• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Road Trip

I wanted to share some shots from my recent road trip out west in Colorado and Utah. I have several hundred photos, but wanted to share a few of my favorites.

The earlier series is from Maroon Bells outside of Aspen which is a beautiful hiking spot near 10K in elevation. The summits are over 14K. So much for all of the fuss about 2K in western New England...

As you can see there is still some snow above about 11-12K, which is a far cry from the hot, arid conditions that exist around 4-5K in western CO and UT. Unlike the eastern US where things are dictated more by synoptic scale features, weather and snowfall is determined much more by elevation and mesoscale orographic processes. That's not to say synoptics aren't important there too, it's just that topography plays a much bigger role. Weather forecasting in the intermountain west is much harder than it is elsewhere. Only be a met there if you want to be wrong most of the time...

The later series is from Arches NP and vicinity around Moab. The landscape is very Martian in that it is dominated red sandstone sculptures and arches. It's bizarre, yet beautiful at the same time. I don't have the best quality camera, but hope you enjoy.

img3046ab.jpg

img3075j.jpg

I love the color of this lake...

img3058vi.jpg

img3077vx.jpg

img3042m.jpg

Prime beaver real estate...

img3063z.jpg

Great pics Mitch, wow. Did you backpack into the wilderness there in Utah and Colo to get those photos? they are great bro, nice. Defintely on my bucket list to see and do one day before I die

thanks for sharing

No, there was no backpacking involved. These spots were all within a mile or two (sometimes less) of the park's main road. Some of the photos from Moab were taken from an ATV trail. ATV is a great way to explore this part of the world.

Very nice pictures, Mitch! If you liked the color of the water in that one photo, you should visit Emerald Bay on the western shore of Lake Tahoe. Truly Magnificent and photos don't do it any justice, IMO. I have got to move to CO, and will hopefully accomplish this within the next 5-7 years. I truly miss living out West.

Archived