• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

Had a couple great looking cucumbers ready to go (got my garden started way to late this year).

Woke up this morning to multiple bunnies merrily chomping away, somehow they broke/chewed thru the fencing

Now I just get to tell tales of how amazing they would have been :)

17 minutes ago, Knoxtron said:

Had a couple great looking cucumbers ready to go (got my garden started way to late this year).

Woke up this morning to multiple bunnies merrily chomping away, somehow they broke/chewed thru the fencing

Now I just get to tell tales of how amazing they would have been :)

I haven't had trouble with pests yet, but I gave an evil eye to the bunny I spotted in the neighbor's yard - we'll see if he got the memo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastKnox said:

How are the forum gardens fairing?  Here's a pic of my corn.

IMG_1200.jpg

Great share.  Your Hickory Cane corn is massive.  As for how my garden is doing?

Pretty much switched over to all summer stuff.  This was a big year for potatoes and garlic.  Summer stuff is about 2-3 weeks behind due to the late start, but it is going to hit in a wave pretty soon.  Been a banner pepper year.  I will try to get some pics uploaded later.  My garden looks night and day to what it was two months ago.  It has gone nuts.  Copper spray has kept much of the disease away on my tomatoes - so far.  Should be a really good garden year.  Need more rain as this heat really sucks the moisture right out of the ground.  No amount of humidity can slow moisture loss in 90+ degree heat.  The soil just gets baked.  

• Like 3

My heirloom maters started surging this week.  Some of the hemp is 6 feet high.  Overall things are thriving over here although we're getting quite dry and the sprinkler is getting some use.

• Like 2

Nice picture! Is she your daughter? Precious! 

It's funny I never know where in life forum members are. I've a daughter who loves the outdoors. She's a bit older, is every bit the explorer too!

On 7/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, EastKnox said:

How are the forum gardens fairing?  Here's a pic of my corn.

IMG_1200.jpg

On 7/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, nrgjeff said:

Nice picture! Is she your daughter? Precious! 

It's funny I never know where in life forum members are. I've a daughter who loves the outdoors. She's a bit older, is every bit the explorer too!

Yep, I have two daughters - they're about to turn 4 and 2.  I married late and had kids later, so raising these young 'ens in my early 40s has been a good challenge.  But I hope I can guide them to appreciate weather and gardening as they get older.

• Like 1

@Stovepipe, man, planted some sorghum this year.  Crushing it today, and going to boil it down into molasses - I hope!  I bought a hand mile.  It is kicking my butt.  LOL.  Doing a nice job of getting that green juice out of the cane, but whew....much respect to our ancestors who figure out a horse or mule was a better source of energy.  About 30 minutes into this, I was wondering if I could convert the hand mill over, and just drive my mower around it in circles!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

@Stovepipe, man, planted some sorghum this year.  Crushing it today, and going to boil it down into molasses - I hope!  I bought a hand mile.  It is kicking my butt.  LOL.  Doing a nice job of getting that green juice out of the cane, but whew....much respect to our ancestors who figure out a horse or mule was a better source of energy.  About 30 minutes into this, I was wondering if I could convert the hand mill over, and just drive my mower around it in circles!!!!

That's great man!  It's nice to try different experiments every year.  I'm with you, I've gained much respect for ancestors and how they lived with this gardening journey.

I've had my hands full with my first outdoor hemp harvest the past few weeks.  It has been laborious but satisfying and I've learned a lot.  I still have several more plants to cut down and process, some of which I'm going to save until after first frost to see how that affects flower potency.  Between harvesting, drying, trimming, and curing it's been some work but I believe I'll have some nice organic medicine to peddle soon.  Pro tip:  Composted chicken poop makes for great cannabis fertilizer!  Some plants reached 8 feet high before leaning over from the weight of dense flowers.  I'll get some pictures up soon.  :guitar:

• Like 1

Awaken all ye garden enthusiasts.  What's happening in the local gardens this year?  I'm waiting till the 15th to make a decision on planting warm season stuff.  I'll feel safer at that point.  I believe we had a cold shot in early May last year.

David

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EastKnox said:

Awaken all ye garden enthusiasts.  What's happening in the local gardens this year?  I'm waiting till the 15th to make a decision on planting warm season stuff.  I'll feel safer at that point.  I believe we had a cold shot in early May last year.

David

Monitoring a potential cold shot which could mature into another frost/freeze around the 19th.  Appears to be a western ridge/eastern trough on both ensembles and operationals setting up shop.  Can't tell if this is a long duration event or not.  Heat is building in the Southwest at the same time which I would think would have a chance at coming eastward at some point.  Would not be surprised a cool 10-14 time frame from April 14th-24th(maybe longer....just don't know).  So holding off in NE TN right now until probably the Kentucky Derby weekend.  All of the above info could change as modeling is especially fickle during shoulder season.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EastKnox said:

David

Tomatoes, basil, dill, and peppers....started those indoors a few weeks ago though!  Have a smaller high tunnel which I use outside as well.

I'm going to do some container gardening this year and plant more corn and sunflowers in my plowed areas.  I'll probably get things in around May 10th. I never try before then. To many first week of May freezes hit my area.

• Like 1