• Member Statistics

    16,737
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WX Fan
    Newest Member
    WX Fan
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Had a couple great looking cucumbers ready to go (got my garden started way to late this year).

 

Woke up this morning to multiple bunnies merrily chomping away, somehow they broke/chewed thru the fencing

 

Now I just get to tell tales of how amazing they would have been :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Knoxtron said:

Had a couple great looking cucumbers ready to go (got my garden started way to late this year).

 

Woke up this morning to multiple bunnies merrily chomping away, somehow they broke/chewed thru the fencing

 

Now I just get to tell tales of how amazing they would have been :)

I haven't had trouble with pests yet, but I gave an evil eye to the bunny I spotted in the neighbor's yard - we'll see if he got the memo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastKnox said:

How are the forum gardens fairing?  Here's a pic of my corn.

IMG_1200.jpg

Great share.  Your Hickory Cane corn is massive.  As for how my garden is doing?

Pretty much switched over to all summer stuff.  This was a big year for potatoes and garlic.  Summer stuff is about 2-3 weeks behind due to the late start, but it is going to hit in a wave pretty soon.  Been a banner pepper year.  I will try to get some pics uploaded later.  My garden looks night and day to what it was two months ago.  It has gone nuts.  Copper spray has kept much of the disease away on my tomatoes - so far.  Should be a really good garden year.  Need more rain as this heat really sucks the moisture right out of the ground.  No amount of humidity can slow moisture loss in 90+ degree heat.  The soil just gets baked.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My heirloom maters started surging this week.  Some of the hemp is 6 feet high.  Overall things are thriving over here although we're getting quite dry and the sprinkler is getting some use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice picture! Is she your daughter? Precious! 

It's funny I never know where in life forum members are. I've a daughter who loves the outdoors. She's a bit older, is every bit the explorer too!

On 7/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, EastKnox said:

How are the forum gardens fairing?  Here's a pic of my corn.

IMG_1200.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, nrgjeff said:

Nice picture! Is she your daughter? Precious! 

It's funny I never know where in life forum members are. I've a daughter who loves the outdoors. She's a bit older, is every bit the explorer too!

 

Yep, I have two daughters - they're about to turn 4 and 2.  I married late and had kids later, so raising these young 'ens in my early 40s has been a good challenge.  But I hope I can guide them to appreciate weather and gardening as they get older.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stovepipe, man, planted some sorghum this year.  Crushing it today, and going to boil it down into molasses - I hope!  I bought a hand mile.  It is kicking my butt.  LOL.  Doing a nice job of getting that green juice out of the cane, but whew....much respect to our ancestors who figure out a horse or mule was a better source of energy.  About 30 minutes into this, I was wondering if I could convert the hand mill over, and just drive my mower around it in circles!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

@Stovepipe, man, planted some sorghum this year.  Crushing it today, and going to boil it down into molasses - I hope!  I bought a hand mile.  It is kicking my butt.  LOL.  Doing a nice job of getting that green juice out of the cane, but whew....much respect to our ancestors who figure out a horse or mule was a better source of energy.  About 30 minutes into this, I was wondering if I could convert the hand mill over, and just drive my mower around it in circles!!!!

That's great man!  It's nice to try different experiments every year.  I'm with you, I've gained much respect for ancestors and how they lived with this gardening journey.

I've had my hands full with my first outdoor hemp harvest the past few weeks.  It has been laborious but satisfying and I've learned a lot.  I still have several more plants to cut down and process, some of which I'm going to save until after first frost to see how that affects flower potency.  Between harvesting, drying, trimming, and curing it's been some work but I believe I'll have some nice organic medicine to peddle soon.  Pro tip:  Composted chicken poop makes for great cannabis fertilizer!  Some plants reached 8 feet high before leaning over from the weight of dense flowers.  I'll get some pictures up soon.  :guitar:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awaken all ye garden enthusiasts.  What's happening in the local gardens this year?  I'm waiting till the 15th to make a decision on planting warm season stuff.  I'll feel safer at that point.  I believe we had a cold shot in early May last year.

 

David

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EastKnox said:

Awaken all ye garden enthusiasts.  What's happening in the local gardens this year?  I'm waiting till the 15th to make a decision on planting warm season stuff.  I'll feel safer at that point.  I believe we had a cold shot in early May last year.

 

David

Monitoring a potential cold shot which could mature into another frost/freeze around the 19th.  Appears to be a western ridge/eastern trough on both ensembles and operationals setting up shop.  Can't tell if this is a long duration event or not.  Heat is building in the Southwest at the same time which I would think would have a chance at coming eastward at some point.  Would not be surprised a cool 10-14 time frame from April 14th-24th(maybe longer....just don't know).  So holding off in NE TN right now until probably the Kentucky Derby weekend.  All of the above info could change as modeling is especially fickle during shoulder season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EastKnox said:

Awaken all ye garden enthusiasts.  What's happening in the local gardens this year?  I'm waiting till the 15th to make a decision on planting warm season stuff.  I'll feel safer at that point.  I believe we had a cold shot in early May last year.

 

David

Tomatoes, basil, dill, and peppers....started those indoors a few weeks ago though!  Have a smaller high tunnel which I use outside as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to do some container gardening this year and plant more corn and sunflowers in my plowed areas.  I'll probably get things in around May 10th. I never try before then. To many first week of May freezes hit my area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planted corn 8 days ago, still not up yet.  The ground just isn't warming very fast with 60s/low 40s almost every day. Planted tomatoes and sunflowers today. Got the last in the ground about 5 minutes before the storm hit around 6pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 1:09 AM, John1122 said:

Planted corn 8 days ago, still not up yet.  The ground just isn't warming very fast with 60s/low 40s almost every day. Planted tomatoes and sunflowers today. Got the last in the ground about 5 minutes before the storm hit around 6pm. 

I put mine in the ground Sunday evening.  I aim for a 3-4 day stretch where it doesn't get below 50 at night.  I don't think I'll have that problem this week.  :)  I planted cucumber seeds late last week and they have sprouted as of yesterday.  Tomato and pepper transplants are going in the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The peppers in my garden are hating these cold nights.  Manage to coax up some beans despite the cold rains a few weeks ago.  Dry summers actually work for my garden provided there is no sudden spike in humidity which summons all kinds of plant disease.  I haven't planted corn yet.  Will probably swap out some cool wx stuff next week and plant some sweet corn.  Sweet potatoes are also due to be planted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.