• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Season Snowfall Totals By ENSO

Chicago WX

Since there was talk of which state of ENSO was good for winter in another thread, I thought I'd throw this chart up.

Season snowfall totals for several cities, separated by DJF ENSO according to the Climate Prediction Center: http://www.cpc.ncep....ensoyears.shtml

Green highlighted boxes indicate an above average season, based off the average snowfall from 1949-50 to 2010-11 (bottom row, highlighted in orange).

Awesome work as usual Tim!!!!! I was just thinking I was going to have to do this for Detroit, and you did it for me, not to mention along with other sites. Interesting that since 1950 the lowest Nina snowfall Detroit has had was 27.3" (1954-55), whereas Nino and Neutral have had a few sub-20" stinkers. DTW is at 21.6" so far and I think that Nina low of 27.3" will stay put....see quite a few good Marches in there!

Awesome work as usual Tim!!!!! I was just thinking I was going to have to do this for Detroit, and you did it for me, not to mention along with other sites. Interesting that since 1950 the lowest Nina snowfall Detroit has had was 27.3" (1954-55), whereas Nino and Neutral have had a few sub-20" stinkers. DTW is at 21.6" so far and I think that Nina low of 27.3" will stay put....see quite a few good Marches in there!

As mentioned before the ninas of the 40s and 50s basically blew chunks. I think the worst nina for the region as a whole was that 1948/49. Thus the winter when alot of futility records were set in this region. A very active sun ( Solar ) though has been seen in alot of our worst winters ever while a quieter sun has been seen in alot of our more active cold and snowy winters regardless of enso. You can see that in the 40s/50s/90s with futility ( very active solar/sun ) and then again with very snowy and or cold ( low/very little solar activity ) in the late 1890s/early 1900s/70s/past 5yrs or so. While the sun has been more active this winter it is still not even in the same ballpark with the 40s/50s/90s.. YES they had lower solar times too but nothing close to what we have had and well still do. Why again i scratch my head when i see people using any of those years for analogs. Even the 70s are questionable as that low solar period was not nearly as quiet as this one has been. For those though who refuse to look prior to 1950 ( when using analogs ) the 70s though is the closest we have which again is not saying much.

Great work Tim. Nina/Nino dichotomy in snowfall works out as expected. I'm actually surprised how ineffectual Nina is compared to Nada winters in a number of those locations (ORD/LSE/MKE). There's some spatial relationship between those three cities, but to postulate that La Nina causes slightly lower snowfall in the western Lakes sorta goes against the grain as far as our (or maybe it's just "my") understanding of Nina climo.

Interesting, nice work man. I would have liked it if you used the MEI scale but it doesn't matter since 2008-09 was an official La Nina.

Hey if you have time, could you get a rough analysis of the temperature departures from normal. And I'm not asking you to do individual departures by city, that would be too hard, just a rough idea. Thanks!

Seems like we win out in La Nina's more than Nino's which was obvious IMO lol.

Where do you find the seasonal totals for the cities?

I have totals for 14 cities in this thread: http://www.americanw...nowfall-totals/

Otherwise, just a lot of searching...many of them found via the local NWS sites or state climatologist sites. If you're looking for anything specific, let me know and hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

I have totals for 14 cities in this thread: http://www.americanw...nowfall-totals/

Otherwise, just a lot of searching...many of them found via the local NWS sites or state climatologist sites. If you're looking for anything specific, let me know and hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the info, I am looking for totals for Duluth, MN.

IF you ever get the time i would love to see something like this done for solar. I know that reliable data goes way back ( 1700s ) and a number of the cities have stuff back to the 1890s anyways and some even further.

Again nice work with this thread!

Thanks for the info, I am looking for totals for Duluth, MN.

You can find monthly totals (and snow depth) at the link below.

http://climate.umn.e...dius/radius.asp

The station you want to use is: 212248 DULUTH WSO AP (use the set location button, which jumps to a map of MN. It's clickable/zoomable.)

There's some data going back to1857 for Duluth, but the consistent record starts in 1884.

IF you ever get the time i would love to see something like this done for solar. I know that reliable data goes way back ( 1700s ) and a number of the cities have stuff back to the 1890s anyways and some even further.

Again nice work with this thread!

Good idea. I'm always up for different ways of looking at snowfall relationships. I'll put that one down for a future project.

You can find monthly totals (and snow depth) at the link below.

http://climate.umn.e...dius/radius.asp

The station you want to use is: 212248 DULUTH WSO AP (use the set location button, which jumps to a map of MN. It's clickable/zoomable.)

There's some data going back to1857 for Duluth, but the consistent record starts in 1884.

Thank you. Greak link!

Archived