• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible frost/freeze on the 23rd and 24th

Met1985

Looks like we could have another bout of freezing temps coming our way on the morning of the 23rd and the 24th. The 23rd looks like just a mountains event possibly with some snow falling but i have detailed that in another thread. Tuesday morning looks like a wider expanse of cold from NE Tennessee through Western North Carolina into the foothills. It looks like right now this would be only a couple hours around 32 degrees but this is pretty late in the season and always something to keep our eye on. Also looking down the road to Friday could be another chance for freezing temps but still way early.

The models have trended much much colder in a today's run with the 850 0 degree mark running all the way down to middle Alabama, Middle Georgia, All of Tennessee and most of North Carolina. This looks like two days of frost/freeze coming. This looks much more serious today than it did this morning. Again many crops could be affected and this could be a big blow to agricultural for this coming summer. Not good at all especially since we are at the end of April pretty much. Just amazing how this whole year has been.

The models have trended much much colder in a today's run with the 850 0 degree mark running all the way down to middle Alabama, Middle Georgia, All of Tennessee and most of North Carolina. This looks like two days of frost/freeze coming. This looks much more serious today than it did this morning. Again many crops could be affected and this could be a big blow to agricultural for this coming summer. Not good at all especially since we are at the end of April pretty much. Just amazing how this whole year has been.

Unless people are growing crops in the high terrain or farther north than they should be this time of year, this won't be anything damaging. It's just not going to be cold enough or extended enough to be a concern.

Unless people are growing crops in the high terrain or farther north than they should be this time of year, this won't be anything damaging. It's just not going to be cold enough or extended enough to be a concern.

True but there are already a lot of apple trees and crops out up here because of the March we had. The freeze we had in the first of the month damaged several crops hendersonville nc. Also i have heard of fruit trees being dameged as far south as NE Alabama.

Folks,

The upcoming cold has a good shot at bringing Atlanta and many areas in the SE US their coldest readings since all the way back to 3/5-6! In addition, the projected negative anomaly for 4/23 at KATL is for it to be the most negative since all the way back on 2/12! This is one of the most interesting events of the last few months tempwise.

By the way, three cheers for Doc, which picked up on this cold well before Goofy. Hip hip hooray!

Folks,

The upcoming cold has a good shot at bringing Atlanta and many areas in the SE US their coldest readings since all the way back to 3/5-6! In addition, the projected negative anomaly for 4/23 at KATL is for it to be the most negative since all the way back on 2/12! This is one of the most interesting events of the last few months tempwise.

By the way, three cheers for Doc, which picked on this cold well before Goofy. Hip hip hooray!

This rain has been a surprise Larry. I'm over a half inch and still coming down. Got lucky this time in the right place at the right time category :) A little cold to follow will seem almost like winter should have, lol. T

Seems like the models have waffled a bit about the upcoming cold shot but still going with what i said earlier. This is going to be a significant cold shot for this time of the year with us being only 8 days away from May. I think it may be possible for Atlanta GA to be flirting with a record low Tuesday morning. There record low for Tuesday is 34 degrees.

I'm just not seeing it. I sure hope I'm right.

Too bad its gonna happen

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

1159 AM EDT SUN APR 22 2012

NCZ060-061-TNZ012>018-035>047-067>074-081>087-098>102-VAZ001-002-

005-006-008-230000-

CHEROKEE-CLAY-SCOTT TN-CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-HANCOCK-HAWKINS-

SULLIVAN-JOHNSON-MORGAN-ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-

NORTHWEST COCKE-COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTHWEST GREENE-

SOUTHEAST GREENE-WASHINGTON TN-UNICOI-NORTHWEST CARTER-

SOUTHEAST CARTER-ROANE-LOUDON-KNOX-JEFFERSON-NW BLOUNT-

BLOUNT SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTH SEVIER-SEVIER SMOKY MOUNTAINS-

SEQUATCHIE-BLEDSOE-RHEA-MEIGS-MCMINN-NORTHWEST MONROE-

SOUTHEAST MONROE-MARION-HAMILTON-BRADLEY-WEST POLK-EAST POLK-LEE-

WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MURPHY...HAYESVILLE...ONEIDA...

LA FOLLETTE...TAZEWELL...SNEEDVILLE...ROGERSVILLE...KINGSPORT...

BRISTOL...MOUNTAIN CITY...WARTBURG...CLINTON...OAK RIDGE...

MAYNARDVILLE...RUTLEDGE...MORRISTOWN...NEWPORT...COSBY...

GREENEVILLE...CEDAR CREEK...JOHNSON CITY...ERWIN...ELIZABETHTON...

ROAN MOUNTAIN...KINGSTON...LENOIR CITY...KNOXVILLE...DANDRIDGE...

MARYVILLE...CADES COVE...SEVIERVILLE...GATLINBURG...DUNLAP...

PIKEVILLE...DAYTON...DECATUR...ATHENS...MADISONVILLE...

COKER CREEK...JASPER...CHATTANOOGA...CLEVELAND...BENTON...

DUCKTOWN...JONESVILLE...WISE...NORTON...GATE CITY...LEBANON...

ABINGDON

1159 AM EDT SUN APR 22 2012 /1059 AM CDT SUN APR 22 2012/

...STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS AND MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES TONIGHT THROUGH

TUESDAY...

A DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE NORTH UP THE ATLANTIC

COAST THIS EVENING AND INTO PENNSYLVANIA ON MONDAY. STRONG

NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP TONIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO EARLY

TUESDAY.

TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO WELL BELOW NORMAL WITH READINGS IN THE

30S COMMON BY MONDAY MORNING. WIND CHILL READINGS WILL BE AT OR

BELOW FREEZING AROUND DAYBREAK MONDAY. THE COLD TEMPERATURES WILL

CONTINUE WITH POSSIBLE FROST OR FREEZES BY TUESDAY

MORNING...ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND SOUTHWEST

VIRGINIA.

RAIN SHOWERS WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE HIGHER

ELEVATIONS OF SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND NORTHEAST TENNESSEE INCLUDING

THE SMOKYS TONIGHT. THE SNOW FALL WILL BE HEAVY AND MAY RESULT IN

SOME TREE DAMAGE. SOME ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED ABOVE 3000 FEET.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND OTHER LOCAL MEDIA FOR FURTHER

DETAILS OR UPDATES.

I wasn't really considering Virginia and the mountains of TN the valley. but ok it's possible those areas see a frost. I also certainly still don't see any "widespread heavy frost" in the forecast. I guess it's just a difference of opinion. Sure the highest elevations may see some issues but you typically don't have things that are vulnerable in the high terrain this time of year. I also have yet to see any frost or freeze warning from the NWS yet.

Knoxville is considered the valley....its very low elevated and so are alot of those cities...actually lower lying valleys will be most vulnerable FWIW

I agree Knoxville is the Tennessee Valley and I was considering that as part of it in my initial opine. We shall see but I doubt the temp goes low enough for long enough to cause issues. Again, I hope I'm right. I don't want to see a damaging frost/freeze, but honestly I don't think it's really even that close for Knoxville.

Tennessee Valley is in trouble for a widespread heavy frost

2012042206_EUS_GFS_SFC_TEMP_IMAGE_030.gif

I'm just not seeing it. I sure hope I'm right.

Too bad its gonna happen

I agree Knoxville is the Tennessee Valley and I was considering that as part of it in my initial opine. We shall see but I doubt the temp goes low enough for long enough to cause issues. Again, I hope I'm right. I don't want to see a damaging frost/freeze, but honestly I don't think it's really even that close for Knoxville.

Looks like we escaped the damaging cold in most places.

Folks,

By the way, three cheers for Doc, which picked up on this cold well before Goofy. Hip hip hooray!

Verification:

It worked out pretty well. Yesterday (4/23), indeed, saw KATL's coldest mean temp. since 3/6, the coldest high since 3/5, and the coldest anomaly for the mean since 2/12! The low of 43 was the coldest since 3/11. One has to go back to 3/6 to find a colder low than today's low of 42. Overall, this is an impressive and noteworthy late chilly snap.

Edit: KSAV's low of 40 and mean of 56 on 4/23 were the coldest since 3/6.

Archived