• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Cool New Free Excel Based Forecasting Tool

Hi all,

A friend of mine just built what I think is a great little tool to throw on your desktop and add to your toolkit if you have Excel. I think a lot of folks here will find some good use from this. It's a forecast sheet that looks like this:

FrcstSheet1.jpg

Basically it fetches a bunch of BUFKIT and MOS data, including GFS ensemble data and imports it into a tidy little (ok, not terribly small) Excel sheet (Note that it will not work with any of the open source programs that are similar to Excel, such as Open Office), so if you're looking to get a lot of info in one window, this will do it. I think there's a good amount of use for this, especially since it's right off the desktop and fetches most MOS data you'd ever need + a good amount of other info. It also has charts/graphs for temps and precip and more built in. The author is very accessible and looking for feedback or tweaks as well, so don't hesitate to contact her.

You can download it here: http://www.txtornado.net/Worksheet.html

Looks really neat, but when I click load data, it goes through, and tried to get data, but I get a run time error 1004.

Hmmm. Not sure what that's about. I sent you a private message. (Wont be responding again until tomorrow though.)

I can't get PSU to work so I switched to ISU and get "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch" with no option to debug or continue, just end or help. This looks like it could be a neat Excel application, I just wish I could get it to run. If it matters, I am using KGRR as my site and was loading the 2/3/12 6Z data.

I can't get PSU to work so I switched to ISU and get "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch" with no option to debug or continue, just end or help. This looks like it could be a neat Excel application, I just wish I could get it to run. If it matters, I am using KGRR as my site and was loading the 2/3/12 6Z data.

I was able to duplicate this using the ISU server. I know what the problem is, but I have to get to work, and wont be able to fix it until later this afternoon. Not sure why PSU wouldnt work for you? I just used it, maybe it was temporarily down earlier.

Wow this is really cool!!! Excellent work!

I was able to duplicate this using the ISU server. I know what the problem is, but I have to get to work, and wont be able to fix it until later this afternoon. Not sure why PSU wouldnt work for you? I just used it, maybe it was temporarily down earlier.

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely amazing!

I ran it through Excel 2003 with the macro security settings on "low" and just hit OK when the PSU FTP window popped up. I got the same Error:1004 on the ISU site but WOW!!!

I am going to share this with my friends here at Millersville!

Awesome work!

V_2.2 and for whatever reason when I restarted the Excel, now it works. :wacko:

Hmmm. Weird. There has at times been issues wih the ISU server not liking when you re run the program...it acts like it didnt close a previous connection, so doesnt know what ti do. Even then tho, it just hangs on the connecting boxes and doesnt actually crash.

Glad its working for you though!

Hmmm. Weird. There has at times been issues wih the ISU server not liking when you re run the program...it acts like it didnt close a previous connection, so doesnt know what ti do. Even then tho, it just hangs on the connecting boxes and doesnt actually crash.

Glad its working for you though!

I had that issue before with an FTP error from Penn State-I just restarted the Excel file and it worked again. I wouldn't really worry about it. :)

Oh my gosh, this is absolutely amazing!

I ran it through Excel 2003 with the macro security settings on "low" and just hit OK when the PSU FTP window popped up. I got the same Error:1004 on the ISU site but WOW!!!

I am going to share this with my friends here at Millersville!

Awesome work!

I have Excel 2003 too. I couldn't get it to work. For some reason I was unable to plug in the airport code or any data.

I have Excel 2003 too. I couldn't get it to work. For some reason I was unable to plug in the airport code or any data.

My best guess is that you haven't lowered your macro security? I believe in Excel 2003, you go under File ->Options -> Security Options -> Macro Security. But I could be wrong.

If its not a macro setting issue send me a private message and we can try to figure it out.

My best guess is that you haven't lowered your macro security? I believe in Excel 2003, you go under File ->Options -> Security Options -> Macro Security. But I could be wrong.

If its not a macro setting issue send me a private message and we can try to figure it out.

Oh, nice. Thanks. Much help.

For 2003, go straight to Tools then Macro then Security

What a great program. Thanks so much!

Archived