• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Historic Midwest/Lakes Season Snowfall Totals

Chicago WX

Josh's recent thread about season snowfall for Chicago, Detroit, Lansing, and Milwaukee reminded me that I had put together a spreadsheet of season snowfall totals for several sites across the Midwest/Lakes awhile ago. Of course I recently figured out how to make them into images, so I thought I would share it here. I decided to start with 1880-81 even though there was data prior to that for Lansing and the downtown Toronto location (thanks goes out to Mike for the Toronto data)...though not every site listed below has data going back to 1880-81. In the future, I hope to find more longterm snowfall data for other MW/Lakes/OV sites and add them here when I get them.

List of the cities and the abbreviations I used: Chicago IL (CHI), Columbia MO (COL), Detroit MI (DET), Grand Rapids MI (GRR), Green Bay WI (GRB), Kansas City MO (KC), LaCrosse WI (LSE), Lansing MI (LAN), Madison WI (MSN), Milwaukee WI (MIL), Minneapolis MN (MIN), Rockford IL (RFD), St. Louis MO (STL), and Toronto ON Downtown site (TOR). All data from NWS sites, state climatologist sites, and/or from members of AMEX. And yes the 1884-85 Milwaukee snowfall looks suspect. ;)

Since 1880-81, here are the season high snowfall totals for each site...in descending order of when they occurred.

Madison WI: 101.4" in 2007-08

Minneapolis MN: 98.6" in 1983-84

Chicago IL: 89.7" in 1978-79

Rockford IL: 74.5" in 1978-79

Columbia MO: 54.8" in 1977-78

LaCrosse WI: 78.7" in 1961-62

Grand Rapids MI: 132.0" in 1951-52

Kansas City MO: 67.0" in 1911-12

St. Louis MO: 67.6" in 1911-12

Green Bay WI: 147.7" in 1887-88

Milwaukee WI: 109.8" in 1885-86

Toronto ON: 92.5" in 1882-83

Detroit MI: 93.6" in 1880-81

Lansing MI: 97.2" in 1880-81

AWESOME JOB!!! I, like you, have a fascination for snowfall data, so this is a VERY informative thread when needing to look something up! How do you turn things into pictures on here btw?

One correction for Detroit centered on the 1996-1997 timeframe, when for WHATEVER reason snowfall data was missing/sketchy.

1995-96: 27.6" not 23.9" (the dtx website lists Feb as M but it was 3.6", and Apr as M but it was 0.1")

1996-97: M (DTW did not do snowfall measurments for some reason that season. I think the NWS in White Lake was used for "Detroit" snow totals on the news and stuff, but that would give the area an inflated number as White Lake averages some 15" more. Personally, Id estimate the snowfall at 40" for DTW that winter, right around the longterm avg).

1997-98: 23.4" not 23.3" (the dtx website lists Oct as M but it was 0.1").

Again...AWESOME job :thumbsup:

AWESOME JOB!!! I, like you, have a fascination for snowfall data, so this is a VERY informative thread when needing to look something up! How do you turn things into pictures on here btw?

One correction for Detroit centered on the 1996-1997 timeframe, when for WHATEVER reason snowfall data was missing/sketchy.

1995-96: 27.6" not 23.9" (the dtx website lists Feb as M but it was 3.6", and Apr as M but it was 0.1")

1996-97: M (DTW did not do snowfall measurments for some reason that season. I think the NWS in White Lake was used for "Detroit" snow totals on the news and stuff, but that would give the area an inflated number as White Lake averages some 15" more. Personally, Id estimate the snowfall at 40" for DTW that winter, right around the longterm avg).

1997-98: 23.4" not 23.3" (the dtx website lists Oct as M but it was 0.1").

Again...AWESOME job :thumbsup:

Thanks. I used the Mac equivalent of Excel and then create a PDF then a PNG or JPEG image. For whatever reason, it took me awhile to figure it out. <_<

And thanks for the corrections about the DTW snowfall. I'll make the necessary changes in a bit.

• 11 months later...

I actually have a chart now that has 42 Midwest/Lakes/OV sites with season snowfall totals.

Just have to figure out how to post it (file size issues, etc). :lol:

You know what would be nice though, if this board had a sub-forum for historical climatological stats for numerous sites in the U.S. Would make for easier access and what not.

Archived