12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Medium Range-Long Range thread

NaoPos

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My earliest weather memories were of the late Jim O'Brien giving the forecast on Philly's ABC station (it was an Accuweather forecast at that point, though I am not sure when they signed on).

Dr Francis Davis. The man who turned me on to weather... Which makes me old... And my sig pic

Of course, I say that and the new EC has it, even better, colder, snowier... if that happens...

I simply remember March 1st was supposed to be a big bomb on the Euro in the fantasy range and it ended up being 44 and breezy.  In a sense, the Euro did bomb alright. ;)

Adam, or someone else. I see the MJO looks to be heading into Phase 7. Wa slooking up composites on the CPC site. Wasnt sure if i should use JFM, FMA, or MAM? all 3 have a different look to them. lol.

Also, the ECM ENS have something in that time frame. AT this point, dont worry about rain/snow/temps/location. But the Euro is sniffing out something, along with the ensembles. THere seems to be a decent PNA spike and a solid block (west based & associated 50-50 low to be in play)

he5ysuhe.jpg

u4yhuty7.jpg

At this point, I'd use the raleighwx MJO H5 composites. With it being a time of year where wavelengths are changing, the 3 month composites don't do much for me.

Re: the euro threat, obviously concerned about cold air sources again.

#climo

Lol though I'd argue that the airmass being modeled is light years better than anything we had to work with last week, but the point stands we are talking late March.

#climo

Lol though I'd argue that the airmass being modeled is light years better than anything we had to work with last week, but the point stands we are talking late March.

Danger, Will Robinson ;)

I think what he was getting at is the source region more than anything. In the last event, the source region wasn't really any colder than the Northeast, overall. In this setup, yes, warm air is a big issue because of the time of year. But, there is at least a respectable cold air source in Canada, pooling under some pretty good blocking.

My "worry" is a faster evacuation of the cold into western Canada and this trends toward a very similar type of blocking setup to last week's event. This is where the Tropical Pacific comes in to help hedge I guess. I think my main concern, once again, is what happens at the shore. Unfortunately, we have at least another nor'easter or two to go before we move out of the cold season.

I think what he was getting at is the source region more than anything. In the last event, the source region wasn't really any colder than the Northeast, overall. In this setup, yes, warm air is a big issue because of the time of year. But, there is at least a respectable cold air source in Canada, pooling under some pretty good blocking.

My "worry" is a faster evacuation of the cold into western Canada and this trends toward a very similar type of blocking setup to last week's event. This is where the Tropical Pacific comes in to help hedge I guess. I think my main concern, once again, is what happens at the shore. Unfortunately, we have at least another nor'easter or two to go before we move out of the cold season.

I'm with you on the nor'easters. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't take a whole lot of Qdot error in the models to modify that airmass a lot more than modeled.

I'm with you on the nor'easters. I was just pointing out that it wouldn't take a whole lot of Qdot error in the models to modify that airmass a lot more than modeled.

This almost looks like where the Euro was in fcst time with the previous system when it initially overphased and then eventually went into too much suppression mode.  Not promoting a 1012 low as the go to solution,  though would like to see if this sticks within 144 hours before worrying about the shore again. 

Wonder where the fall line is on Andy's snowfall map.  :unsure:

Certainly all true. Plenty of time for anything to happen really. At least there is a very reasonable *chance* for a more respectable air mass to be in play, more so than last week. I mean, could it really get any more stale than last week's garbage air mass?

Archived