• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

My concern is the euro pulled the same stunt the other night and changed again during the afternoon run.I was not really to impressed with 12 Z gfs in my back yard. Looks like a few inches may be possible on the back end.

Going to hope for strong dynamics and my elevation to pull out a decent event.

Still expect  decent rains. Not sure what occurs very late tonight into tomorrow morning.

I told you the GFS would slowly correct west every run. It should be done by 00z run. Euro is king in these situations but that being said, having a storm coming west of north is a challenge for the models to figure out exactly how far back it comes before it bends back out. 25 or 50 miles further east means all the difference in the world at this point or you

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is some EURO map...lol.  Draw a line up from Warwick due north and you have the heaviest axis. 9 inches over Warwick village.....8-9 inches up to the warwick/chester/monroe border......7-8 inches from Monroe, Chester Goshen..towards Middletown....9 inches as you approach the northern OC border just west of the thruway and 7 inches from Middletown to Jervis along 84.....amounts increase on 17 west  of Middletown up to 9 or 10 inches as you cross into Sullivan

The river at POU is the battle zone....6 at the bridge....8-9 at NP.....as you head east thru POU it drops off like an inch a mile...lol

Thanks...that's quite a gradient. Been seeing that in the area around POU for a few runs now. Would be like a half foot at the MetroNorth with nothing at Vassar, haha.

Now a Winter Storm Warning for Sullivan County (NY) -

Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 2:49 PM EST on December 08, 2014

...Winter Storm Warning in effect from 4 am Tuesday to 7 am EST Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a Winter Storm Warning for snow, sleet and freezing rain...which is in effect from 4 am Tuesday to 7 am EST Thursday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.

* Locations...Poconos, Wyoming and Lackawanna valleys in northeast Pennsylvania and Sullivan County New York.

* Hazards...freezing rain and sleet will move in before daybreak then become snow late in the afternoon and continuing heavy at time on Tuesday night. Steady snow will continue through Thursday morning.

* Accumulations...8 to 12 inches of snow, with lower amounts in the valleys and higher accumulations in the higher terrain. A tenth to one quarter of an inch of ice in the higher elevations.

* Timing...freezing rain and sleet will move in before daybreak. Becoming snow late Tuesday afternoon and continuing overnight on Tuesday, heavy at times. Steady snow will continue into Thursday morning.

* Temperatures...in the lower 30s.

* Winds...northwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

* Impacts...freezing rain and sleet during the day on Tuesday will result in hazardous travel. Travel will become dangerous during the overnight hours in heavy snow. Slippery travel can be expected through Thursday morning.

CCB overhead at hour 33 on the 18z NAM... soundings suggest ripping snow west of the river and sleet for me.

overheard an extended time for NW areas.

really wondering if we get any plain rain off this NAM run at all..

NAM has blown so many forecast over the years for me, I just can't bite it.

Have read numerous times that it does well with temp profiles etc .

overheard an extended time for NW areas.

really wondering if we get any plain rain off this NAM run at all..

NAM has blown so many forecast over the years for me, I just can't bite it.

Have read numerous times that it does well with temp profiles etc .

Around 6 inches for you by 7pm tomorrow....then we either lull or transition for awhile. I'm waiting on round 2 to run

I know the 18z NAM is often as useless as you know what on a bull, but the lack of precip once you go west of the Delaware as compared to other modelling throwing back big snows well into the Poconos, tells you this complex setup will wind up a nowcast deal .The truth may not be correctly modeled until we are well into the storm. Lean on Euro if anything though.

Archived