• Member Statistics

    15,883
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    WeatherArbordoctor
    Newest Member
    WeatherArbordoctor
    Joined
MN Transplant

Our region's extreme run

Recommended Posts

On 4/16/2017 at 9:54 PM, RodneyS said:

Easter 2017 (April 16th)  did not establish an all-time high DC Easter maximum (95, set on April 18, 1976) nor an all-time high DC Easter minimum (66, set on April 6, 1947), but did tie the all-time high DC average Easter temperature with a maximum/minimum of 89/65 (average of 77.0), equal to the April 18, 1976 average (95/59).

April 29, 2017 one-upped Easter 2017 by breaking the all-time DC April minimum high temperature record of 69 set way back on April 19, 1896, with today's minimum of 70 at DCA.  Today's maximum of 91 there tied the April 29th DC record set in 1974, but fell well short of the all-time DC April maximum record of 95 set on April 27, 1915 and duplicated on April 23, 1960,  April 18, 1976, and April 17, 2002. However, today's average temperature of 80.5 also equaled the all-time DC April high average daily temperature record that was established on April 19,1896, which featured a maximum of 92 to go with the 69 minimum. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RodneyS said:

April 29, 2017 one-upped Easter 2017 by breaking the all-time DC April minimum high temperature record of 69 set way back on April 19, 1896, with today's minimum of 70 at DCA.  Today's maximum of 91 there tied the April 29th DC record set in 1974, but fell well short of the all-time DC April maximum record of 95 set on April 27, 1915 and duplicated on April 23, 1960,  April 18, 1975, and April 17, 2002. However, today's average temperature of 80.5 also equaled the all-time DC April high average daily temperature record that was established on April 19,1896, which featured a maximum of 92 to go with the 69 minimum. 

The new April DC high minimum of 70 set yesterday looks like it will be broken today, as the April 30, 2017 overnight low of 71 appears very likely to hold through midnight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2017 at 9:25 PM, RodneyS said:

Using National Weather Service temperature forecasts for the remainder of April results in DCA finishing with an average April 2017 temperature of 63.7 degrees. That would break the April 1994 DC high average record by 1.7 degrees.  Also, weighting the first four months of the year equally, January-April 2017 would average 50.2 degrees, breaking the January-April 2012 DC high average record by 0.2 degrees.

The NWS forecasts were pretty accurate, but the April 2017 DCA average wound up at 63.9 degrees, to break the DC record by 1.9 degrees.  The January-April 2017 average was the same as forecast, at 50.2 degrees, to break the DC record by 0.2 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RodneyS said:

The new April DC high minimum of 70 set yesterday looks like it will be broken today, as the April 30, 2017 overnight low of 71 appears very likely to hold through midnight. 

Didn't happen, as the Weather Channel hourly forecast for DCA was way off-base, with the temperature there falling to 66 by midnight.  So, April 29, 2017 remains the only April day in DC weather history to record a minimum of 70 or higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RodneyS said:

The NWS forecasts were pretty accurate, but the April 2017 DCA average wound up at 63.9 degrees, to break the DC record by 1.9 degrees.  The January-April 2017 average was the same as forecast, at 50.2 degrees, to break the DC record by 0.2 degrees. 

With the minimum touching 66 last night at DCA, the April 2017 average temperature there is corrected to 63.8, breaking the record by 1.8 degrees.  January-April 2017 average held at 50.2 degrees, to break the first four-months high temperature record by 0.2 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2017 at 9:36 PM, RodneyS said:

 However, today's average temperature of 80.5 also equaled the all-time DC April high average daily temperature record that was established on April 19,1896, which featured a maximum of 92 to go with the 69 minimum. 

In a May 1, 2017 Capital Weather Gang article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/05/01/washington-matched-records-for-the-warmest-most-humid-april-weather-this-weekend/?utm_term=.2d92d9f0a430), Jason Samenow notes that an average daily April temperature of 80.5 was also recorded in DC on April 20, 1941, with a maximum of 94 and a minimum of 67. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 9:08 AM, RodneyS said:

With the minimum touching 66 last night at DCA, the April 2017 average temperature there is corrected to 63.8, breaking the record by 1.8 degrees.  January-April 2017 average held at 50.2 degrees, to break the first four-months high temperature record by 0.2 degrees. 

May 2017 had the distinction of being the first month in exactly one year to be: (a) below the 1981-2010 DCA temperature normal, finishing with an average of 65.5 vs. the May normal of 66.0; and (b) above the 1981-2010 DCA precipitation normal, finishing with 5.55 inches (assuming no more this evening) vs. the May normal of 3.99 inches.  January-May 2017 monthly average temperature is 53.3, placing it second all-time in DC behind January-May 2012, which averaged 54.3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2012 at 9:56 PM, Ian said:

BWI record Oct daily rainfall from Sandy.

I believe that DCA's precipitation total yesterday (3.31 inches) was the 6th highest daily July amount in DC history (record is 4.69 inches on July 9, 1970), and is also the most daily precipitation at DCA since Sandy (3.85 inches on October 29, 2012, which by the way fell 0.13 inches short of the October DC record set on October 4, 1877).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 2017 at DCA finished with an average temperature of 81.7 degrees -- 12th warmest July of all-time in DC, but cooler than four of the previous seven.  DCA also recorded 9.15 inches of precipitation in July -- 7th most ever in DC for that month, and the most July precipitation since the 9.44 inches in 1969.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice stats Rodney! The precip in July is probably the only reason we didn't end up in the top 10 for heat. August is looking unimpressive so far in the heat dept. Would be nice to have a BN month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Nice stats Rodney! The precip in July is probably the only reason we didn't end up in the top 10 for heat. August is looking unimpressive so far in the heat dept. Would be nice to have a BN month.

 

compared to last year i feel like this summer has been very tame.  definitely worse out west it seems.  i could be wrong, but i don't think we've hit 100 yet and not too many upper 90s days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Nice stats Rodney! The precip in July is probably the only reason we didn't end up in the top 10 for heat. August is looking unimpressive so far in the heat dept. Would be nice to have a BN month.

I'd imagine that precip is the limiting factor for heat in most summer months: More rain/less heat v. less rain/more heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 87storms said:

 

compared to last year i feel like this summer has been very tame.  definitely worse out west it seems.  i could be wrong, but i don't think we've hit 100 yet and not too many upper 90s days.

Last summer was near-normal until late July, which kicked off the blowtorch that basically lasted until May this year (with a brief interruption in March).

But I agree- this summer, while above-average temp-wise, hasn't been impressive in the Big Heat dept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I'd imagine that precip is the limiting factor for heat in most summer months: More rain/less heat v. less rain/more heat.

Absolutely. What makes this July stand out it was it was really wet and still came in about +1-2 around the airports. If it was dry then it could have been much worse. Easy top 5 imho. The 6-7 days of the month averaged well below normal. Mostly because of the summer coastal. EJ is disappointed because of wasted potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2016 at 8:58 PM, RodneyS said:

Astronomical summer (June 21-September 23, on average) was record-setter at IAD (78.0 vs previous record of 76.8 in 2010) and second at DC/DCA (81.1 vs 81.7 in 1980).   Also, composite summer (June 1-September 23) was record-setter at both (IAD: 77.1 vs  previous record of 76.5 in 2010 and DC/DCA: 80.17 vs previous record of 80.14 in 2010).

The 2017 astronomical summer here was considerably cooler, despite the warm finish.  IAD averaged 73.5 degrees, down 4.5; and DCA averaged 77.6 degrees, down 3.5.  The IAD composite summer averaged 73.4 degrees, down 3.7; and DCA averaged 77.43 degrees, down 2.74.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DCA minimum yesterday (October 8th) was 75 -- by far the latest in the year that DC has had a minimum temperature that warm. The previous record-holder for a 75-degree or higher DC minimum late in the year was September 24th, when 75 was the minimum in 1970.  So, this year's was two weeks later than that. Similarly, at IAD, yesterday's 73-degree minimum eclipsed the record for a 73-degree or higher minimum there this late in the year.  The previous record-holder for a 73-degree or higher minimum there was September 9th, when 74 was the minimum last year.  So, this year's was 29 days later, although last year's still holds the record for a late 74-degree or higher minimum there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, RodneyS said:

The DCA minimum yesterday (October 8th) was 75 -- by far the latest in the year that DC has had a minimum temperature that warm. The previous record-holder for a 75-degree or higher DC minimum late in the year was September 24th, when 75 was the minimum in 1970.  So, this year's was two weeks later than that. Similarly, at IAD, yesterday's 73-degree minimum eclipsed the record for a 73-degree or higher minimum there this late in the year.  The previous record-holder for a 73-degree or higher minimum there was September 9th, when 74 was the minimum last year.  So, this year's was 29 days later, although last year's still holds the record for a late 74-degree or higher minimum there.

October 9, 2017 didn't quite equal the previous day in this area, but nonetheless established new record high minimums in both DC and at IAD for this late in the year.  At DCA, the minimum was 74 and at IAD was 69. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 9:27 AM, RodneyS said:

October 9, 2017 didn't quite equal the previous day in this area, but nonetheless established new record high minimums in both DC and at IAD for this late in the year.  At DCA, the minimum was 74 and at IAD was 69. 

For October 2017 as a whole, DCA averaged 64.9 degrees, good enough for the third warmest October all-time in DC, with October 2007 the warmest at 67.0 degrees and October 1984 the second warmest at 65.2 degrees.  At IAD, the average was 63.1 degrees, good enough for the second warmest October there, surpassed only by 2007 at 63.6 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

I love how we can put up a nearly all-time warmest month and barely notice it at this point.

Barely notice?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 9:20 AM, MN Transplant said:

I knew it was warm, but I had no idea we were top-3.

Same with me. It just felt like it was somewhat warm. I guess I'm just used to it now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2016 at 10:28 PM, RodneyS said:

2016 will be the new # 2 in DC, at 60.3 degrees (actually 60.4 if you compute the true 366-day average, rather than averaging the 12 monthly averages).  And IAD will also be #2 all-time, at 57.1 (vs. 57.9 in 2012).

Looks to be pretty much a done deal that 2017 will displace 2016 as second warmest in DC, despite the forecast of below normal December temperatures.  As long as the DCA December temperature lands in a range of 34.2-47.3 degrees, 2017 will average in a range of 60.4-61.4 degrees.  2012 will remain warmest at 61.5 degrees.  IAD also may finish 2017 as the second warmest, but that's more uncertain, as it would have to average between 34.3-43.5 degrees in December.  The December average temperature there might fall below 34.3 degrees, and thus 2017 would fail to displace 2016 as the second warmest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 11:20 AM, RodneyS said:

Looks to be pretty much a done deal that 2017 will displace 2016 as second warmest in DC, despite the forecast of below normal December temperatures.  As long as the DCA December temperature lands in a range of 34.2-47.3 degrees, 2017 will average in a range of 60.4-61.4 degrees.  2012 will remain warmest at 61.5 degrees.  IAD also may finish 2017 as the second warmest, but that's more uncertain, as it would have to average between 34.3-43.5 degrees in December.  The December average temperature there might fall below 34.3 degrees, and thus 2017 would fail to displace 2016 as the second warmest. 

December 2017 at DCA came in at 39.2 degrees (0.5 below the 1981-2010 normal), and 2017 averaged 60.8 degrees, displacing 2016 (60.3) as DC's second warmest annual average temperature, behind 2012 (61.5).  Similarly, December 2017 at IAD came in at 35.0 degrees (1.6 below the 1981-2010 normal), and 2017 averaged 57.2 degrees, again displacing 2016 (57.1) as IAD's second warmest annual average temperature, with 2012 again remaining the warmest (57.9).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dulles fell below zero this morning for the first time since February 24, 2015.  This morning's reading of -1 broke the record for January 7th of +1 that was set in 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As best as I can tell, the two weeks ending today at DCA are the coldest in nearly 24 years.  Specifically, December 26, 2017 through January 8, 2018 averaged 22.5 degrees, and I can't find a colder two-week period since January 10-23, 1994, which averaged 22.0 degrees.  That cold snap was highlighted by one of the coldest days in DC history-- January 19th -- which saw a maximum of + 8 and a minimum of -4, which was the last sub-zero reading at DCA.  Moreover, if only the most recent 13 days are considered (December 27th to January 8th), the average was only 21.6 degrees, which was lower than the coldest 13 days in January 1994 (21.8 average during January 11th through 23rd).  To find a colder 13 days than the most recent 13, you need to go back to December 15-27, 1989, which averaged 20.5 degrees.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RodneyS said:

As best as I can tell, the two weeks ending today at DCA are the coldest in nearly 24 years.  Specifically, December 26, 2017 through January 8, 2018 averaged 22.5 degrees, and I can't find a colder two-week period since January 10-23, 1994, which averaged 22.0 degrees.  That cold snap was highlighted by one of the coldest days in DC history-- January 19th -- which saw a maximum of + 8 and a minimum of -4, which was the last sub-zero reading at DCA.  Moreover, if only the most recent 13 days are considered (December 27th to January 8th), the average was only 21.6 degrees, which was lower than the coldest 13 days in January 1994 (21.8 average during January 11th through 23rd).  To find a colder 13 days than the most recent 13, you need to go back to December 15-27, 1989, which averaged 20.5 degrees.  

I just noted on the Capital Weather Gang discussion board that Kevin Benedict corrected one of my statements. The 13 days January 9-21, 1994 were slightly colder than the 13 days January 11-23, 1994 (21.2 vs. 21.8), and so our most recent 13 days came up 0.4 degrees shy of the coldest 13 consecutive days of January 1994. Also, January 9-22, 1994 averaged 21.6 degrees vs. 22.0 during January 10-23, 1994, and so our most recent 14 days came up 0.9 degrees shy of the coldest 14 consecutive days of January 1994.

It is interesting to note, however, that while we came up just shy of beating the 13- and 14-day January 1994 cold streaks, we did surpass the coldest 13-day streak of January 1977 (January 11-23), which averaged 21.9 degrees at DCA.  January 1977 was the 5th coldest January in DC history, at 25.4 degrees, compared with 28.8 degrees for January 1994, but it wasn't as intensely cold for any 13-day period.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.