• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
OHC explodes upwards to record levels

The_Global_Warmer

There are definitely some peculiarities within the dataset that need to be explained by those whom repeatedly post the NODC OHC dataset without question.

figure-1.png?w=640&h=398

Why has the rise in the 0-2000 meter OHC only been confined to the Southern Hemisphere on the NODC dataset?

Interesting, well the Southern Hemisphere contains more water surface area than the Northern Hemisphere but there are probably multiple reasons for the difference. Would not be surprised if strength of high pressure systems and trade winds (especially over the pacific) coupled with the persistent polar vortex over Canada has something to do with it. Strong high pressure systems keep the ocean surface colder and I suppose the deep ocean as well.

We may eventually see an acceleration trend in the Northern Hemisphere so that it becomes equally expansive.

Interesting, well the Southern Hemisphere contains more water surface area than the Northern Hemisphere but there are probably multiple reasons for the difference. Would not be surprised if strength of high pressure systems and trade winds (especially over the pacific) coupled with the persistent polar vortex over Canada has something to do with it. Strong high pressure systems keep the ocean surface colder and I suppose the deep ocean as well.

We may eventually see an acceleration trend in the Northern Hemisphere so that it becomes equally expansive.

Could definitely be pressure patterns associated with the -PDO phase in the North Pacific.

It definitely puts into question if Greenhouse Gases are responsible for this change or not. They're well mixed in the atmosphere, so they should create a relatively uniform warming across the globe. Not select parts of the ocean.

This is the spatial change in OHC across the NH. Note that there are several large areas of declining OHC as well as areas of increasing OHC.

23r96ko.jpg

Also note how the spatial anomalies capture the PDO signature very nicely, which is interesting.

It definitely puts into question if Greenhouse Gases are responsible for this change or not. They're well mixed in the atmosphere, so they should create a relatively uniform warming across the globe. Not select parts of the ocean.

This is the spatial change in OHC across the NH. Note that there are several large areas of declining OHC as well as areas of increasing OHC.

23r96ko.jpg

Also note how the spatial anomalies capture the PDO signature very nicely, which is interesting.

:facepalm:

• 1 month later...

I guess the conversation should continue here.

Have the new ARGO floats been fixed yet is my first question?

Also, if they are fixed, the flat trend from raw data should start inching upward. 

I'll await further responses before I comment anymore.

I guess the conversation should continue here.

Have the new ARGO floats been fixed yet is my first question?

Also, if they are fixed, the flat trend from raw data should start inching upward.

I'll await further responses before I comment anymore.

Skier is more familiar with all of the OHC measurement problems than I am.

Back in 2008, the Argo floats were showing a sharp cooling which was documented in a paper by Willis et al. He later found that this trend was due to instrumentation problems. I'm not sure if they have been properly adjusted yet or if problems still remain with the dataset. Certainly before 2003, deep ocean measurements were much less certain.

Skier is more familiar with all of the OHC measurement problems than I am.

Back in 2008, the Argo floats were showing a sharp cooling which was documented in a paper by Willis et al. He later found that this trend was due to instrumentation problems. I'm not sure if they have been properly adjusted yet or if problems still remain with the dataset. Certainly before 2003, deep ocean measurements were much less certain.

I have spent some time today researching this..... The same raw data, shows the same plateau. I just find too many stories of raw data being manipulated into a warming trend to believe this is any different.

I have spent some time today researching this..... The same raw data, shows the same plateau. I just find too many stories of raw data being manipulated into a warming trend to believe this is any different.

Should also be noted that the signal the ARGO floats are measuring is an extremely small change in temperature in recent years, thus they must be near perfect to accurately measure such small changes.

Should also be noted that the signal the ARGO floats are measuring is an extremely small change in temperature in recent years, thus they must be near perfect to accurately measure such small changes.

Check out our data source from the 1950's to today, year by year. Argo goes live in 2003 and we haven't had significant non-adjusted increases since.

nodc-temp-obs-at-1500m.gif

Check out our data source from the 1950's to today, year by year. Argo goes live in 2003 and we haven't had significant non-adjusted increases since.

nodc-temp-obs-at-1500m.gif

That's pretty amazing how some quantify a higher sensitivity based off of past OHC changes, when you see how sparce that dataset has been early on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived