• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
1/23-24 clipper

Ian

From what I understand they have looked into it. Obs will be taken at national either way for safety but they could take obs from somewhere within 5 miles. I think one problem is needing two full time observers.

Like how Philly's snow site got moved across the river to a park in NJ? Hey, I'm all for that-- measuring at the park yielded Philadelphia two whopper snow totals (23" and 28.5") in 09/10 thy actually were higher than what downtown saw.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not just the location...it is also that snow is not being measured properly at that location...I measured 0.9" 100 yards from the potomac and I never swept...this was settled snow at 8:30 am..I even got over 0.5" on wooden planks over the river walking out to a pier.....How can someone get only 0.4" from 0.03" liquid in that clipper and the 0.03 is probably low anyway

it's not just the location...it is also that snow is not being measured properly at that location...I measured 0.9" 100 yards from the potomac and I never swept...this was settled snow at 8:30 am..I even got over 0.5" on wooden planks over the river walking out to a pier.....How can someone get only 0.4" from 0.03" liquid in that clipper and the 0.03 is probably low anyway

How hard is it to measure snow? 6 hr reports should generally beat honest end-event measurements anyway. No way they got 13:1 ratios last night.

1" for me and DCA had heavier radar returns than I did so go figure(again)

28 for my high today and think DCA was 29 so 3 consecutive for DCA that daytimne highs have not hit 30. That's decent and tomorrow should make it 4 straight.

Wonder if we had 4 such in 2009-10 snows or do have to go back to Feb 2007?

1" for me and DCA had heavier radar returns than I did so go figure(again)

28 for my high today and think DCA was 29 so 3 consecutive for DCA that daytimne highs have not hit 30. That's decent and tomorrow should make it 4 straight.

Wonder if we had 4 such in 2009-10 snows or do have to go back to Feb 2007?

We were in 20s on tue but had a midnight high of 32. If we stay in 20s tomorrow would be three which is longest since Jan 09. Four days below freezing would tie feb 2007 for most recent.

We were in 20s on tue but had a midnight high of 32. If we stay in 20s tomorrow would be three which is longest since Jan 09. Four days below freezing would tie feb 2007 for most recent.

2/07 was a genuinely good month of winter. Yeah we missed out on the big dog, but at least the sleet storm was interesting and had a high impact on the area.

Clipper on the 7th, sleet storm, snow burst near MLK day, and then the overperforming snow blitz late in the month--- 4 events in a month alongside a consistently cold pattern.

Archived