• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

TWN and Farnell are saying 1977-78 at 81 days but per the EC climo page the old record was 85 days in 1969-70.

I forget if the March 2011 snowstorm had a warning or not. If not, then yeah. There was WS watch for the April 2-3, 2005 storm that was never upgarded and a WS warning for the April 2003 icestorm but that was mostly for PL/ZR.

Was 1969-70 >1cm everyday for those 85 days? How many days did 1970-71 and 1971-72 have? If i remember correctly, both Winters were extremely cold as well. As it stands, 1970-71 remains as Canada's coldest Winter on record.  

And March 2011 didn't have any warning as far as I can remember. Just special weather statements. 

Given what went down last week, its going to take a lot to get a warning out of EC this time around. Especially considering how narrow the swath of heavy snow will be with this system, forecast uncertainty will be higher than usual.

True. Its still 3-4 days out so anything is possible atm. We'll know for sure once we get closer. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was 1969-70 >1cm everyday for those 85 days? How many days did 1970-71 and 1971-72 have? If i remember correctly, both Winters were extremely cold as well. As it stands, 1970-71 remains as Canada's coldest Winter on record.  

And March 2011 didn't have any warning as far as I can remember. Just special weather statements. 

True. Its still 3-4 days out so anything is possible atm. We'll know for sure once we get closer. 

Was 1969-70 >1cm everyday for those 85 days? .... YES

How many days did 1970-71 and 1971-72 have? 77 and 65 respectively.

SREF mean a little over an inch. My bad for starting the thread. Since I started posting on these BBs in 2006 not a one has worked out.

I started a Toronto Blue Jays thread in May 2009 at Eastern after their hot start to the season at 27-14. Needless to say, that backfired as the Jays struggled to a 75-87 record. That's why I'll never start a thread again.

The new 00z NAM is still north, but it's slowly inching south with the wintery precip. The 18z GFS shows around an inch of snow for the GTA.

I started a Toronto Blue Jays thread in May 2009 at Eastern after their hot start to the season at 27-14. Needless to say, that backfired as the Jays struggled to a 75-87 record. That's why I'll never start a thread again.

The new 00z NAM is still north, but it's slowly inching south with the wintery precip. The 18z GFS shows around an inch of snow for the GTA.

lol, I remember. Cito was already planning the parade route.

I'll take the inch. Get's downtown to over 150cm for the season. 150cm has always been the threshold for me between a marginally snowy winter and a truly snowy winter.

Lambasted by wind, which was probably gusting a good 60kmh, and snow while walking home. Nice slap in the face after the last 2 days of stellar temps (which really aren't that good, but anything 0-5 feels warm and fuzzy after a miserable temp winter). I love this time of year when people are out in tshirts because it's just a hair above zero. Once autumn rolls around anything below 15 is coat weather.

The 0z euro has us on the southern end of the accumulating snow swath with 2-4" for the GTA assuming there are no thin warm layers above 850mb. 4-7" accums are up towards YOW/YUL. On the GEM it starts as a thump of SN and then goes over to ZR. We would probably be talking 0.2-0.4" of ZR on this run if you took the GEM verbatim.

The 0z euro has us on the southern end of the accumulating snow swath with 2-4" for the GTA assuming there are no thin warm layers above 850mb. 4-7" accums are up towards YOW/YUL. On the GEM it starts as a thump of SN and then goes over to ZR. We would probably be talking 0.2-0.4" of ZR on this run if you took the GEM verbatim.

Looks like the NAM finally came south a bit. I think if we contain the discussion to this thread my storm thread hex will be neutralized.

Was 1969-70 >1cm everyday for those 85 days? .... YES

How many days did 1970-71 and 1971-72 have? 77 and 65 respectively.

The 70s featured some of the best Winters of the 20th century. Would be great if a decade like that could be repeated.

And it looks like 101 days will be the final count. YYZ came in with 1cm yesterday. From Dec 9 to March 19th, amazing!

Kind of surprised we made it to 101 days. Thought the streak would end at 99 days, looked like less than 50% snowcover around here with a lot of bare lawns (albeit some snow covered ones too) . I guess it all comes down to who's measuring and where.

Gusty winds this afternoon were fun, peak gust of 59km/h at YYZ but I think the sustained 47km/h is more impressive. Love it when the wind gets cranking and you don't have to calculate a windchill!

Happy Equinox.

With the strengthening vort and nice mid level moisture feed I feel pretty certain that we will see a swath of 5-8" in the core of this band despite the fast movement. Some models(including the euro) are hinting at some big times rates from this thing. Recent meso models have wanted to take this band north of the GTA over the last few runs. If they do trend south just a bit more it could get really interesting around these parts.

Welcome back!

Given you haven't seen snow in a while, I can understand that.

I would be blindsided if we saw more than 5-6" out of this. My call is 3"

Thanks.

Just as things were looking good the models all of a sudden shift back north. I'll make a final call after the 12z suite. Anything I can push around with a shovel would be great.

12z NAM/RGEM backed off the almost complete whiff they were showing at 6z but still looks like the best snow swath will be to the north. Very tight gradient though. A small shift to the south and we could get a surprise 6" snowfall. A small shift to the north, and we may get virtually nothing.

I'll lock in a 1-3" call, with an inch near Lk Ontario and 3" along a Snowstorms-OB line.

12z NAM/RGEM backed off the almost complete whiff they were showing at 6z but still looks like the best snow swath will be to the north. Very tight gradient though. A small shift to the south and we could get a surprise 6" snowfall. A small shift to the north, and we may get virtually nothing.

I'll lock in a 1-3" call, with an inch near Lk Ontario and 3" along a Snowstorms-OB line.

I have one SREF member showing nearly 7" and the rest are like 0.25" ... no I am not expecting anything here ... my point is this basically says that the right element will make all the difference.  Hope you can cash in on a 'surprise' snow!

YYZ came in with 1cm on the ground yesterday. Snow cover days now up to 102 :o. I thought 100 was going to be the cutoff, but wow! If it survived yesterday, then tonights snowfall would edge us above 105 days possibly. Let's see.

Its tough to make a preliminary call for tonights event. Any small shift either way could have huge implications as to how much we see. I'm going for ~4cm.

After this, I'm ready for spring.

EC just issued a freezing rain warning for Toronto, lol 

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61#768cwto

Not a bad call IMO considering the razor gradient, heavy rates (for a time) and the fact that much of the public will be unaware after such spring-like few days.

Speaking of razor thin gradient, looks like some of you guys may be in for 10cm+ while I could be in for a DAB. Looks like I'll be in for the brunt of the ZR as well.

k4xpk.gif

The 18z NAM came south a bit, although the gradient remains really tight with areas in and around barrie cashing in on QPF AOB 1" while the northern GTA only receives about 0.2-0.3" of QPF. Based on the look to the RAP/NAM soundings in and around the GTA, I would expect more of a SN/PL mix as opposed to any ZR accums like EC is suggesting(probably based on the look to the RGEM).

Archived