• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Winter Report Card

KamuSnow

With today's MECS giving us our first double digit snowfall since January 2011, and our third 6"+ snowfall of the season, I think it's safe to say that this winter deserves an A, especially with another, more prolonged arctic outbreak coming up, and more chances for storms afterwards. In order to get an A+, IMO, February will have to deliver at least average snowfall, preferably with another moderate-significant storm, and not be a torch.

Glenn said tonight....

first time in philly recorded history with three 6"+ storms in one season prior to February!?

Feels hard to believe...more to come this winter for sure!

I haven't done a formal re-evaluation, but most likely I'd push PHL and ABE up a notch... PHL A-/B+ and ABE solid A.  The main detractor to the grade is the temps, which, for all the hype, haven't really been all that far from normal.

With an additional 14.3" I'm bumping this from B- to B+, all I need now is 9 more days of consecutive snow cover. Looks like that could happen.

Upgrading winter 2013 - 2014 to an A- grade. Mind you, An A grade + or - or otherwise is very difficult to achieve. The student (old man winter) must prove to the instructor that 1, he can snow at least 36", and 2, he must demonstrate the ability to bring extended periods of cold and as such, the elusive 10 days of consecutive snow cover. 36" is in the books but the final criteria has not yet been met. However, at the start of consecutive day number six, It's virtually a lock at this point. A+ grades are almost impossible. Only 2; the best years, 1996 and 2010 were issued since 1990. 1994, 2003, 2005 and 2011 were very close. To achieve an A+ the student must demonstrate the ability to accumulate snow in each month of meteorological winter as well as March and either November or April. A minimum of 60" must be achieved with at least one HECS level event.

It is quite possible this winter will achieve these metrics. Bring it!

Upgrading winter 2013 - 2014 to an A- grade. Mind you, An A grade + or - or otherwise is very difficult to achieve. The student (old man winter) must prove to the instructor that 1, he can snow at least 36", and 2, he must demonstrate the ability to bring extended periods of cold and as such, the elusive 10 days of consecutive snow cover. 36" is in the books but the final criteria has not yet been met. However, at the start of consecutive day number six, It's virtually a lock at this point. A+ grades are almost impossible. Only 2; the best years, 1996 and 2010 were issued since 1990. 1994, 2003, 2005 and 2011 were very close. To achieve an A+ the student must demonstrate the ability to accumulate snow in each month of meteorological winter as well as March and either November or April. A minimum of 60" must be achieved with at least one HECS level event.

It is quite possible this winter will achieve these metrics. Bring it!

Update: now sitting at 12 consecutive snow cover days so the minimal 10 day requirement is met. Also padded on an additional 1.4" snow since last update. Feb snow requirement looks like a lock with Monday's event. Based on latest guidance, specifically the ECWMF, there is a chance of HECS like potential this week. Note HECS like - albeit total snowfall accumulations exceeding 18" from two back to back storms. These do count such that if by Thursday, 18" of total snow accumulates, that is on the ground. It counts as a HECS. Although I believe the likelihood of this happening is pretty slim - less than 25% chance. If this happens, only the 60" benchmark and a tenth inch of snow in March would be required for the A+ Grade. What a winter.

Update: now sitting at 12 consecutive snow cover days so the minimal 10 day requirement is met. Also padded on an additional 1.4" snow since last update. Feb snow requirement looks like a lock with Monday's event. Based on latest guidance, specifically the ECWMF, there is a chance of HECS like potential this week. Note HECS like - albeit total snowfall accumulations exceeding 18" from two back to back storms. These do count such that if by Thursday, 18" of total snow accumulates, that is on the ground. It counts as a HECS. Although I believe the likelihood of this happening is pretty slim - less than 25% chance. If this happens, only the 60" benchmark and a tenth inch of snow in March would be required for the A+ Grade. What a winter.

EC has about 7" for you on Monday, and maybe 3 or 4" on Wednesday (there's a sneaky 800 mb warm layer on the EC on Wednesday morning which transitions you to sleet pretty quickly).

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that after today most, if not all (well, except for those who hate cold and snow), would rate this winter an A or an A+.

With today's MECS giving me my fourth 6"+ and second 10"+ storm of the season, and (after the backend snows) putting me over 50" for the season, this winter is officially an A+ in my book.

NOTICE:

Let it be known that on this 7th day of March, 2013, upon review and consensus and, as set forth by this Review Board, "Very Old Man Winter" (student) has been expelled due to failing grades for his performance during the winters of 2011-12 & 2012-13!

Upon his successful completion of (sweltering) Summer School courses in "Philly Area Winter Meteorology" and a written commitment to over-perform during the Winter of 2013-14 ad infinitum, his records will be examined by Head Master (aka "HM") to determine his eligibility for re-admittance!

"Mother Nature" is hereby required to acknowledged and sign receipt of this Notice!!

Mid-semester grades have been mailed home...

"Old Man Winter has a much better grasp of the subject material! Assuming a successful outcome to today's "exam", OMW will receive an A+ Grading but must maintain his focus and commitment throughout the balance of the 2013-14 Winter semester to avoid summer school!!

Interim semester report.......

"Continued dramatic improvement!

It's apparent that OMW's expulsion at the end of last winter has benefitted all SnowMisers!

Keep up the great work."

Archived