• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season Snowfall...2011-12 vs 2010-11 Thru Feb 6th

Chicago WX

Season snowfall totals through February 6th, for this winter versus last winter. The obvious is well...obvious. Regardless, quite a difference from this season compared to last at that point. Experience the carnage below. Bonus points to those who "get" the topic description phrase.

1981-10 normal season snowfall through February 6th in the first column (1971-00 for YYZ and YXU).

Last column is difference from this season compared to last, through February 6th.

Season snowfall totals through February 6th, for this winter versus last winter. The obvious is well...obvious. Regardless, quite a difference from this season compared to last at that point. Experience the carnage below. Bonus points to those who "get" the topic description phrase.

1981-10 normal season snowfall through February 6th in the first column (1971-00 for YYZ and YXU).

Last column is difference from this season compared to last, through February 6th.

Thanks! I always enjoy reading your posts. I appreciate all the work you put into making these posts.

Thanks for the table. Definitely illustrates not only the large departures this season, but also how much of an area is experiencing them. I haven't looked at the eastern US much, but I'm guessing many areas out there have similar departures. Just astounding.

Well the departures for this winter aren't good in many places. But on the other hand, the + departures last winter to date were quite astounding in a good chunk of the region. Really, more impressive than this year's negative numbers IMO. Trying to put a positive spin on things I guess. :lol:

As usual, awesome work. Detroit is down from 43.0" to 15.6", but post-Feb 6th last winter we still saw another 26.1" of snow! I would KILL to add 2 feet to our total this year lol.

Snowcover comparisons are really crazy:

Snowcover days through Feb 7th at DTW

.................1"+...........3"+...........5"+.........10"+........12"+

2010-11......53...........45............38..............6.............5

2011-12......14.............3..............0..............0.............0

Feb 7, 2011 snow depth: 15"

Feb 7, 2012 snow depth: 0

Where is my time machine!?

Cool thread Chicago! This time last year here I was at 66.7" for the season; 16.0" now, so -50.7". Makes this winter seem even worse! lol

Here is a cummulative chart of the past 4 winters snowfall and the progress this winter so far - that I have made in excel.

401243_3246509288527_1440765701_3146230_690661910_n.jpg

D1 = Nov. 15th.

D17 = Dec. 1st.

D48 = Jan. 1st

D79 = Feb. 1st

D108 = Mar. 1st

D138 = Apr. 1st

As for the total accumulations there should be a event table where one could see the average snow total per system. This way the numbers cant be skued with a few major systems during the winter season. Here at home I have loged 15 events in my plow log book. All but one were a chemicial plow(salt) with the most accumulating of 1.75" a few weeks ago.

Now thinking about it snowfall comparisons shown above are vary close to my log book data.....

As for the total accumulations there should be a event table where one could see the average snow total per system. This way the numbers cant be skued with a few major systems during the winter season. Here at home I have loged 15 events in my plow log book. All but one were a chemicial plow(salt) with the most accumulating of 1.75" a few weeks ago.

Now thinking about it snowfall comparisons shown above are vary close to my log book data.....

Welcome Daff!

I keep a record of snowfall events too in excel. Have been for 14 years. I don't plow or salt, except my own driveway, but it is fun to keep track of snowfall events!

Geos the thing I thought was the most interesting about the above graph was the spike in snow amounts from day 75-92 on three of the four other seasons. Best of all this is day 86 which falls into the spike area. Bad news is that this is the make it or break in era of winter. A few more weeks and its more less all over but the singing from you know who....

Geos the thing I thought was the most interesting about the above graph was the spike in snow amounts from day 75-92 on three of the four other seasons. Best of all this is day 86 which falls into the spike area. Bad news is that this is the make it or break in era of winter. A few more weeks and its more less all over but the singing from you know who....

Most of biggest snowstorms in recent winters have been between Jan 15-Feb 15th. The chart starts at Nov. 15th and goes through April 20th. It is definitely make it or break it time. We did have that one big storm in March of 2008, which just added more to an already snowy winter!

D17 = Dec. 1st.

D48 = Jan. 1st

D79 = Feb. 1st

D108 = Mar. 1st

D138 = Apr. 1st

Archived