Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

83/62/16/0

Actually had a warmer low but was worried the warm front wouldn't get there quite in time. Locations in the southeasterly winds to the south are still in the upper 60's/lower 70's so if the front gets there by 4-5z I could still see my low working out, but it's iffy. If they get some clearing I feel ok on the high, but I could see 78-85 depending on how much clearing. It may rain but chances were small so I just put 0.

83/58/17/0.02

Think we see a 06z low that's in the 58-59F range. Worried about how much cloud cover there is tomorrow. It if they do see some sun, low 80s should be doable with decent mixing. I put a token amount of precip because there is quite a bit of uncertainty related to how far east the precip makes it both overnight and tomorrow night. A lot of the ECMWF ensembles had > 0.1" precip at KMGM before 06z tomorrow. Hedging my bets here.

83/57/17/0... really not confident at all with the forecast, especially the low. My reasoning for the 57F is that the southerlies will get there and kick up the dew points, but that they'll be a little slower than some models have, and so dew points won't have time to respond quickly enough for the low to be closer to 59/60. But I could see scenarios on either side.

Damn.

Southerlies kicked in way late, but the clouds were enough to keep them up anyhow.

Maybe not 79, but I can still see 80-81 working out which is a lot better than 83. Going from 76 to 83 in just few hours of warming left is a lot to ask, me think.

I don't know... we're still ahead of schedule compared to models and MOS forecasts. I think 82-84 seems most likely to me, right now.

Yea it cleared out quite nicely... now the question becomes how far east (if at all) that squall line can advance in W AL... most numerical guidance says it stays quasi-stationary and remains a couple counties west of KMGM, but squall lines are not always handled well by numerical guidance. 

83/64/10/0

Am taking a risk on the high and am a bit torn...however, large scale ascent doesn't look very strong for much of the day tomorrow so I'm thinking they may get away with a broken deck of mid clouds and get some solar insolation through them. It looks like they have decent potential to mix about as high as today if there's just a little more sun than models show, and temps at the top of the mixed layer look just about the same as today, so I think there's potential for the highs to bust warm again. If they are completely overcast that won't happen which is why it's a risk on my part.

83/64/10/0

Am taking a risk on the high and am a bit torn...however, large scale ascent doesn't look very strong for much of the day tomorrow so I'm thinking they may get away with a broken deck of mid clouds and get some solar insolation through them. It looks like they have decent potential to mix about as high as today if there's just a little more sun than models show, and temps at the top of the mixed layer look just about the same as today, so I think there's potential for the highs to bust warm again. If they are completely overcast that won't happen which is why it's a risk on my part.

Boundary layer winds are much much weaker. How can they mix close to what they did today?

Archived