• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
North Georgia Snow - 2/2/2013 PICS

MotoWeatherman

thanks for this thread.  I think this was a major event for the N Ga counties.  I have some pics from Hightower gap, but they are too large when I try to pull directly off my iphone.  Is there an easy way to get pics from an iphone to this forum?  And yes the rain line was amazing.  luckily I was just above it imby and got several hours of heavy snow  (.27 water equivalent) but only about half of that stuck. it was gone Sunday afternoon.  Today I was on highway 9 North and some of the mountains are still white.  I am confident that above the ranger camp toward Suches there is probably still at least 4 inches on the ground. 

btw, went back up there Sunday with the kids and we built one snowman after another because the snow was that deep and perfect for sticking together.  you could build a good size snowman every 5 minutes.  we even made a huge ball that we could hardly roll and rolled it off the side of the hill.   pulled them on a sled from a rope behind the truck  between cooper gap and the rock wall (it could have been in that "don't tell Mom" commercial).  I think the kids had the most fun the've ever had in the snow.  

And drilling deeper, this was the perfect setup because there was very little wind, big flakes, and it was on a Saturday.  I had told my daughter that sometimes prayers for "sticking snow" don't work because there may be someone the same time praying that it won't snow, but I guess she didn't let that stop her. 

Ok now I'm turning this almost into banter, but Saturday was funny.  I had almost a mirror of this board in the family.  One kid saying it wasn't going to stick and it was over, one still with some hope but ticked off at the "forecast" of his older brother, and one just wishcasting and totally crying her eyes out after that first wave stopped.  I had to tell them you have to live in the moment and enjoy whats happening. 

thanks for this thread.  I think this was a major event for the N Ga counties.  I have some pics from Hightower gap, but they are too large when I try to pull directly off my iphone.  Is there an easy way to get pics from an iphone to this forum?  And yes the rain line was amazing.  luckily I was just above it imby and got several hours of heavy snow  (.27 water equivalent) but only about half of that stuck. it was gone Sunday afternoon.  Today I was on highway 9 North and some of the mountains are still white.  I am confident that above the ranger camp toward Suches there is probably still at least 4 inches on the ground. 

btw, went back up there Sunday with the kids and we built one snowman after another because the snow was that deep and perfect for sticking together.  you could build a good size snowman every 5 minutes.  we even made a huge ball that we could hardly roll and rolled it off the side of the hill.   pulled them on a sled from a rope behind the truck  between cooper gap and the rock wall (it could have been in that "don't tell Mom" commercial).  I think the kids had the most fun the've ever had in the snow.  

And drilling deeper, this was the perfect setup because there was very little wind, big flakes, and it was on a Saturday.  I had told my daughter that sometimes prayers for "sticking snow" don't work because there may be someone the same time praying that it won't snow, but I guess she didn't let that stop her. 

Ok now I'm turning this almost into banter, but Saturday was funny.  I had almost a mirror of this board in the family.  One kid saying it wasn't going to stick and it was over, one still with some hope but ticked off at the "forecast" of his older brother, and one just wishcasting and totally crying her eyes out after that first wave stopped.  I had to tell them you have to live in the moment and enjoy whats happening. 

I am happy for you guys! Maybe next time for us but it's cool that it's happening in areas of the south this year. Much better than last year for sure.

I am happy for you guys! Maybe next time for us but it's cool that it's happening in areas of the south this year. Much better than last year for sure.

Nice pics!  And Greg, it isn't so long ago when a snow like this came to the northern counties a couple of times  already by now.  Hardly a winter went by without a watch for the Gainesville north line once or twice a year.  Even if the state didn't get a hit, the northern counties did a lot of years.  T

Nice pics!  And Greg, it isn't so long ago when a snow like this came to the northern counties a couple of times  already by now.  Hardly a winter went by without a watch for the Gainesville north line once or twice a year.  Even if the state didn't get a hit, the northern counties did a lot of years.  T

You are right Tony, it's just been last winter and this winter. Total winter weather droughts in this area. Can't go nowhere but up from here though, right? :)

Archived