPA and prevent any significant radiational cooling tomorrow night. Upslope flow won't really begin in earnest until after 06z, so I think its unlikely they recieve precipitation (unless a convective shower gets them). If it gets colder than my forecast low, it will likely have to happen tonight (and clouds are expected tonight too).

59/33/27/0.00

Similar thoughts, except on the low which I think cloud cover will move in behind FROPA and prevent any significant radiational cooling tomorrow night. Upslope flow won't really begin in earnest until after 06z, so I think its unlikely they recieve precipitation (unless a convective shower gets them). If it gets colder than my forecast low, it will likely have to happen tonight (and clouds are expected tonight too).

59/33/27/0.00

The NAM appeared to show some window for clear/somewhat calmer winds tomorrow evening, but if it stays cloudier the warmer low will work out. I was worried about a convective shower enough to go 0.01", although that's really just a play for 0.4 points if it rains so it doesn't really make a difference.

The NAM appeared to show some window for clear/somewhat calmer winds tomorrow evening, but if it stays cloudier the warmer low will work out. I was worried about a convective shower enough to go 0.01", although that's really just a play for 0.4 points if it rains so it doesn't really make a difference.

The Euro 2m temps. on wunderground definitely implied that they at least had the potential to go below 30F, despite not explicitly showing the contour right over them (just to the west). I'm definitely concerned about it though, NAM BUFKIT shows it being pretty well mixed right up through 06z.

So they're dropping the precipitation verification for day 7 at KMGM. Which is dumb.

The precipitation values are consistent with what the radar depicted at the time. Moreover, all the RAB and RAE codes are in the METAR data, and the METARs properly reported precipitation for each hour during which they said there was precipitation. There is nothing in the METAR data, especially when the radar is taken into account, to suggest that the precipitation verification was in error.

This has a significant negative impact on the potential for me, and Phil, to get a trophy. The current top-3 overall category 2 forecasters all had lower precipitation forecasts that day than I did, and I had a lower forecast than Phil did, and we were all too low. That means that dropping the precipitation verification will help the current top three significantly more than it will help me, and help me more than it helps Phil, thus the top three cat 2's solidify their lead, I fall further behind, and Phil even further.

So they're dropping the precipitation verification for day 7 at KMGM. Which is dumb.

The precipitation values are consistent with what the radar depicted at the time. Moreover, all the RAB and RAE codes are in the METAR data, and the METARs properly reported precipitation for each hour during which they said there was precipitation. There is nothing in the METAR data, especially when the radar is taken into account, to suggest that the precipitation verification was in error.

This has a significant negative impact on the potential for me, and Phil, to get a trophy. The current top-3 overall category 2 forecasters all had lower precipitation forecasts that day than I did, and I had a lower forecast than Phil did, and we were all too low. That means that dropping the precipitation verification will help the current top three significantly more than it will help me, and help me more than it helps Phil, thus the top three cat 2's solidify their lead, I fall further behind, and Phil even further.

I'm on the opposite side of this type of story. Myself and Scott8 both had 0 precip for Day 7, which means I could end up with a trophy. I'm not sure exactly if they're planning on leaving the winds each day on 0.

As of now I finished 2nd it Category 4 forecasters, and moved up a spot to 5th on the yearly cumulative scoring too. I still don't know exactly why they decided to make the precip change though, I didnt think anything was wrong with their precip reporting.

Archived