• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium Range-Long Range thread

NaoPos

My limited access to the weeklies didn't show me anything different than what has been discussed. Cold week 2 Jan 21-28 with clippers. May get a few mild days week 3 slightly cooler than normal either side, systems to try to punch at the cold in place? More of a gradient pattern from the looks of it week 4 with arctic air in the north similar to week 2 and above normal temps in the southeast. Stormier as well. MJO would favor us on the colder side of things through mid Feb which the weeklies now go through.  Not consistent bitter cold to say the least. Again I have very limited access to this product not associated with the NWS. So take this with a grain of salt.  For those who see more please counter or confirm. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My limited access to the weeklies didn't show me anything different than what has been discussed. Cold week 2 Jan 21-28 with clippers. May get a few mild days week 3 slightly cooler than normal either side, systems to try to punch at the cold in place? More of a gradient pattern from the looks of it week 4 with arctic air in the north similar to week 2 and above normal temps in the southeast. Stormier as well. MJO would favor us on the colder side of things through mid Feb which the weeklies now go through.  Not consistent bitter cold to say the least. Again I have very limited access to this product not associated with the NWS. So take this with a grain of salt.  For those who see more please counter or confirm. 

From what i read, your assessment sounds good. Have to had from what i saiw weeks 3 and 4 featured pos pna and -nao.

From this weeks cpc MJO status update. They are discounting the model outlooks.  http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjoupdate.pdf

The MJO favors an increased likelihood for below-normal temperatures for parts of the central and eastern U.S. during the last 7-10 days of January into early February. Drier-than-average conditions are also favored for portions of the western U.S.

Here's the morning updates from the GEFS, EURO and UKIE MJO outlooks.

GEFS:

uhe6eryv.jpg

UKIE:

avusytu6.jpg

ECM:

ururaram.jpg

The ECM is less enthusiastic of the 3 shown here.

Looks like a slight stall in phase 7, maybe dying out, but then gets new life shortly afterwards.. If we can keep it going Phase 7-8-1, that would bode very well in conjunction with the ongoing MMW. You already see a good amount of high latitude blocking being progged in the Medium range.

I don't believe the window will be at the onset of the cold air assault, but rather between arctic shots. (while not historic, record breaking, it should be pretty damn ample, just not enough snow cover as tombo alluded to to stop it from moderating as it works its way east from the lakes.)

If the MJO forecasts verify into a decent pulse into those octants, we could be talking a nice window of opportunity somewhere late jan-early feb.

Also, question for the mets/advanced forecasters in here. With the assault on the PV , and its subsequent weakening, will that allow to northern stream to relax a little bit and let loose some northern stream vorts into the CONUS? im pretty sure its a yes, just wanna double check that. Thanks in advance.

GEFS:

UKIE:

ECM:

Looks like a slight stall in phase 7, maybe dying out, but then gets new life shortly afterwards.. If we can keep it going Phase 7-8-1, that would bode very well in conjunction with the ongoing MMW. You already see a good amount of high latitude blocking being progged in the Medium range.

I don't believe the window will be at the onset of the cold air assault, but rather between arctic shots. (while not historic, record breaking, it should be pretty damn ample, just not enough snow cover as tombo alluded to to stop it from moderating as it works its way east from the lakes.)

If the MJO forecasts verify into a decent pulse into those octants, we could be talking a nice window of opportunity somewhere late jan-early feb.

Also, question for the mets/advanced forecasters in here. With the assault on the PV , and its subsequent weakening, will that allow to northern stream to relax a little bit and let loose some northern stream vorts into the CONUS? im pretty sure its a yes, just wanna double check that. Thanks in advance.

I belive either one you posted or this one is the euro ens, but they are more enthused about jump starting it towards phase 8

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

here also are the ones i think mike ventrice posted about, they seem more gefs based?

statphase_full.gif

I belive either one you posted or this one is the euro ens, but they are more enthused about jump starting it towards phase 8

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

here also are the ones i think mike ventrice posted about, they seem more gefs based?

statphase_full.gif

Wow is it flying through phase 6.  Regardless of whether it gets into phase8 or not, the mjo does not look like it will be an instrument for warm forcing into early Feb.  Is Feb still around?  Anyway, easily distracted at my age.  Oh yes maybe it isnt disconcerting that the NAEFS week2 is not "cold" yet as I'm like you I just envision the storm track going off of Jacksonville if we get too deep in the cold air. It almost looks like a developing double barrel shot, one next week with a pause in the middle and then another late Jan, early Feb. This seems to be fitting HM's thoughts. Has anyone else noticed how much colder the day run solutions have been than the night runs (especially the Euro)?

GEFS:

UKIE:

ECM:

not sure. I thought this product was the op:

Notice it just says ECMF

u8uvubup.jpg

whereas, i thought this was the ensemble? ECM M* (mean?)

pudy7una.jpg

Till we figure this out, i thought we could just look at this outlook:

my4yhu2y.jpg

That should cover us till june...

I like the threat of a clipper next tuesday timeframe, only thing that concerns me is that it traverses north of us and fires up a miller b at our latitude, where we miss out. With the pattern being advertised clippers may become plentiful rotating around that pv, something we haven't seen in years. Also, like the timeframe the last week in january once that pac ridge breaks down a little and impulses start firing over the ridge. With the pv over hudson bay and some greenland blocking i would think storms would cut underneath the area.

I like the threat of a clipper next tuesday timeframe, only thing that concerns me is that it traverses north of us and fires up a miller b at our latitude, where we miss out. With the pattern being advertised clippers may become plentiful rotating around that pv, something we haven't seen in years. Also, like the timeframe the last week in january once that pac ridge breaks down a little and impulses start firing over the ridge. With the pv over hudson bay and some greenland blocking i would think storms would cut underneath the area.

I am not bullish on a clipper delivering in the next 7-10 days. It could happen, but most runs track them north of here. Remnants of the  SE ridge keeps them from digging too far in the east.  There is the hint of a secondary developing near NC on day 7 but it will probably track too far off shore. Agree that things could improve the last week in January.

Arctic fronts do outperform even if its not everywhere (windex type squalls),  but we have to make it a true arctic front (1000-850mb thicknesses < 1250m) not a side-swap outcome. 

Archived