wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Mr Allen's Summer Outlook

WEATHER53

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is going to end up being an excellent outlook...2 out of 3 months excellent and even decent on August....and seasonal call going to be stellar....The 90+ call is a bad one, but I don't think missing those bonus predictions takes away at all...they can give an outlook a little boost but I wouldn't deduct anything...

I dunno.. The 90+ is as good a verifier of how someone thinks the overall outlook will occur as any. 45 implies a summer that is noticeably hot IMO. Shouldn't be such a disconnect.

I dunno.. The 90+ is as good a verifier of how someone thinks the overall outlook will occur as any. 45 implies a summer that is noticeably hot IMO. Shouldn't be such a disconnect.

Also, not real close on precipitation -- prediction of 10-12 inches vs almost 16 so far.

Also, not real close on precipitation -- prediction of 10-12 inches vs almost 16 so far.

i think those are more minor deductions...When his outlook came out it was kind of apparent that his 90 call wasn't consistent with the overall outlook, but that is something he may not have put as much time in...also since it is for the entire year, he may be thinking a warm september?..still will likely fall short of the 36-37 annual average...definitely a humidity/min driven summer...I'm pretty happy with how well I did at CWG on all the bonus stuff....biggest error was the monthlies which were mediocre...

I think "not real close" is an incorrect assessment in the overall. 10.4" is normal for DCA, 10-12 call is an "around average to above average call" and it's going to end up above average to well above average with DCA coming in a bit above most everyone els. He certainly recognized it would not be another dry summer. 10-12 call with 15-16 realized is solid, B/B-. I also agree with Mr Z. that the 90+ is an example of icing on the cake and not the cake. Getting the seasonal right is front line, the monthlies the next tier, precipitation right in there and 90+ mostly 3rd tier and maybe lower second tier as to order of importance.

I think "not real close" is an incorrect assessment in the overall. 10.4" is normal for DCA, 10-12 call is an "around average to above average call" and it's going to end up above average to well above average with DCA coming in a bit above most everyone els. He certainly recognized it would not be another dry summer. 10-12 call with 15-16 realized is solid, B/B-. I also agree with Mr Z. that the 90+ is an example of icing on the cake and not the cake. Getting the seasonal right is front line, the monthlies the next tier, precipitation right in there and 90+ mostly 3rd tier and maybe lower second tier as to order of importance.

You are correct that 10.4 inches of precipitation was the 1981-2010 DCA meteorological summer (JJA) "normal", but as I've discussed before, using a 30-year period for precipitation normals can be misleading. Historically (1871-2012), there have been 12.0 inches of JJA precipitation in DC on average, but August was unusually dry here during 1981-2010.  While that could mean a significant long-term change is taking place, I think it's more likely that DCA just happened to get shut out more often than not during 1981-2010 Augusts. Overall, 1981-2010 precipitation at DCA averaged 39.7 inches annually, vs 40.8 inches historically, so not much difference there.  So, I can't agree that 10-12 inches of precipitation was a good call for DCA this summer -- it gets the Gentleman's C. Regarding Mr. Allen's prediction of forty-five 90+ degree days, we still have a ways to before rendering a final judgment on that, but it appears that he was looking for a moderately cooler summer than the last three with respect to both maximum and minimum temperatures, whereas what has happened is a sharp dip in maximum temperatures, but only a very slight dip in minimum temperatures.  So, I would currently give him a B there, but let's see how many 90+ days we wind up with.    

You are correct that 10.4 inches of precipitation was the 1981-2010 DCA meteorological summer (JJA) "normal", but as I've discussed before, using a 30-year period for precipitation normals can be misleading. Historically (1871-2012), there have been 12.0 inches of JJA precipitation in DC on average, but August was unusually dry here during 1981-2010.  While that could mean a significant long-term change is taking place, I think it's more likely that DCA just happened to get shut out more often than not during 1981-2010 Augusts. Overall, 1981-2010 precipitation at DCA averaged 39.7 inches annually, vs 40.8 inches historically, so not much difference there.  So, I can't agree that 10-12 inches of precipitation was a good call for DCA this summer -- it gets the Gentleman's C. Regarding Mr. Allen's prediction of forty-five 90+ degree days, we still have a ways to before rendering a final judgment on that, but it appears that he was looking for a moderately cooler summer than the last three with respect to both maximum and minimum temperatures, whereas what has happened is a sharp dip in maximum temperatures, but only a very slight dip in minimum temperatures.  So, I would currently give him a B there, but let's see how many 90+ days we wind up with.    

disagree on both...1981-2010 norms are the baseline for any seasonal outlook...historic amounts are irrelevant

90 degree days is currently a bad call....we'd have to tack on a lot this week and september to make it a decent one..unless we hit the average of 36-37 it is a poor call...but as I said before, it is a bonus call...it matters but it isn't as important as the other factors..

disagree on both...1981-2010 norms are the baseline for any seasonal outlook...historic amounts are irrelevant

90 degree days is currently a bad call....we'd have to tack on a lot this week and september to make it a decent one..unless we hit the average of 36-37 it is a poor call...but as I said before, it is a bonus call...it matters but it isn't as important as the other factors..

Agree with you. His ideas are a long way around Robin's barn to try to find lower quality in a forecast that is very good.

But according to Tenman's original post, Mr. Allen did not state his precipitation forecast in terms of normals; rather, he predicted 10-12 inches. To me, that's quite a way from almost 16 (with more possibly on the way this week).  I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I agree that his overall summer temperature forecast was good. 

But according to Tenman's original post, Mr. Allen did not state his precipitation forecast in terms of normals; rather, he predicted 10-12 inches. To me, that's quite a way from almost 16 (with more possibly on the way this week).  I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I agree that his overall summer temperature forecast was good. 

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree..also I think you have to look at the whole region...DCA is what we grade against, but for precip, a better regionwide call can mitigate  a call for a specific airport

Passed on to me by a friend.

Summer:+0.5 to +1.0

Rainfall:10-12"

#90+:45

#100+:1

All three months will range +0.5 to +1.0

Although an above average summer it will not be as torrid as last 3

Analog years:1932,34,60

Thinks current cold snap will not break until mid April.

Monthlies - B/B+

Overall- A

Bonus- C+ but doesn't matter much

Overall grade- A- maybe B+ but I'd lean toward A- Stellar outlook

Monthlies - B/B+

Overall- A

Bonus- C+ but doesn't matter much

Overall grade- A- maybe B+ but I'd lean toward A- Stellar outlook

On the monthlies I would go A,A,C-/D+ and the overall call of +0.5 to +1.0 with a +.57 realized is absolutely stellar, A+. The rainfall call of 10-12" with 15.74 realized not as impressive but would give it a C.  90's are still tallying. Overall it was a very good and possibly excellent seasonal outlook.

Should have the winter outlook later Sept.

45 90°+ days was a reasonable guess for a +0.5 to +1.0 summer.  It falls near the trendline of 90s vs average temp.  Just back in 2007, we had a similar overall summer departure with 44 days.  However, as it goes now (31, I believe?) this summer will be on the very low end of the number of 90° days.  For a summer average temp of >78°, the lowest annual number of 90° days was 33, in 1981.  It further shows how the early wetness and humidity altered this summer season.

One other stat stood out, in 1949, we had an above average summer by the 81-10 norms, and there were only 26 90° days. 

On the monthlies I would go A,A,C-/D+ and the overall call of +0.5 to +1.0 with a +.57 realized is absolutely stellar, A+. The rainfall call of 10-12" with 15.74 realized not as impressive but would give it a C. 90's are still tallying. Overall it was a very good and possibly excellent seasonal outlook.

Should have the winter outlook at the new site in about 3 weeks.

Looking forward to winter outlook.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived