• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Philly Snow Roll Just Keeps Going

BucksCO_PA

In season which at this point is only average from temp standpoint & had a hostile Atlantic Philadelphia has still managed to post some impressive snowfall totals. Official Philadelphia snowfall records go back 130 yrs.

Already this season is tied for the 21st snowiest season on record:

post-1715-0-23971200-1390392087_thumb.pn

The 22.5" this month make it the 5th snowiest JAN on record:

post-1715-0-43793600-1390392105_thumb.pn

Yesterday's 13.5" is now the 26th 12"(+) snowstorm, 8th in the past 12 seasons, just a note Philadelphia has gone 16 seasons without recording a 12"(+) storm so these are certainly good times for large storms.

post-1715-0-61989600-1390392122_thumb.pn

I would like to see the regional snowfall totals for those big storms in Philly since 2009 to see just how bad places north and west got shafted, or if it's just my imagination.

Not your imagination. Semi shaft line is 20 miles northwest of center city. 50% shaft line is 40 miles northwest. Now a draw a line ese to an area north of trenton then northeast from there running north of monmouth into a portion of southeast new york state. That is the royal screwzone for most big snowstorms except the last two in 2010 since maybe 2004? (big exception is 2007 for the far northwest zones like poconos) It's a ten year futility streak that to me is reminiscent of the big storm drought for portions of the midatlantic post 83 blizzard through the early 90's. It's like one of those 100 year anomalies 

Not your imagination. Semi shaft line is 20 miles northwest of center city. 50% shaft line is 40 miles northwest. Now a draw a line ese to an area north of trenton then northeast from there running north of monmouth into a portion of southeast new york state. That is the royal screwzone for most big snowstorms except the last two in 2010 since maybe 2004? (big exception is 2007 for the far northwest zones like poconos) It's a ten year futility streak that to me is reminiscent of the big storm drought for portions of the midatlantic post 83 blizzard through the early 90's. It's like one of those 100 year anomalies 

Pretty Much.... grew up in Delaware county 40 years ago and always envied the "Northern and Western" suburbs...moved out here

five years ago only to see Delco become ground zero.  Go figure.

FEB 2006 was better than PHL up your way:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/02122006.html

post-1715-0-41969300-1390415917_thumb.jp

Pretty Much.... grew up in Delaware county 40 years ago and always envied the "Northern and Western" suburbs...moved out here

five years ago only to see Delco become ground zero.  Go figure.

Six years ago for me were in the same boat. The sea is rough lots of death bands just to our southeast....we do nickel and dimes and flurries better

I would like to see the regional snowfall totals for those big storms in Philly since 2009 to see just how bad places north and west got shafted, or if it's just my imagination.

PHL appears to be the hot zone nowadays.  I live(d) only 17 miles due north from the airport (where my parents still reside) and we picked up ~12" on the first two storms during the big '09-'10 season.  That compares to the official measurements of 23" and 29".  Earlier this month we got 6-7" while PHL measured 9".  I wasn't there yesterday but based on nearby totals of about 8", PHL did much better once again.

I imagine the comparison only gets worse even farther from the city.  It seems the best bands keep setting up over an area from Chadds Ford -> Philly -> Freehold -> Monmouth pretty consistently.

Interestingly, fully 2/3 of those seasons that are currently ahead of 2013-14 on the hit parade had a February with at least 10" of snow.  (Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I should also point out that 2 of the 4 four seasons ahead of January 2014 for the highest January snowfall had less than 10" in February... and those same two seasons also had 0.0" in March). 

PHL appears to be the hot zone nowadays.  I live(d) only 17 miles due north from the airport (where my parents still reside) and we picked up ~12" on the first two storms during the big '09-'10 season.  That compares to the official measurements of 23" and 29".  Earlier this month we got 6-7" while PHL measured 9".  I wasn't there yesterday but based on nearby totals of about 8", PHL did much better once again.

I imagine the comparison only gets worse even farther from the city.  It seems the best bands keep setting up over an area from Chadds Ford -> Philly -> Freehold -> Monmouth pretty consistently.

My whole life the official measurement at PHL has, with only very rare exceptions, always mirrored what I was getting in Cherry Hill (and, for obvious reasons, since Cherry Hill is probably only 10 miles or so as the crow flies northeast of PHL).  This year has been no different.  Even for the storms with narrow bands of heavy snow (yesterday and December 8 in particular), my mother measured almost exactly what PHL did in her own backyard in Cherry Hill (12" yesterday and 8" on December 8).     

Six years ago for me were in the same boat. The sea is rough lots of death bands just to our southeast....we do nickel and dimes and flurries better

I've lived over here in the Hereford and Longswamp areas of Berks co. since I was 6 years old in 1978.  I've had the privilege of a little elevation of 800' until 1997, then 900' up to present though.  (which helps with the wet snow storms mostly, although some longer duration events show a little orographic enhancement)  1994 was KILLER in our area(76+"), and I had 89" in 1996......35 of which fell on Jan.7-8...  Anyway we had many snow storms growing up that outdid Philly, and they only had a couple that outdid us.  (until the last 8 or so years)  Back then it seemed that the mountains got crushed, our area (upper montco,bucks, lehigh valley) got a fair amount, and Philly got shafted.  It'll change to yet another pattern someday.......when and what is the big question though.  (perhaps we all get shafted lol)  Those nickel and dimes (plus colder temps) can keep a snow cover alive vs. further south so don't dismiss them either!  (1" of snow is better than .1" of rain!) 

P.S. in all my years at this location, the most painful storm was the millennium storm, I had 4" and Quakertown had what, 10"?  That's the only time I've seen a gradient that bad, although one storm in 2010 was close.  (18" in Pottstown, I had 11".....but that's a bit further distance)   I can't complain though the hilltop sometimes gives me an 8" advantage in 2 miles. :)

I've lived over here in the Hereford and Longswamp areas of Berks co. since I was 6 years old in 1978.  I've had the privilege of a little elevation of 800' until 1997, then 900' up to present though.  (which helps with the wet snow storms mostly, although some longer duration events show a little orographic enhancement)  1994 was KILLER in our area(76+"), and I had 89" in 1996......35 of which fell on Jan.7-8...  Anyway we had many snow storms growing up that outdid Philly, and they only had a couple that outdid us.  (until the last 8 or so years)  Back then it seemed that the mountains got crushed, our area (upper montco,bucks, lehigh valley) got a fair amount, and Philly got shafted.  It'll change to yet another pattern someday.......when and what is the big question though.  (perhaps we all get shafted lol)  Those nickel and dimes (plus colder temps) can keep a snow cover alive vs. further south so don't dismiss them either!  (1" of snow is better than .1" of rain!) 

P.S. in all my years at this location, the most painful storm was the millennium storm, I had 4" and Quakertown had what, 10"?  That's the only time I've seen a gradient that bad, although one storm in 2010 was close.  (18" in Pottstown, I had 11".....but that's a bit further distance)   I can't complain though the hilltop sometimes gives me an 8" advantage in 2 miles. :)

I am sure we all have our own personal gradient nightmare.  Mine was February 24, 1989.  After a nearly snowless winter, we were finally forecast to get nailed with a solid 6" to 10" storm.  I woke up that day to the kind of heavy overcast that just looked like snow was going to start falling out of it any second.  I was working in Bellmawr, NJ at the time (in western Camden County and not to be confused with Belmar on the Jersey Shore), and first thing in the morning, one of my co-workers who was in Atlantic County called the office to say the snow was already getting heavy down there.  I spent the rest of the morning looking out the window waiting for that first flake.  Mid-morning, I snuck out to my car to listen to KYW (this was long before the internet and cell phones and other new-fangled gadgets the kids use today so the only way to get a weather update in those dark ages was a radio or TV).  At that point, the forecast was allegedly still on track with the snow still likely to start any second so I rushed back inside to continue my regimen of regular, extended stares out the window interspersed with short bursts of trying to look busy even though I was totally distracted by the pending snow.  Early in the afternoon, my secretary (who lived in Jackson, NJ which is well north of where I was) got a call from her husband telling her that the snow was getting bad at their house and that she should leave work immediately before the roads got impassable.  That was when I started to get the sinking feeling that things were not going as planned... [cue the famous recording of the Hindenberg announcer, "...this is one of the worst catastrophes in the world!!! ...oh, the humanity!!!!"].  Sure enough, points right on the coast got 12+" of snow.  I believe the boardwalk in Atlantic City reported 18" and Margate or Ocean City reported 20+".  Even places up to 20 or 30 miles inland still got a nice little dump in the 4"-6".  Philadelphia and Cherry Hill (where I lived), which are only 50 or so miles inland and, thus, only 20 miles or so from places that got 4" to 6" of snow, got 0.0".  I literally didn't see a flake.  PHL reported a trace so apparently a stray flake DID fall there that day, but again nothing measureable was reported.  The snow... and some of it was literally feet deep... was so close I could almost see it, and yet I got nothing.         

I am sure we all have our own personal gradient nightmare.  Mine was February 24, 1989.  After a nearly snowless winter, we were finally forecast to get nailed with a solid 6" to 10" storm.  I woke up that day to the kind of heavy overcast that just looked like snow was going to start falling out of it any second.  I was working in Bellmawr, NJ at the time (in western Camden County and not to be confused with Belmar on the Jersey Shore), and first thing in the morning, one of my co-workers who was in Atlantic County called the office to say the snow was already getting heavy down there.  I spent the rest of the morning looking out the window waiting for that first flake.  Mid-morning, I snuck out to my car to listen to KYW (this was long before the internet and cell phones and other new-fangled gadgets the kids use today so the only way to get a weather update in those dark ages was a radio or TV).  At that point, the forecast was allegedly still on track with the snow still likely to start any second so I rushed back inside to continue my regimen of regular, extended stares out the window interspersed with short bursts of trying to look busy even though I was totally distracted by the pending snow.  Early in the afternoon, my secretary (who lived in Jackson, NJ which is well north of where I was) got a call from her husband telling her that the snow was getting bad at their house and that she should leave work immediately before the roads got impassable.  That was when I started to get the sinking feeling that things were not going as planned... [cue the famous recording of the Hindenberg announcer, "...this is one of the worst catastrophes in the world!!! ...oh, the humanity!!!!"].  Sure enough, points right on the coast got 12+" of snow.  I believe the boardwalk in Atlantic City reported 18" and Margate or Ocean City reported 20+".  Even places up to 20 or 30 miles inland still got a nice little dump in the 4"-6".  Philadelphia and Cherry Hill (where I lived), which are only 50 or so miles inland and, thus, only 20 miles or so from places that got 4" to 6" of snow, got 0.0".  I literally didn't see a flake.  PHL reported a trace so apparently a stray flake DID fall there that day, but again nothing measureable was reported.  The snow... and some of it was literally feet deep... was so close I could almost see it, and yet I got nothing.         

I do remember that storm, but I didn't realize (or remember) that Philly and places near there got shafted to.  I do remember going to school looking at those clouds longingly knowing it wasn't to be for us lol.  There was a storm in 1987 I think, just a few days after a storm that dumped about 12-14" up this way and was still pretty good at Philly.  (sleeted there a little I think, but they still had like 8-10")  That second storm of 87' only gave us about 2", down your way got a pretty good dumping.  (10ish or more)  Up until the 2000's those are the only two I remember where "north and west" didn't get the most, or at least reasonably close.  (like 8" vs 12", that's not that big of a deal)  In 1988 my hill got one of the better storms it's had, Red Hill where I went to school had just started accumulating snow while it had rained all day, when the bus got home we already had 8", we ended up with 16", Red Hill up to lower Hereford had 8".  Sometimes the bus driver wouldn't have chains on because they didn't know we had snow or it had stuck better, those were fun days getting stuck lol! 

Ray - using your data and adding 1/22/14. PHL has really kicked butt since 08/09. ABE can't even keep up with ACY.

08/09 – 13/14  6 years

ABE: #Storms >6:   8;   #Storms >12:   2;  #Storms >20:  0;   Average 15 storms:   6.1 

PHL: #Storms >6: 11;   #Storms >12:   6;  #Storms >20:  2;   Average 15 storms:  10.1  

ACY: #Storms >6:   9;  #Storms >12:   3;  #Storms >20:  1;   Average 15 storms:   7.4

Ray, thank you very much for putting those comparisons up.  I had already looked at them all, but for those who haven't check them out!

Chubbs, yes I think many of us (in the ABE area anyway) are aware of how well Philly has been doing lately.  We all know the only constant is change though....perhaps we get 10 years of apps runners and coastal huggers in a decade or two from now ;)  We've had quite a high number of "cold" storms this last decade, but we all know climo says we are usually on the rain/ice/snow line.  That is why the LONG term average has ABE doing better.  Case in point, that one storm we had in December that changed to sleet even in the ABE area......we still got 6"+, south didn't really cash in. 

The other thing is we have to remember winter isn't all about big snowstorms.  ABE (north and west too) outdoes Philly on south with more frequent lighter snows, more ice and snow vs. plain rain, and colder temps.  (the snow they do get holds on a bit better do to the last two factors)  There are many mornings we are driving to work on snowy/icy roads that south and east doesn't have to deal with, and for those of us without garages several more frosty mornings each year to deal with.

There's been a lot to talk about the last couple of weeks, so I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned. Looking at Ray's 6" and greater snowfall list for PHL, this month is only the 2nd January (since 1884-1885) with 2 snowfalls 6" or greater, the last being in 1917-18!

Pretty amazing stat when 1917-18 is thrown in. I think Philly sees at least 50" this season, maybe even 60".

• 2 weeks later...

If February has decent snow this winter will be one to be remembered. It already is impressive.

OT, but looks like you got your 10 days of snow cover!

Well FEB has checked in big time:

With 9.8" total PHL is now 53.1" for the season, 5th snowiest on record

Per Ray's great post this was the fourth 6" storm this season, most on record

I believe this is only the 2nd time, along with 1960-61, that Philadelphia has recoded double digit snowfall totals each month during climo winter (DEC, JAN, FEB)

PHL now has recorded 16" for FEB, only need to receive an addtn'l 1.8" to record a top 10 snowiest FEB, DEC & JAN already in the books as top 10 so that would be another sweep for climo winter

simply an amazing winter & some LR signals now indicating a +PNA regime popping after the pattern relaxation so........

• 2 weeks later...

any update on the Philly total YTD.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/PHI/CLIPHL

321 CDUS41 KPHI 222139CLIPHLCLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ                              438 PM EST SAT FEB 22 2014................................... ...THE PHILADELPHIA PA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR FEBRUARY 22 2014...VALID TODAY AS OF 0400 PM LOCAL TIME.CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1872 TO 2014WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                     VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                       NORMAL             ..................................................................TEMPERATURE (F)                                                      TODAY                                                                 MAXIMUM         59    218 PM  68    1997  46     13       39                                             1974                            MINIMUM         31    629 AM   7    1963  29      2       25         AVERAGE         45                        37      8       32                                                                           PRECIPITATION (IN)                                                     TODAY            0.00          1.88 2003   0.10  -0.10      T        MONTH TO DATE    5.03                      2.07   2.96     1.48      SINCE DEC 1     13.78                      8.66   5.12     9.24      SINCE JAN 1      8.58                      5.10   3.48     4.82                                                                         SNOWFALL (IN)                                                          TODAY            0.0           7.0  2001   0.3   -0.3       T        MONTH TO DATE   21.3                       7.4   13.9      2.7       SINCE DEC 1     58.4                      17.3   41.1      7.0       SINCE JUL 1     58.4                      17.6   40.8      7.0       SNOW DEPTH       0                                                                                                                      DEGREE DAYS                                                           HEATING                                                               TODAY           20                        28     -8       33         MONTH TO DATE  708                       657     51      691         SINCE DEC 1   2646                      2504    142     2242         SINCE JUL 1   3452                      3320    132     3068                                                                             COOLING                                                               TODAY            0                         0      0        0         MONTH TO DATE    0                         0      0        0         SINCE DEC 1      0                         0      0        0         SINCE JAN 1      0                         0      0        0       ..................................................................WIND (MPH)                                                             HIGHEST WIND SPEED    25   HIGHEST WIND DIRECTION    SW (220)        HIGHEST GUST SPEED    29   HIGHEST GUST DIRECTION    SW (230)        AVERAGE WIND SPEED    10.4                                                                                                              SKY COVER                                                              POSSIBLE SUNSHINE  MM                                                AVERAGE SKY COVER 0.4                                                                                                                   WEATHER CONDITIONS                                                   THE FOLLOWING WEATHER WAS RECORDED TODAY.                              FOG                                                                                                                                     RELATIVE HUMIDITY (PERCENT)                                           HIGHEST    92           200 AM                                      LOWEST     24           300 PM                                      AVERAGE    58                                                       ..........................................................                                                                     THE PHILADELPHIA PA CLIMATE NORMALS FOR TOMORROW                         NORMAL    RECORD    YEAR                     MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE (F)   46        75      1874                     MINIMUM TEMPERATURE (F)   29         6      1963                                                                                         SUNRISE AND SUNSET                                                   FEBRUARY 22 2014......SUNRISE   644 AM EST   SUNSET   545 PM EST   FEBRUARY 23 2014......SUNRISE   643 AM EST   SUNSET   546 PM EST                                                                       -  INDICATES NEGATIVE NUMBERS.                                      R  INDICATES RECORD WAS SET OR TIED.                                MM INDICATES DATA IS MISSING.                                       T  INDICATES TRACE AMOUNT.                                          $$

Archived