Newest Member
    CHSVol
Who is more dedicated?

tombo82685

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more dedicated

• Ray
    • Lee

This poll is to determine who is more dedicated in the hobby they have.

First is ray, who mounts his anemometer on a telephone pole, then trims up one tree in the way, then chops another tree in half so it has little affect on the measurements

480788_10150970701556605_1995413423_n.jpg

or is it the great thundersnow wonder from brookhaven who has enough antennas on his house to guide an airplane into his backyard. The anntennas are used for his hobby of dxing and eskipping or whatever its called.

540644_3740737631511_1581882230_n.jpg

I had 5 trees taken out.

Pictures or it didn't happen :)

Actually, these stories remind me of when I was a kid. My parents had a tree in the front yard that would block a good view of the street light, so I'd climb up it and cut (or rip) down a few branches so my view from the living room window wasn't obscured in the winter for snow observing. :snowwindow:

Lee, definitely. 5, soon to be 8 antennas is definitely dedication. I'm a DXer too, and I get by with just 1 antenna, and I have even logged more stations than Lee. But I haven't ever seen a tornado in my life, let alone driven through one.

If my neighbor had 8 antennas on his roof, I'd first think "secret agent" then "ham radio operator" before I would think "FM DXer". Besides, a little smartphone with the i Heart Radio app can pick up more stations than Lee's 5 antennas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXing

DXing is the hobby of receiving and identifying distant radio or television signals, or making two way radio contact with distant stations in amateur radio, citizens' band radio or other two way radio communications. Many DXers also attempt to obtain written verifications of reception or contact, sometimes referred to as "QSLs" or "veries". The name of the hobby comes from DX, telegraphic shorthand for "distance" or "distant".[1]

The satellite dish counts as an antenna, so make that 6 antennas on Lee's roof.

Reminds me of someone who has 50 bikes in his basement, and a lot more bike parts.

I'd think a bigger fail is taking a week off work to drive to the Midwest for storm chasing, and it being sunny all week with no storms.

Archived