• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Some pattern discussion (and a plug for a website)

OKpowdah

Hey everyone. A couple of my friends from Plymouth State and myself have been discussing forming a forecasting/consulting business for about a year now. Quite likely that nothing comes of it. Regardless, I wanted to share our website:

http://atmosolutions.blogspot.com/

I'll try to keep up posting there at least once a week. The discussions are nothing too special, but I want to try to do for now is just a general summary of the larger scale evolution ahead a couple weeks (or further for anything particularly interesting).

As most of you probably know, I love taking specific events and linking them to the big picture. Essentially that's what I'll aim to do here, without getting too technical ...and appealing to all of our numerous future investors (:lol:). Anyway, I figure at the very least it might be good reference here also for anyone wanting a quick summary of how I'm seeing things evolve.

So enjoy. I just did a write-up on the Canadian trough, looking at a timeline of events for the CONUS. Obviously staying cold in New England for a little while. Of particular interest to me is what happens once that GOA block breaks down and the s/w train into the west begins again. Opens the door for some severe weather possibilities here :) but also expecting that storminess to translate eastward. October 2012 looks like the month of cold rain so far.

And maybe, if I have some time, I might even post some Freudian snowfall maps for you this winter :lol:

Nice site,Sam-I-am.

haha thanks.

Oh I forgot one of the main objectives. We are running our own WRF and various ensemble versions and we were thinking of trying to get the forecasts up on the site. Absolutely no idea on the expected timeline of this happening, but I'll let you know ...if it happens.

Until then, enjoy the "WRF forecasts" page, consisting of "coming soon..."

Hey everyone. A couple of my friends from Plymouth State and myself have been discussing forming a forecasting/consulting business for about a year now. Quite likely that nothing comes of it. Regardless, I wanted to share our website:

Best of luck to you! I always like hearing about folks trying to make their own way instead of asking for a handout. I did that when I was in school back in the 80s forecasting for ski areas, radio stations, etc. and it helped pay my way. I hope it works out for you.

Best of luck to you! I always like hearing about folks trying to make their own way instead of asking for a handout. I did that when I was in school back in the 80s forecasting for ski areas, radio stations, etc. and it helped pay my way. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks! I love following current weather, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in operational forecasting at a WFO. At the same time I want to contribute to the field through research. I feel like consulting opens up some options to combine research and actually implement new ideas in forecasting.

Like I said, I doubt anything comes of it, but my group of friends that have been talking are smart people (four masters, one going for a PhD right now). It's just a matter of if we make the move.

haha thanks.

Oh I forgot one of the main objectives. We are running our own WRF and various ensemble versions and we were thinking of trying to get the forecasts up on the site. Absolutely no idea on the expected timeline of this happening, but I'll let you know ...if it happens.

Until then, enjoy the "WRF forecasts" page, consisting of "coming soon..."

Nice site, looking forward to seeing your WRF output.

As a side note, I took over Emily's WRF machine, so I plan to start doing some case studies/analyses using WRF in the future. By the end of this winter, I should have an endless selection of case studies.

Nice site, looking forward to seeing your WRF output.

As a side note, I took over Emily's WRF machine, so I plan to start doing some case studies/analyses using WRF in the future. By the end of this winter, I should have an endless selection of case studies.

That's awesome! You already have a ton of cases to work with. This winter alone will probably keep you pretty busy. I had a list of 41 wind events for just 4 years of data. If you stumble over some really interesting cases, shoot me a message!

Lol, I was obviously trolling you. I think you are doing a great job.

lol alright, thanks!

Sam how long did you intern in NWS Anchorage?

Just for the summer. I was there for 9 weeks, presented in DC, then moved to OK.

Loved it up there though! Definitely will make a point of going back sometime.

Archived