Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Online Meteorology Courses / Degrees

Ralph Wiggum

Hi all,

Didn't know where to post this so here goes:

So as some of you know, I am about 1/2 of the way to earning my met degree with those credits taken coming from PSU (finished with the chem, physics, and math yay). I am currently looking to finalize this degree in my now middle age (denial) but am unable to attend a college away from home due to family and work obligations. i am hoping to gain a degree and change fields and move into a pro forecasters job in the not-so-distant future. 

With that said, I see that PSU has a program to get a pro forecaster degree online, but I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to 'graduate' with an online degree in meteo from any campuses or if there is somewhere nearby in SE PA where I could commute to in order to attain this degree? I'd really like to finish up the meteo degree since I am already about halfway there but I'm not even sure if the credits I've taken will carry over. 

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction please?

I thank you in advance!

Steve

I had attempted to do the same thing some 20 years ago- decided to change fields and went back to school at Millersville for a Meteorology degree. I did well in my classes but found while working full-time nights and going to school full-time, it became impossible to spend much time in the weather lab where the real craft of forecasting is learned.

You certainly have a huge leg up from your participation here and obviously know your stuff so it would probably be much more realistic for you. I know Drexel used to have a decent Meteo program but not sure what is offered on-line.

Good luck to ya, Ralph/Steve.

Hi all,

Didn't know where to post this so here goes:

So as some of you know, I am about 1/2 of the way to earning my met degree with those credits taken coming from PSU (finished with the chem, physics, and math yay). I am currently looking to finalize this degree in my now middle age (denial) but am unable to attend a college away from home due to family and work obligations. i am hoping to gain a degree and change fields and move into a pro forecasters job in the not-so-distant future. 

With that said, I see that PSU has a program to get a pro forecaster degree online, but I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to 'graduate' with an online degree in meteo from any campuses or if there is somewhere nearby in SE PA where I could commute to in order to attain this degree? I'd really like to finish up the meteo degree since I am already about halfway there but I'm not even sure if the credits I've taken will carry over. 

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction please?

I thank you in advance!

Steve

As a Penn State Student myself I would get in touch with a Penn State Adviser and talk about your situation and explain that you are looking to complete your degree (even if you don't intend to go to school at psu) and see if they can put you in touch with any faculty who could point toward another schools program/proper online coursework and audit what coursework you have already completed. You might look into if there is anything offered at your local Penn State commonwealth campus. Surf though this resource to check for course offerings: http://schedule.psu.edu/ and this to look at our current program requirements: http://bulletins.psu.edu/undergrad/programs/baccalaureate/M/METEO

As a Penn State Student myself I would get in touch with a Penn State Adviser and talk about your situation and explain that you are looking to complete your degree (even if you don't intend to go to school at psu) and see if they can put you in touch with any faculty who could point toward another schools program/proper online coursework and audit what coursework you have already completed. You might look into if there is anything offered at your local Penn State commonwealth campus. Surf though this resource to check for course offerings: http://schedule.psu.edu/ and this to look at our current program requirements: http://bulletins.psu.edu/undergrad/programs/baccalaureate/M/METEO

Ralph, I looked into this hard early last year, I was actually down at nbc10 studios talking with Glenn about it. The online degrees won't get you a job, especially with any one reputable. Psu online is more of a class for a hobby, or to run a page such as EPAWA, bobby has this certificate, you could talk to him.

You have the core math and science it sounds like? Id call MSU and see if those core classes will transfer, I think it's 4 years of physics and calc needed to meet NWS requirements. But if they won't transfer them it's gonna be a waste of money.

I believe the degree at MSU is called "bachelor of science with emphasis on meteorology" and it was $45k all set and done. And I believe the PSU course is $1500. Hope that helps some!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ralph, I looked into this hard early last year, I was actually down at nbc10 studios talking with Glenn about it. The online degrees won't get you a job, especially with any one reputable. Psu online is more of a class for a hobby, or to run a page such as EPAWA, bobby has this certificate, you could talk to him.

You have the core math and science it sounds like? Id call MSU and see if those core classes will transfer, I think it's 4 years of physics and calc needed to meet NWS requirements. But if they won't transfer them it's gonna be a waste of money.

I believe the degree at MSU is called "bachelor of science with emphasis on meteorology" and it was $45k all set and done. And I believe the PSU course is $1500. Hope that helps some!

Sent from my iPad

so glen essentially told you getting a bachelor of arts in geo sciences or meteo makes you less of a met? Is that why you gave up? Just curious.

so glen essentially told you getting a bachelor of arts in geo sciences or meteo makes you less of a met? Is that why you gave up? Just curious.

There are pretty specific requirements for a meteorologist bachelor's of science degree which the NWS generally adheres to in order to get hired.  I suspect most private companies also follow those guidelines, though I'm not sure about that.

thanks for the feedback Ray

Spelled out here:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/nws/careers.htm

Degree: Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or other natural science major that included at least 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) in meteorology/atmospheric science including:

• 6 semester hours in Atmospheric Dynamics *
  • 6 semester hours of analysis and prediction of weather systems (synoptic/mesoscale)
  • 3 semester hours of physical meteorology; and
  • 2 semester hours of remote sensing of the atmosphere and/or instrumentation.
  • 6 semester hours of physics with at least one course that includes laboratory sessions. *
  • 3 semester hours of ordinary differential equations.
  • At least 9 semester hours of course work for a physical science major in any combination of three or more of the following:
    • Physical Hydrology
    • Chemistry
    • Physical Climatology
    • Aeronomy
    • Computer Science
    • Advanced Electricity and Magnetism
    • Statistics
    • Physical Oceanography
    • Radiative Transfer
    • Advanced Thermodynamics
    • Light and Optics
    * Prerequisite or corequisite of calculus for course work in atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics, physics and differential equations. Calculus courses must be appropriate for a physical science major.

Spelled out here:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/nws/careers.htm

Degree: Meteorology, Atmospheric Science or other natural science major that included at least 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) in meteorology/atmospheric science including:

• 6 semester hours in Atmospheric Dynamics *
  • 6 semester hours of analysis and prediction of weather systems (synoptic/mesoscale)
  • 3 semester hours of physical meteorology; and
  • 2 semester hours of remote sensing of the atmosphere and/or instrumentation.
  • 6 semester hours of physics with at least one course that includes laboratory sessions. *
  • 3 semester hours of ordinary differential equations.
  • At least 9 semester hours of course work for a physical science major in any combination of three or more of the following:
    • Physical Hydrology
    • Chemistry
    • Physical Climatology
    • Aeronomy
    • Computer Science
    • Advanced Electricity and Magnetism
    • Statistics
    • Physical Oceanography
    • Radiative Transfer
    • Advanced Thermodynamics
    • Light and Optics
    * Prerequisite or corequisite of calculus for course work in atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics, physics and differential equations. Calculus courses must be appropriate for a physical science major.

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.  Now you've all got me thinking about it for the one millionth time!  lol.  The worst part is that it could actually work now.... I've got all the math and physical science coursework long done (one of the few positives of having an engineering degree), and, as of last June, I live right up the street from University of Oklahoma and, of course, the Storm Prediction Center.  If I can't come up with a good excuse soon, I might have to actually follow through and do it.     

Not too discourage anyone from pursuing they're interests,but I just want to let you know that finding a job in the field right now is extremely difficult. Even if you are lucky enough to find a job, expect to work nights, weekends, holidays, and be paid relatively little. Now this isn't to say it's not worth getting the degree if it's something you truly love and don't care about the drawbacks.

I graduated from PSU with straight A's, did an internship, participated in WxChallenge and finished in the top 20 in the nation, and worked in the field for a couple of years immediately after college, and still found it nearly impossible to find a job even remotely close to where I'd like to live and/or making more than about 30K.

Hope I'm not coming off as being extremely negative! Sometimes I just wish I had known a little more before I made my decision of meteorology :cry:

Not too discourage anyone from pursuing they're interests,but I just want to let you know that finding a job in the field right now is extremely difficult. Even if you are lucky enough to find a job, expect to work nights, weekends, holidays, and be paid relatively little. Now this isn't to say it's not worth getting the degree if it's something you truly love and don't care about the drawbacks.

I graduated from PSU with straight A's, did an internship, participated in WxChallenge and finished in the top 20 in the nation, and worked in the field for a couple of years immediately after college, and still found it nearly impossible to find a job even remotely close to where I'd like to live and/or making more than about 30K.

Hope I'm not coming off as being extremely negative! Sometimes I just wish I had known a little more before I made my decision of meteorology :cry:

fwiw I'm not necessarily looking for a job in the field as I already am involved in a great career. This is for general knowledge and hobby and since I am about halfway there with the prerequisites and a few meteo courses. I figured I should go back once and for all and just complete my second bachelors degree :-) And I've worked weekends, nights, and holidays my whole life.

Lastly, meteo is my true passion and I would do it for free if I could. Heck I kind of already do it as a hobby now 144hrs a week...so I'm not discouraged by this post. We all got the same speech as freshmen at psu!

Steve, Best of luck! Agree with what many have said on here definitely talk with someone at PSU first to give you some background on what coursework is still good and if you can get into a met program. Online options are limited, the MSU program is mainly for broadcast met's. Though I know two people who have done it not in the broadcast field that live in this area. Connections in the field are also important to get noticed enough to get a job. Right now only half of met graduates are finding jobs. even with good grades, internships etc. In terms of pay the NWS goes from GS-5 (35 ish K a year) to a GS-11(60K) in the entry position, adjusted for location. Lead forecasters such as rainshadow (Tony) make the big bucks at a GS-13.   Most private sector companies are less than this scale though. 

Hope I'm not coming off as being extremely negative! Sometimes I just wish I had known a little more before I made my decision of meteorology

Back in '79 when I was trying to decide between meteo and chemistry at my freshman orientation, I ended going with the chemistry for that very reason.  Back then, they used to do grading of the job opportunities and meteo consistently came up as "C" or worse.  I expect like old chemists, old Mets never die, they fade away (so little or no turnover).  :oldman: 

Got my info and application for fall semester 2014 in the mail today from Mississippi State University. Hopefully my PSU credits transfer over with no issues. However the advisor at MSU says I can take any needed courses up here at an accredited school. Good thing we have so many decent colleges in the area. Very excited to get the ball rolling with this.

Thanks for all the responses and the red taggers for taking time out of your day to reply :-)

Archived