• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How to become an on-air broadcaster on TWC?

Subtropics

A meteorology degree is not a requirement.

Any degree and you can get there? Would I need to have a family friend type connection to be hired or is it realistic to get in the door?

You have posted the most helpful response so far so I thank you for that Mr. Ellinwood.

Sorry for being so brash. I appreciate your response. I want to apply after undergrad. An interview would be a win in my book.

Good luck! Really tho, make sure your shtick is smooth. There really is a lot of competition for very few jobs. Starting in a local market will probably have to be a realistic start...but not the end.    

Any degree and you can get there? Would I need to have a family friend type connection to be hired or is it realistic to get in the door?

You have posted the most helpful response so far so I thank you for that Mr. Ellinwood.

The best part is my post was tongue-in-cheek.

Nearly all broadcasters on TWC have their met degree. I was making fun of Al Roker.

Get a met degree, take as many broadcasting classes as you can, get good grades and have good confidence, composure and communication skills. Being pretty also helps. Basically anything you would need for any broadcasting job. Some graphic design knowledge would probably be a good bonus as well.

I do not necessarily know the "pecking order," if there is any, to work your way into an on-air position at TWC. Perhaps you could message a few on Twitter and see if you get any answers.

Good luck! Really tho, make sure your shtick is smooth. There really is a lot of competition for very few jobs. Starting in a local market will probably have to be a realistic start...but not the end.    

I second this. Landing a TWC gig is most likely not a first step for most, on-air or otherwise.

Crystal Egger has a BA and a 60 hour Miss State U certificate that earns an AMS seal.  People getting BAs in things like radio-television-film and broadcast communications seem to have more time for extra curriculars in college than hard science majors or engineers. 

Don't even need a BS to be a 'severe weather expert' at TWC...

ETA  MSU's 60 hour remote learning green screen class for an AMS certificate and no science background required.

http://www.distance.msstate.edu/geosciences/BMP/index.html

Carl Parker, who joined The Weather Channel last year, is single and a native of Boston, Mass. He studied journalism at the University of Maryland and broadcast meteorology at Mississippi State University. He worked at KPRC-TV in Houston before joining the Weather Channel.

Read more: http://americanprofile.com/articles/carl-parker-jeanetta-jones-weather-channel/#ixzz2L2c2tuhm

A meteorology degree is not a requirement.

I know it was a requirement for at least up until 2003 (for both on-air mets and off-air). I don't know about after that. But originally, TWC was big about making sure all their mets were degreed and damn good at it. If I remember correctly (been a few years since I read Frank Batten's book), it was one thing they wanted to do to lead credance to the network. They kept it a requirement for as long as he was in charge.

Outside of Rooker, I'm pretty sure all the on-air mets are degreed. (I know I'm being redundant here).

I think working on communication skills, reporting skills, and probably start now with a video blog. Simple, but show a good energy level and having a healthy (quality) social media presense wouldn't hurt these days either.

Also....be on top of your game. Be better than just about anyone. Look better than most when doing it. That'll land some points too.

I know it was a requirement for at least up until 2003 (for both on-air mets and off-air). I don't know about after that. But originally, TWC was big about making sure all their mets were degreed and damn good at it. If I remember correctly (been a few years since I read Frank Batten's book), it was one thing they wanted to do to lead credance to the network. They kept it a requirement for as long as he was in charge.

Outside of Rooker, I'm pretty sure all the on-air mets are degreed.

Jeanetta Jones was a journalism major with no science background.  Just found out, she is off TWC because of a disabling automobile accident.

And Carl Parker and Crystal Egger are just the two w/o science degrees I am aware of.  There could be more, although I doubt they'd hire a non-met for anything but a OCM.

Egger BA in Communication, University of California

Meteorology, Mississippi State University

From TWC, note no degree listed...

Jeanetta Jones was a journalism major with no science background.  Just found out, she is off TWC because of a disabling automobile accident.

And Carl Parker and Crystal Egger are just the two w/o science degrees I am aware of.  There could be more, although I doubt they'd hire a non-met for anything but a OCM.

Huh, that I didn't know. I was going by what was in the book. I guess the book wasn't about to get into specific personalities.

on tv, they look for personality and looks.  weather is considered an entertainment part of the news.  yammering on about what a good forecaster might win points but not many.  start in a small market and work your way up.  my first chance at this came in 1986 when wboc in salisbury maryland called asking if i wanted to try out.  i said no at the time since i knew i was close to landing an nws job shortly.  and the lady who wanted an audition tape and interview was a total yutz to me on the phone.  rude as hell.

Archived