• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Check Your Crawl Space

Coach McGuirk

It has been one of those really wet summers so the crawl space is just accumulating water underneath due to the crawl space being below the dew point.  The two houses I'm selling have ponds of water condensation underneath to crawl space even with a vapor barrier.  They call this "Jungle Dew Point" when it's constantly in the 70s. 

It has been one of those really wet summers so the crawl space is just accumulating water underneath due to the crawl space being below the dew point. The two houses I'm selling have ponds of water condensation underneath to crawl space even with a vapor barrier. They call this "Jungle Dew Point" when it's constantly in the 70s.

Houses with a crawl space need a fan blowing out through a vent from about May through Sept. Prevents a ton of problems.

Make sure the vents are open.  I've run into that problem before where people will close off the vents in the winter in the misguided attempt to save on heating, then they will forget and leave the vents closed.  Asking for mold in the crawl by doing so.  I've actually seen subfloor and joist rot due to the buildup of moisture.

Make sure the vents are open.  I've run into that problem before where people will close off the vents in the winter in the misguided attempt to save on heating, then they will forget and leave the vents closed.  Asking for mold in the crawl by doing so.  I've actually seen subfloor and joist rot due to the buildup of moisture.

CLOSE the vents. Seal it up tight. Put a vapor barrier down and seal up the crawl space. Unless you have built your house on a swamp, you will have no issues with moisture. " Ventilating" a crawlspace in a region with the insanely high dew points we have in summer is exactly the wrong thing to do. Built my house in '04 and my crawlspace has been sealed ever since... with no dehumidifier, it stays cool and dry. And I am on the eastern shore, where the mean water table is HIGH.

CLOSE the vents. Seal it up tight. Put a vapor barrier down and seal up the crawl space. Unless you have built your house on a swamp, you will have no issues with moisture. " Ventilating" a crawlspace in a region with the insanely high dew points we have in summer is exactly the wrong thing to do. Built my house in '04 and my crawlspace has been sealed ever since... with no dehumidifier, it stays cool and dry. And I am on the eastern shore, where the mean water table is HIGH.

Yeah, I think new codes in this area are supportive of no vents.

Thanks for posting this. After reading your post, I did a little research and found that the latest thinking is that ventilating a crawl space is not the way to go. Makes sense to me. One thing I would say is that there needs to be a good slope away from the house outside and all water, especially gutters, should be diverted well away from the house.

Thanks for posting this. After reading your post, I did a little research and found that the latest thinking is that ventilating a crawl space is not the way to go. Makes sense to me. One thing I would say is that there needs to be a good slope away from the house outside and all water, especially gutters, should be diverted well away from the house.

No problem...and yes, cross ventilation seemed counter intuitive to me(why let the warm humid air in there!), and I had a ton of condensation off the ducts from the HVAC indoor unit(located in the crawlspace) running the AC during that summer as I finishing the inside of the house. So what I did is actually sealed the vents from inside the crawlspace. I cut pieces of rigid foam insulation to size for each of the vent openings and then sealed it using  aluminum self adhesive flashing tape(it sticks to the cinder block pretty well). Code requires a vapor barrier, and if you have an older home without it, then definitely put it in. You have to keep the moisture from the soil isolated from the crawlspace, especially if you are going to close and seal the vents. And yes check your grade and make sure you have good drainage outward from the foundation.

Archived