• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
What I learned from the 2/19 snow event

eyewall

I'm just happy to we got to see some snow and my students were all happy today that what I told them on Friday came true, as well as a few teachers too! I very rarely post, unless it's in the OBS threads and just like to read and see what all of you have to say. I remember the old site and it's great to be able to have instant info on storms. It's nice to have this site to learn from :)

The euro did not do well for tennessee. It had the phase occurring too early, and was pouring the cold air in... suggesting major (for us) accumulations for all of middle tennessee.

It did puke snow for like 3 hours, but only the hilltops over 1000 feet got any accumulations. Which in some ways for me, is worse than it not snowing at all.

I just wanted to say briefly what I have learned from the 2/19/2012 snow event.

• Yes it can snow even in the worst of winters
  • I need to better separate emotion from meteorology and stick with what the science is telling me
  • Deformation bands in NC can always deliver in the end
  • Weather4NC was right about me getting another video of great snow rates
  • I love miller A storms!

That is all,

Jeremy

Bravo!!!

Clarification...on grassy and elevated surfaces yes, on roads it's more difficult. Look at Eyewall's video in Chapel Hill....awesome rates but roads looked fine and cars were driving on wet streets (probably some slush). I'm talking about when the temp is 32 and above. To get EVERTHING covered in white, I still think you've got to have temps 31 and below or high rates for a real long time.

Everything here got covered in white, and the snow didn't last that long. . . .

Archived