WRN KS BY LATE AFTERNOON SAT. SUBSTANTIAL HEIGHT FALLS AND COOLING

ALOFT WILL ACCOMPANY THIS COLD FRONT...AND STORMS WILL EASILY ERUPT

ALONG IT.

HEATING IS EXPECTED TO HELP DESTABILIZE THE AIR MASS FROM KS INTO

NEB...WITH LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATE PLUME POSSIBLY EXTENDING AS FAR N AS

SWRN MN. WITH DEWPOINTS ONLY IN THE UPPER 50S F...INSTABILITY LEVELS

ARE FORECAST TO BE MARGINAL WITH AROUND 1000 J/KG MUCAPE. CAPPING

SHOULD HAMPER DEVELOPMENT AWAY FROM THE FRONT DUE TO COOL BOUNDARY

LAYER TEMPERATURES. ALL THIS SUGGESTS A LINEAR STORM MODE IS LIKELY.

WHILE DEEP SHEAR WILL BE ORIENTED ALONG THE BOUNDARY...SUGGESTING

CELLS MERGING...HODOGRAPHS WILL FAVOR EMBEDDED SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF

DAMAGING WINDS AND MARGINAL HAIL. WITH SUCH STRONG SHEAR...A FEW

BOWING SEGMENTS MAY PRODUCE PARTICULARLY DAMAGING WINDS.

SAT NIGHT...THE MAIN ENERGY WITH THIS TROUGH WILL EJECT NEWD INTO

THE UPPER MS VALLEY...WHILE THE COLD FRONT CONTINUES TO MOVE SEWD

ACROSS INTO IA...MO...AND OK. ALTHOUGH NUMEROUS STORMS ARE LIKELY TO

EXTEND SWWD INTO OK SAT NIGHT...THE OVERALL THREAT WILL BE LIMITED

BY MARGINAL INSTABILITY.

SOME SEVERE THREAT IS EXPECTED TO PERSIST INTO SUN/D6...FROM ERN OK

INTO AR...NERN TX AND NRN LA. DAMAGING WINDS WILL AGAIN BE THE MOST

LIKELY THREAT WITH A SQUALL LINE...BUT VERY POOR LOW LEVEL LAPSE

RATES ARE FORECAST AND INSTABILITY WILL BE MARGINAL. IN

ADDITION...MODELS ARE IN RELATIVELY POOR AGREEMENT WITH THIS PORTION

OF THE TROUGH WHICH WILL PRECLUDE ANY FURTHER AREAS.

..JEWELL.. 11/06/2012

Regarding the bolded part, I'm not sure exactly how low to mid 70s for boundary layer sfc temps in November (which is what the NWS is forecasting throughout the Plains on Saturday) is considered "cool". Something tells me they are running with the GFS thermos a bit (which also shows 60s dews, not just upper 50s for the corridor they highlighted, but that is somewhat less of a difference than the BL temps). The deep layer shear vectors aren't exactly all that parallel to the boundary, either, if you believe the GFS (and I'd tend to think the Euro as well). The cap depicted is not the strongest (especially over the area they outlined), and that difference in the boundary layer temps between the GFS and forecast highs could be the difference between seeing any pre-frontal convection or not. I have noticed a trend this year, that it seems that the GFS' forecasted convective inhibition was nearly always stronger than what actually verified, especially >4 days out, which usually resulted in a hindering of the setup actually, because too much convection ended up firing and suffocated any initial discrete cell.

The Euro's stronger secondary surface cyclogenesis (try saying that 5 times in a row) is also something to take into account.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're going to be crying Saturday evening when the 00z soundings come in from OK/KS if the ECMWF has anything to say about it. Absolutely textbook shear with 60-80 kts at H5 out of the WSW, and a 40-60 kt southerly LLJ. Surface low is 994 mb in NW KS at 00z Sun. Trouble is, it also has surface dew points in the mid 50s, resulting in < 500 J/kg SBCAPE (and needless to say, no convective initiation). The shear profiles look so good that I'd actually be excited if we could just get the 60-61 F dew points shown on the GFS to verify. If not for this week's trough scouring the Gulf, this would probably be one of the better threats of 2012.

^ Where is that?

And I have a question: Why is it that high shear / low CAPE setups are so prolific in the Southeast? Sometimes I read AFDs from that region that almost sound as though low CAPE is a requirement for them to get tornadoes.

That's in north-central OK.

You won't get as much of a cap present in the southeast usually, so in general, they rarely build up as much CAPE before storms are triggered, compared to the Plains where much higher CAPE can develop without a single Cb taking off.

The 0Z GFS looked pretty good in Western Oklahoma and Southwest Kansas with a 1000 MB low in SW KS at 0Z Sunday. The GFS also does break out precipitation by 0Z with CAPE values between 500 and 750 J/Kg. With the low instability bias with the GFS and the good looking wind profiles, I'm still interested in a local chase on Saturday. I'll already be in Norman, so a 2.5 hour drive out west is nothing. We'll see what happens!

The 0Z GFS looked pretty good in Western Oklahoma and Southwest Kansas with a 1000 MB low in SW KS at 0Z Sunday. The GFS also does break out precipitation by 0Z with CAPE values between 500 and 750 J/Kg. With the low instability bias with the GFS and the good looking wind profiles, I'm still interested in a local chase on Saturday. I'll already be in Norman, so a 2.5 hour drive out west is nothing. We'll see what happens!

Good luck David.

I was also looking at the Arklatex on the GFS/GGEM (too far for you to go out of Norman) on Sunday, as moisture return kicks into higher gear by then with 65+ sfc dews overspreading the area, although the deep layer shear vectors aren't as perpendicular as they are on Sunday, I'd tend to think a QLCS would be a more dominant storm mode, although large, looping hodographs suggest spin ups along the line if it were to form. A secondary sfc low along the front, which has been suggested from time to time, wouldn't hurt this either.

Good luck David.

I was also looking at the Arklatex on the GFS/GGEM (too far for you to go out of Norman) on Sunday, as moisture return kicks into higher gear by then with 65+ sfc dews overspreading the area, although the deep layer shear vectors aren't as perpendicular as they are on Sunday, I'd tend to think a QLCS would be a more dominant storm mode, although large, looping hodographs suggest spin ups along the line if it were to form. A secondary sfc low along the front, which has been suggested from time to time, wouldn't hurt this either.

I still live in Dallas, so If it looked good enough to chase, I would chase it. Nothing is set in stone right now and I was just speculating based on current model data. I haven't even begun thinking about serious chase plans.

I still live in Dallas, so If it looked good enough to chase, I would chase it. Nothing is set in stone right now and I was just speculating based on current model data. I haven't even begun thinking about serious chase plans.

No, I know. I was just going by the fact that you said you would already be in Norman on the 10th.

Saturday finally in NAM range. Moisture and instability woes look similar, but the dryline position appears a bit farther W, running from the Panhandles into W KS. Some hints at convective initiation during the afternoon, and hodographs look fairly nice. I'm not sure I've ever bothered chasing an environment with 500-1000 J/kg SBCAPE in the Plains, but if moisture return improves slightly, this might still be borderline interesting.

Another winter storm likely late thu-sun for North Dakota.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND

357 PM CST WED NOV 7 2012

...MODERATE SNOW OVER NORTHWEST AND NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA

THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...

...ANOTHER ROUND OF WINTER WEATHER OVER ALL OF WEST AND CENTRAL

NORTH DAKOTA FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

.A STRONG STORM SYSTEM DEVELOPING OVER THE CENTRAL ROCKIES WILL

MOVE INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS AND SPREAD A MIX OF WINTRY WEATHER

BEGINNING THURSDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUING INTO THE WEEKEND.

NORTHWEST AND NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA ARE FAVORED FOR SNOW

BEGINNING THURSDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUING INTO FRIDAY. 3 TO

5 INCHES OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE FROM WATFORD CITY TO

WILLISTON...AND STANLEY...MINOT AND BOTTINEAU. ISOLATED HIGHER

AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE CROSBY AREA. A WINTER WEATHER

ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR THIS AREA.

A SECOND AND POTENTIALLY MORE SEVERE WAVE OF WINTER WEATHER IS

EXPECTED TO IMPACT WESTERN AND CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA BEGINNING FRIDAY

NIGHT AND CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING. UP TO A FOOT SNOW IS

POSSIBLE ALONG AND NORTH OF HIGHWAY 2...WHILE A MIX OF SNOW...

SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN MAY OCCUR FARTHER SOUTH. A WINTER STORM

WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL BUT FAR SOUTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA

FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TRAVEL LATE THIS WEEK...BE PREPARED FOR DANGEROUS

WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS. MONITOR LOCAL MEDIA AND

WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BIS FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

NDZ001>004-009>011-017-080600-

/O.CON.KBIS.WW.Y.0013.121109T0300Z-121110T0000Z/

/O.CON.KBIS.WS.A.0004.121110T0000Z-121111T1800Z/

DIVIDE-BURKE-RENVILLE-BOTTINEAU-WILLIAMS-MOUNTRAIL-WARD-MCKENZIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CROSBY...BOWBELLS...MOHALL...

BOTTINEAU...WILLISTON...NEW TOWN...MINOT...WATFORD CITY

357 PM CST WED NOV 7 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THURSDAY

TO 6 PM CST FRIDAY...

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING

THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

* TIMING...LATE THURSDAY EVENING NORTHWEST...SPREADING INTO

NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA OVERNIGHT INTO FRIDAY. A SECOND

ROUND OF HEAVIER SNOW POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT...3 TO 5 INCHES OF NEW SNOW POSSIBLE THURSDAY

NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AN ADDITIONAL 6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW

POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY.

* OTHER IMPACTS...TRAVEL COULD BECOME VERY HAZARDOUS AS SNOW

ACCUMULATES ON AREA ROADS. WINDS GUSTING OVER 30 MPH COULD

CREATE REDUCED VISIBILITY AND DRIFTING SNOW AT TIMES.

$$

NDZ005-012-013-018>023-025-031>037-040-041-043-080600-

/O.CON.KBIS.WS.A.0004.121110T0000Z-121111T1800Z/

ROLETTE-MCHENRY-PIERCE-DUNN-MERCER-OLIVER-MCLEAN-SHERIDAN-WELLS-

FOSTER-GOLDEN VALLEY-BILLINGS-STARK-MORTON-BURLEIGH-KIDDER-

STUTSMAN-SLOPE-HETTINGER-BOWMAN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROLLA...TOWNER...RUGBY...KILLDEER...

BEULAH...HAZEN...CENTER...GARRISON...MCCLUSKY...HARVEY...

CARRINGTON...BEACH...MEDORA...DICKINSON...MANDAN...BISMARCK...

STEELE...JAMESTOWN...MARMARTH...MOTT...BOWMAN

357 PM CST WED NOV 7 2012 /257 PM MST WED NOV 7 2012/

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING

THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

* TIMING...NORTH OF INTERSTATE 94...SNOW WILL DEVELOP WEST

FRIDAY EVENING AND SPREAD EAST OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY.

PERIODS OF SNOW MAY CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY MORNING. ALONG AND

SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 94...A WINTRY MIX WILL BEGIN FRIDAY

EVENING SOUTHWEST...AND SPREAD EAST INTO THE JAMES RIVER

VALLEY SATURDAY MORNING.

* SNOW IMPACTS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF POSSIBLE FROM BEACH TO

BEULAH...THROUGH VELVA...RUGBY AND BELCOURT. 2 TO 4 INCHES

OF SNOW POSSIBLE FROM MEDORA AND DICKINSON...THROUGH CENTER...

WING AND HARVEY. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS LESS THAN 2 INCHES

POSSIBLE FROM BOWMAN AND MOTT...THROUGH BISMARCK AND MANDAN...

STEELE AND JAMESTOWN. SNOW COVERED AND VERY SLICK ROADS.

* SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN IMPACTS...LIGHT TO MODERATE SLEET AND

FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE MAINLY ALONG AND

SOUTH OF THE INTERSTATE 94 CORRIDOR. ICE COVERED AND VERY

SLICK ROADS.

* OTHER IMPACTS...WINDS GUSTING OVER 30 MPH COULD CREATE REDUCED

VISIBILITY AND DRIFTING SNOW AT TIMES...IN AREAS IMPACTED BY

HEAVIER SNOW.

SREF Sig. Tornado Ingredients for 6 PM Saturday. Keep in mind that the parameters were adjusted and thus, it is easier to reach a higher scale. Time will tell whether or not this decreases its accuracy.

There's no question the adjusted parameters are having an effect, although I did notice that there is a fairly strong consensus to get ML/SBCAPE over 500 J/kg and even some to get them both over 1000 J/kg around 18-00z Saturday.

That, and Sunday looks a bit better this run of the GFS, with 1000-1500 J/kg becoming established across parts of Eastern TX, although concerns over the lack of a focused sfc low, linear forcing and rather shoddy mid-level lapse rates continue to be issues.

Saturday is definitely a "woulda coulda shoulda" situation with great shear in place over favorable chase terrain. Oh well; it's November. Now that I've completely given up on it, I'm slightly intrigued by Sunday for north-central TX, primarily E of I-35. Chaser-friendly or not, the environment depicted on the NAM at 00z looks moderately favorable for tornadic supercells should discrete mode prevail. That's a big question mark given the frontal orientation relative to the deep-layer shear vectors, and the forecast for an ongoing squall line through the day anywhere N of the Red. Still worth keeping an eye on, as moisture will actually be in supply by then. Seems the only decent tornado events to affect the Metroplex going several years back are borderline-surprise ones.

post-972-0-51557100-1352438903_thumb.png

Beginning to like Sunday a bit more on the GFS, mainly due to the surface trough not filling as fast as was originally projected. There are some great wind profiles coming out of Eastern TX and the Arklatex on Sunday afternoon/evening, the question is whether anything discrete will develop/be able to sustain itself and also whether there will be any junk cloud cover in the area, which I think is a pretty good possibility, the NAM's instability isn't as great as it was a couple of runs ago.

Also, new D2 removed the 30% probs.

00z NAM really increased the instability fields across the Plains tomorrow, got some pretty nice looking soundings popping up across Central KS and NE, including after dark. Also went back to having a wider instability axis on Sunday as well.

Another thought about Sunday is whether we see instability spread further east into LA/Southern AR later on once the LLJ really gets kicking. We saw this on Oct. 17th when instability wasn't progged to make if very far at all east of the MS River by a lot of model guidance, instead, it did and we had the overnight tornado event.

And regardless of moisture problems, this trough is very impressive, has a 120+ kt H5 jet streak with it by Sunday. It's nice to see such an energetic system actually make it to the Central US out of the west, unlike essentially the last 7 months.

the sig tor graphic is basically useless until an event that performs happens imo. the oct event that "busted" had a huge 50 contour for two days in a row.

It wasn't useless before they lowered the CAPE and raised the LCL thresholds. Now, sadly, it seems to be nearly useless. If it still required 1000 J/kg MLCAPE, I bet we'd be seeing 10% at best.

I'm really surprised by the amount of chatter in the chase community about tomorrow. Usually I'm one of the last to completely write something off, since I'm satisfied with decent structure even when tornado potential is nil. I will admit I have kind of a rigid mental threshold of 60 F for dew points when dealing with anything east of the High Plains. Only on a very few occasions have I seen exceptions (8 Mar 2010 in W OK being the only one coming to mind at the moment).

What really bothers me is the combination of low buoyancy and a narrow instability axis with extreme deep-layer shear. Estimated storm motion on most forecast soundings tomorrow is in the ballpark of 55 kt. That gives you under two hours before an incipient updraft near the dryline/front begins leaving what little instability we'll have. Also, it sometimes seems to take supercells longer to mature when facing an environment characterized by a 100+ kt jet streak in the vicinity.

All that said, this is probably the best-looking LLJ we've seen on the Plains since April 14, being out of the south at 45-55 kt. NAM soundings for areas like PTT-RSL at 00z look almost doable, if not for the cap at the bottom of the EML. I'd be rather shocked to see any red dots on the reports map tomorrow night, but there will probably be quite a few green ones on SN, and I just might be one.

The October 12 event produced multiple tornadoes. I'm not using it on a large-scale, but using it as a means to determine that something indeed is worth watching.

yeah a few quick ones. but it was generally lesser than many (not necessarily here) thought it would be. there are plenty of other ways to come to those conclusions without that graphic imo. in the past the 50 contour tended to mean more than it seems to now.. so in that sense im talking some sort of calibration event.

Archived