• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer Strong Coastal Storms

vortex95

With a rather impressive out of season low pressure for June coming up later this week, I thought of this event...

Probably the most dramatic one I know of to affect New England in recent decades was on 7/22/83.  Svr tstms occurred the previous day with a strong cold front, and this low deveoped rapidly just E of SNE (sub 990 mb).  Quite a windy day at Hampton Beach I recall for a bright sunny afternoon in NW flow in July!

post-1766-0-34287500-1370926240_thumb.jp

With a rather impressive out of season low pressure for June coming up later this week, I thought of this event...

Probably the most dramatic one I know of to affect New England in recent decades was on 7/22/83.  Svr tstms occurred the previous day with a strong cold front, and this low deveoped rapidly just E of SNE (sub 990 mb).  Quite a windy day at Hampton Beach I recall for a bright sunny afternoon in NW flow in July!

attachicon.gifjuly83.jpg

surfs up and what a storm that was, think we had 5 days of head high swells after that one. I had the whole month of July off that year. Too bad this one is coming early June, little cold in the ocean.

IIRC, it was in July 1995 that the circulation from a strengthening storm gave MWN its windiest summer day, with a 24-hr avg windspeed of 99 mph. We had a wedding at our church that day, with reception in a large tent pitched on the side lawn and held down by pins about 40" long - think "crowbar". All afternoon we were redriving those pins as the 50+ gusts loosened them, and hoping the wind wouldn't sweep away the whole works.

IIRC, it was in July 1995 that the circulation from a strengthening storm gave MWN its windiest summer day, with a 24-hr avg windspeed of 99 mph. We had a wedding at our church that day, with reception in a large tent pitched on the side lawn and held down by pins about 40" long - think "crowbar". All afternoon we were redriving those pins as the 50+ gusts loosened them, and hoping the wind wouldn't sweep away the whole works.

I think this was July 1996...when that same storm system produced record flooding in Quebec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguenay_Flood

This wasn't a big coastal storm, but a cold summer event in the form of a upper low over the NEUS.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1988/us0701.php

This thing caused low topped tstms for 3 days and lots of hail reports.  Great visibility with high

CB bases so getting cool photo ops was common.  MWN had 4" of snow 6/30-7/1/88 and

with Barre Falls MA dropping to 34 on the morning on 7/1, there was a good chance there

was frost in a few spots.  This really made an impression on me b/c 1988 was one of the hottest

summers on record!  Also, one of the craziest tstm years I can recall.  35 thunder days that year in

Woburn.  ASH had 42.  15 thunder days at MQE in July...a record.

Nothing there about high winds, but 3rd week of July appears to have had strong storms in both 1995 and 1996, so it could be.

No high winds at the sfc, but at MWN b/c of the anomalous strong mid level jet on the S side of the storm produced record summer winds at the summit.  From the MWN page:

"Also worthy of mention was our windiest summer day ever, July 20, 1996, when the wind averaged 100 miles per hour for

the entire day, and gusted to 153 miles per hour."

June 2006 put my area over the edge as far as water goes. Extensive flooding in SE MA after that storm.

We had incredible flooding at our vacation home in Northeast Pennsylvania from June 2006, probably near 10" rainfall. The lake, which is usually 25' from our home, was lapping at the house. My mom was stuck there for three days with roads closed and bridges out until the waters receded.

That same week, my friend and I were backpacking in the Adirondacks. We tried to hike Algonquin but were forced to turn around because of high summit winds, heavy rain, and flooded trails. We drove home the next day after staying at the lodge at Heart Lake.

No high winds at the sfc, but at MWN b/c of the anomalous strong mid level jet on the S side of the storm produced record summer winds at the summit.  From the MWN page:

"Also worthy of mention was our windiest summer day ever, July 20, 1996, when the wind averaged 100 miles per hour for

the entire day, and gusted to 153 miles per hour."

That confirms that you were correct, with 1996. However, we had plenty of wind at the surface that day, probably due to being farther east.

Archived