• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March National Wrap-up

In terms of standardized anomalies, the March 2012 anomaly was 2.918 standard deviations above the 1895-2012 mean. The only months that had higher standardized anomalies were October 1963 (3.035 sigma) and September 1998 (3.030 sigma). Statistically, a month with a high temperature anomaly of 2.918 sigma above the historic mean has the probability of occurring only once every 47 years. The probability of any single month e.g., March, having a warm anomaly of 2.918 sigma above the historic mean is about once every 568 years.

I wonder if March is one of the more "torch" prone months given variables at play. IOW, having an increased sun angle, vegetation still dormant overall, lack of snow pack, and dry soils seems like the best combo to allow March to torch..relative to other months. All these feedback processes probably worked together to get this extreme warmth.

I wonder if March is one of the more "torch" prone months given variables at play. IOW, having an increased sun angle, vegetation still dormant overall, lack of snow pack, and dry soils seems like the best combo to allow March to torch..relative to other months. All these feedback processes probably worked together to get this extreme warmth.

I think so. Don't like saying anything is impossible but these types of anomalies would be next to impossible in many other months.

We also beat the previous April to March twelve month record set back in 1999.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/

Archived