vokive3692
    Newest Member
    vokive3692
DISCUSSION ONLY: Snow/rain/slopfest potential Tuesday 11/27/2012

famartin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at EC data it's all snow in Philly. This run is somewhat colder than the 12z yesturday for those in philly or along the NJ turnpike/295. Most of south NJ and the shore is around 40 with rain. Precipitation start time was very favorable on this run as well. For snow we want it to start early to offset daytime heating. A later start time afternoon or evening would mean temps make it into the 40's for Philly and NJ. I would take this run given it passes the heaviest snow right over Mount Holly. Being daytime and temps just above freezing 35 or so on the EC I would expect ratios around 5:1 or so. 12z Model runs should be interesting. Personal views not NWS.

On the 12z NAM, the northern jet stream impulse is a little more defined, hence the northern stripe of precip is a more robust

The NAM has been trending wetter for the area ever since the 00z run which gave the area nothing. Now with this 12z run, it gives the area a widespread 0.25-0.5" of pcpn. Should be interesting to see if those trends continue with the 12z suite in general and with the 18z NAM.

Mitchell thanks for your thoughts! I'm thinking snow gets in our area around 7-9am, it snows, but just wets the ground, we get some stickage as the day progresses, but mostly on grassy areas, 1-2 inches max. The NAM sim radar @ 48 hours (bound to change 100 times though) looks good, some heavier precip, could be a 3-4hr time range where we have a chance for accumulations, we'll see.

The models that had the storm hitting SNE were slowing the initial s/w down so that the backside s/w caught up to it & swung the trough negative. The latest trends from 18z yesterday to right now speed up the initial s/w so by the time it catches up to it it's too late.

Archived