• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2013 Lawn and Garden Thread

I'm thinking the following weekend is when I plant stuff out, based on the models. This ain't tomato weather: http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getbufr.cgi?region=PA&stn=KSCE&model=gfs&time=current&field=2meter

Additional note:  was just watching Weather World, Penn State Meteorology's daily evening weather magazine program, and they gave their one-month outlook, which calls for more than half of the next 35 days having maximum temperatures below normal and perhaps more precipitation than recently.  

Big weekend for me in the garden.  Going to plant about a dozen tomatoes (Mortgage Lifter, Rutgers, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine Gold), sweet basil, chocolate mint, rosemary, another batch of beet seeds (final for the year), summer squash, pumpkins and garden beans.  I planted a round of cucumber and water melon seeds inside last night and hope to have them outside within 15 - 20 days.

Also, I started a general lawn / garden thread in OT for anyone interested:  http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39991-2013-lawn-garden-thread/

• 1 month later...

Looking for advice anyone may have...

We have tortoise beetles in the garden this year eating holes in the leaves of our plants... have never seen them before (actually took a bit to find out what they were on google) and wondering if anyone has tips for removal/etc based on their own experiences.  I have been using that Sevin Dust stuff elsewhere around the property to slowly kill off the earwig issues we found to have had last year but really don't want to use it in garden if necessary.  Thanks!

Looking for advice anyone may have...

We have tortoise beetles in the garden this year eating holes in the leaves of our plants... have never seen them before (actually took a bit to find out what they were on google) and wondering if anyone has tips for removal/etc based on their own experiences.  I have been using that Sevin Dust stuff elsewhere around the property to slowly kill off the earwig issues we found to have had last year but really don't want to use it in garden if necessary.  Thanks!

Hey, are they the golden tortoise beetles? The ones that look like a drop of gold and then suddenly move? 

No matter what they are, if you want to use a non-Sevin pesticide, pyrethrin is a decent organic option. It's an extract of a kind of mum. You can get it online or at a better garden center. You dilute and spray it. It's safer than chemicals but be careful with it, as organic doesn't mean totally safe (hell, ricin's organic). 

• 1 month later...

So from my meager container garden (2 cherry tomatoes, 2 hungarian wax peppers, 2 jalepeno peppers, 40 shelling peas, 20 carrots, 4 bell peppers, 15 corn, 2 serrano peppers, and 12 string beans) I've harvested:

- 5 lbs of cherry tomatoes

- 20 hungarian wax peppers

- 30 jalepenos

- 2 cups of peas

- 20 carrots

- 5 bell peppers

With a ton of tomatoes, a number of peppers of all kinds, and a bunch of beans setting fruit. I don't have any expectations for the corn as it has started pollinating but there is no silk present. Looks like it'll be a dud.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the performance of these containers.

So from my meager container garden (2 cherry tomatoes, 2 hungarian wax peppers, 2 jalepeno peppers, 40 shelling peas, 20 carrots, 4 bell peppers, 15 corn, 2 serrano peppers, and 12 string beans) I've harvested:

- 5 lbs of cherry tomatoes

- 20 hungarian wax peppers

- 30 jalepenos

- 2 cups of peas

- 20 carrots

- 5 bell peppers

With a ton of tomatoes, a number of peppers of all kinds, and a bunch of beans setting fruit. I don't have any expectations for the corn as it has started pollinating but there is no silk present. Looks like it'll be a dud.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the performance of these containers.

Silk emergence is about 2-5 days after pollination starts. Don't worry too much. 

Congrats on the other stuff, that's a nice yield. 

• 4 months later...

Archived