• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Is there a NYC weather site showing all its weather stations?

richisgame

I would like to be able to see the varying conditions, in real time, from each of NYC's various weather stations.

Ideally this site would have a zoomable map showing all NYC weather stations, each indicated by a temperature reading, or n/a, if station is inactive, (of course depending on the zoom level.)

While on this map, a "mouse over," (on each stations temperature), would reveal the basic conditions for that station, while clicking on it would bring you to that station's own page showing a comprehensive list of current conditions, along with links / tabs, to find out historical data for every reading / record, that station has ever recorded.

Is there anything out there even remotely like what I am looking for?!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Try weather.gov. This is the closest thing I can think of. Accuweather might have something similar but you have to pay for it.

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/okx.php

I would like to be able to see the varying conditions, in real time, from each of NYC's various weather stations.

Ideally this site would have a zoomable map showing all NYC weather stations, each indicated by a temperature reading, or n/a, if station is inactive, (of course depending on the zoom level.)

While on this map, a "mouse over," (on each stations temperature), would reveal the basic conditions for that station, while clicking on it would bring you to that station's own page showing a comprehensive list of current conditions, along with links / tabs, to find out historical data for every reading / record, that station has ever recorded.

Thanks to both of you for the links.

It's close to what I am looking for. The interfaces are a bit clunky.

What surprises me is at both sites there are only two stations in Brooklyn.

This can't possibly be right. I would think there are dozens.

Perhaps what I m looking for doesn't exist... Yet!

There's the Wundermap, which shows both personal stations as well as the official NWS stations. I'm not sure if you're looking for only official stations or any weather station around, but that seems similar to your description. The negative to this link though is that the unofficial stations mostly do not include cloud cover/precipitation intensity as well as snow amounts.

There's the Wundermap, which shows both personal stations as well as the official NWS stations. I'm not sure if you're looking for only official stations or any weather station around, but that seems similar to your description. The negative to this link though is that the unofficial stations mostly do not include cloud cover/precipitation intensity as well as snow amounts.

this is the source i usually use.

Thanks for the wundermap link.

Yet, even with the personal weather stations checked, there are only two sites in Brooklyn?!

I know weather.com has more stations because if I do a search by zip code, which I just did now, at 11:51pm, I got four different temperatures for different zips, from 44 - 47 degrees.

I would think there were dozens of personal stations in Brooklyn.

Aside from that, how can I find out how many official stations are there in Brooklyn, with comprehensive and historical data? Are there only the two I see on wundermap?!

Brooklyn has many stations. Try http://weather.weatherbug.com/NY/Brooklyn-weather/weather-station.html?zcode=z6286

Yet, even with the personal weather stations checked, there are only two sites in Brooklyn?!

I know weather.com has more stations because if I do a search by zip code, which I just did now, at 11:51pm, I got four different temperatures for different zips, from 44 - 47 degrees.

Aside from that, how can I find out how many official stations are there in Brooklyn, with comprehensive and historical data? Are there only the two I see on wundermap?!

Those are probobly just extrapolated temps from weather.com for those zip codes based on the nearest airport official site which can be many miles away(though they dont tell you that). As others said wunderground and weatherbug give you personal stations also... but you have to weed some out as they are not all properly exposed...alot of rooftop stations.

Ah, weatherbug is getting closer to what I am looking for! I would still think there would be more stations than that even, but much better.

Doncat, as to the info about weather.com extrapolating temps, that is a dark and dirty secret, if it's true.

How do you know that's true?

Also, how does one know how to weed out the the ones not properly exposed?

is the problem with rooftop stations that they are in the sun? And, should be in the shade?

Thanks to all!

There's alot of debate that goes on even with the official site like Central park or the airports. Certain sites run warmer or colder and can usually be attributed to their location. So these smaller stations at schools, etc are going to be even less reliable. Also there aren't many stations that keep accurate records going back further than 50 years or so. Central Park is 1869 but few go back that far.

Ah, weatherbug is getting closer to what I am looking for! I would still think there would be more stations than that even, but much better.

Doncat, as to the info about weather.com extrapolating temps, that is a dark and dirty secret, if it's true.

is the problem with rooftop stations that they are in the sun? And, should be in the shade?

Thanks to all!

Thanks to all!

As for the extrapolating temps... all the tv stations do it also. When they list all those small towns and give the temps most of them dont have weather stations so its just the nearest airport station in most cases. For instance on ch.7 they show the temp for my borough of Staten Island... its always the Newark temp that they show. Weather equipment situated on a rooftop is bound to have problems with rain catch due to high winds and temp problems particually on nights with light winds. As far as how do you know which stations are not accurate... well just compare them to the surrounding stations to see if their readings differ quite a bit... you can do this quite easily on wunderground. As you can see below thats where my station is.

I think Weather.com makes stuff up (I mean, guestimates) for their current obs.

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/raws_ca_monitor.cgi?rawsflag=290&state=OKX&type=0&orderby=e&day1=3&month1=1&year1=2012&hour1=21&timeobs=12

I like this since, even though its not a map, if you are familiar with the area then you get a good feel for whats going on. Plus it lists elevations and which Mesonet each one is a part of. Of course, still only 2 stations in Brooklyn... civic spirit must be low.

• 1 month later...

I have the Sheepshead Bay station. It is a Davis Vantage Vue. Unfortunately, the only place I could mount the sensors were on my roof (2 story pvt home peaked roof) I have the sensors mounted approx 5 feet above the roof surface. Easterly component winds tend to be low during leaf out season due to a large tree in that direction. I do have a backup rain guage (glass type) mounted in an open area of my back yard that I use to make sure the rooftop rain guage amounts are similar to. The closest weatherbug station is about 3 blocks west of me on top of St Edmunds Private school. Their sensors are up on the roof that is roughly the height of a 6 story apartment building.

Archived