• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rare tornado in NE Mexico

Looks landspout-ish.

That's what I originally thought it was, but it's somewhat hard to discern in most of the footage. There appears to be a cloud lowering during the several times the camera pans up, but I don't know if that's connected to the actual funnel due to poor contrast and image quality. Also, at the end of the video, the debris cloud is pretty big, and it would take a really strong landspout to create that. Probably not impossible for a landspout to have that large of a debris cloud, but it's got me leaning more towards tornado.

Is it really that rare to get tornadoes in NE Mexico? Seems like a pretty favorable spot since it's east of the mountains, giving that region a nice wind profile (southerly veering to westerly) and an elevated mixed layer. There's abundant moisture from the Gulf too at low levels.

Maybe the cap simply doesn't break there often since the EML is too strong that far south?

Looks landspout-ish.

Crossed my mind too, but it looks that there was an actual mesocyclone, though it's difficult to know without a velocity radar signature.

That's what I originally thought it was, but it's somewhat hard to discern in most of the footage. There appears to be a cloud lowering during the several times the camera pans up, but I don't know if that's connected to the actual funnel due to poor contrast and image quality. Also, at the end of the video, the debris cloud is pretty big, and it would take a really strong landspout to create that. Probably not impossible for a landspout to have that large of a debris cloud, but it's got me leaning more towards tornado.

Convective activity was quite strong with this storm complex, actually forming an MCS near the border later yesterday. Unfortunately, MTY is not well covered by radar (there's no radar in MX that covers MTY :o ), so the only thing we have is 248NMI BRO radar. There were reports of hail from MTY to the lower Rio Grande Valley, with actual large hail observations in McAllen and surroundings.

post-29-0-16102700-1333125637.gif

Is it really that rare to get tornadoes in NE Mexico? Seems like a pretty favorable spot since it's east of the mountains, giving that region a nice wind profile (southerly veering to westerly) and an elevated mixed layer. There's abundant moisture from the Gulf too at low levels.

Maybe the cap simply doesn't break there often since the EML is too strong that far south?

It's not impossible but CAP is a b**ch down here...there are very few upper level disturbances this far south most of the time, though CAPE is commonly > 1500.

You can clearly see that frequency is quite low in this map, Laredo is in the white...and I'll assume in MTY is even less frequent, being farther SSW

post-29-0-15371900-1333125841.gif

I have oft complained of lack of a radar on the river between DFX and BRO. EWX and CRP are just too far away, if they're working, the LRD area is covered, but from quite a distance. When the radars are down, or, like EWX, getting the dula-pol upgrades, the coverage is spotty.

Juicy looking storms forming on the Serranias del Burro sometimes make it w/i range of the DFX radar, and are sometimes clearly supercellurar.

pagehead.gif

Archived