• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Winter Weather

wisconsinwx

Winter weather advisories have gone up just to my west this morning. Temperature has slowly risen, currently 26°, with light fog. Expected to really turn foggy near the lake later.

Mainly for freezing rain:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

808 AM CST SUN JAN 22 2012

...FREEZING DRIZZLE STARTING TO PUT DOWN A GLAZE...

.FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA THIS

MORNING AND BECOME WIDESPREAD. THE FREEZING DRIZZLE MAY THEN

TRANSITION TO LIGHT FREEZING RAIN THIS AFTERNOON IN AREAS NORTH OF

INTERSTATE 80. SOME ICING IS LIKELY ON UNTREATED ROADS...SIDEWALKS...AND

OTHER EXPOSED SURFACES. MOTORISTS SHOULD ANTICIPATE SLIPPERY

TRAVEL...ALLOWING FOR EXTRA STOPPING DISTANCES AND TIME TO REACH

THEIR DESTINATIONS. PEDESTRIANS SHOULD ALSO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

ICY SIDEWALKS.

IAZ040>042-051>054-063>068-076>078-087>089-098-099-ILZ001-002-007-

009-015>018-024>026-034-035-MOZ009-010-230000-

/O.NEW.KDVN.ZR.Y.0001.120122T1408Z-120123T0000Z/

BUCHANAN-DELAWARE-DUBUQUE-BENTON-LINN-JONES-JACKSON-IOWA-JOHNSON-

CEDAR-CLINTON-MUSCATINE-SCOTT-KEOKUK-WASHINGTON-LOUISA-JEFFERSON-

HENRY IA-DES MOINES-VAN BUREN-LEE-JO DAVIESS-STEPHENSON-CARROLL-

WHITESIDE-ROCK ISLAND-HENRY IL-BUREAU-PUTNAM-MERCER-HENDERSON-

WARREN-HANCOCK-MCDONOUGH-SCOTLAND-CLARK-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...INDEPENDENCE...MANCHESTER...DUBUQUE...

VINTON...CEDAR RAPIDS...ANAMOSA...MAQUOKETA...MARENGO...

IOWA CITY...TIPTON...CLINTON...MUSCATINE...BETTENDORF...

DAVENPORT...SIGOURNEY...WASHINGTON...WAPELLO...FAIRFIELD...

MOUNT PLEASANT...BURLINGTON...KEOSAUQUA....FORT MADISON...

GALENA...FREEPORT...MOUNT CARROLL...STERLING...ROCK FALLS...

MOLINE...ROCK ISLAND...KEWANEE...PRINCETON...HENNEPIN...ALEDO...

OQUAWKA...MONMOUTH...CARTHAGE...MACOMB...MEMPHIS...KAHOKA

808 AM CST SUN JAN 22 2012

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN QUAD CITIES HAS ISSUED A FREEZING

RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING.

* FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CONTINUE THIS MORNING AND BECOME MORE

WIDESPREAD AS THE DAY PROGRESSES. THE FREEZING DRIZZLE MAY THEN

TRANSITION TO MORE OF A LIGHT FREEZING RAIN IN AREAS NORTH OF

INTERSTATE 80 THIS AFTERNOON.

* UP TO 1/10 OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE ON EXPOSED

AND UNTREATED SURFACES.

* TRAVEL COULD BECOME HAZARDOUS AS THE DAY PROGRESSES...WITH ICY

SPOTS DEVELOPING ON SOME ROADWAYS...PARKING LOTS...SIDEWALKS AND

OTHER EXPOSED SURFACES. MOTORISTS SHOULD ANTICIPATE SLIPPERY

TRAVEL...ALLOWING FOR EXTRA STOPPING DISTANCES AND TIME TO REACH

THEIR DESTINATIONS.

Winter weather advisories have gone up just to my west this morning. Temperature has slowly risen, currently 26°, with light fog. Expected to really turn foggy near the lake later.

Mainly for freezing rain:

Just looked at the 12z NAM and GFS; both are indicating the main precip band pushing through; must have trended a bit west. It'd be quite interesting (and perhaps scary) if surface temps remained at or below freezing. Unlikely to happen, but close to a really messy situation.

If I was MKX I wouldn't be so certain that the region would not be seeing significant freezing rain. Temps seem to be slower to rise this afternoon than progged (still mid 20s in many cities away from the lake), and with many models bringing in significant moisture overnight, it is something to consider.

If I was MKX I wouldn't be so certain that the region would not be seeing significant freezing rain. Temps seem to be slower to rise this afternoon than progged (still mid 20s in many cities away from the lake), and with many models bringing in significant moisture overnight, it is something to consider.

Still 28° here. Is/was supposed to be 34° at 3pm - don't think it will make that until 5pm or later. Snowpack is definitely hindering the warming. I could see freezing rain being a problem later just inland from the lake.

Still 28° here. Is/was supposed to be 34° at 3pm - don't think it will make that until 5pm or later. Snowpack is definitely hindering the warming. I could see freezing rain being a problem later just inland from the lake.

Just looked at the 17z RUC; it indicated the heaviest precip coming in around 15-17 hours from then, basically just after midnight. It indicated precip type as rain, but we'll have to see what ends up happening. The models have been a little too warm if anything recently, so this could be another situation like that.

NWS has a watch up for Houghton county east. The counties to the SW are not included. So it looks like we are on the edge. Read the morning forecast discussion looking like Central UP will get the heavist accum. Nothing new there. That has been the trend with these synoptic systems the last few years.

For Houghton I would prefer the storms that move into arctic air with prolonged East winds. Some of the most incredible LES events are from E to ENE winds in the Keweenaw. This storm will not do it unfortunately. I don't know what it is about the Keweenaw but the bullseye of storm are typically to the just to the SE in Baraga to Marquette or to the west in Duluth.

I think this storm does look like a good 4"- 6" maybe 8" if things are strong enough.

Good Luck. Wish I was up there tonight for the fun!!

We've been put under a winter weather advisory for the freezing drizzle/fog until 8 pm this evening.

29 °F at MSN, 28 °F on top of the met building, and constant drizzle. Will be interesting to see what happens as the real precip begins tonight after 6 pm or so. I'm also wondering if we'll ever get above freezing.

Also, HRRR shows freezing drizzle intensifying over the next couple of hours.

30 °F at MSN, 29.4 °F on top of the met building. How long we hold onto this freezing layer determines how bad the impacts get. GFS says it gets wiped out by 7 pm, while the NAM says it holds around all night and morning and we get over 0.1" of ice.

Considering the strength of this system & warm air I would guess the GFS is right. All the years I have followed storm in these parts it seem warm air wins the battle in storms like this (i.e. when the surface low is to your west & it is not slamming into a massive 1035+MB arctic high).

Considering the strength of this system & warm air I would guess the GFS is right. All the years I have followed storm in these parts it seem warm air wins the battle in storms like this (i.e. when the surface low is to your west & it is not slamming into a massive 1035+MB arctic high).

Yeah I agree. Temperature has risen to 29.7 °F on top of the met building, it's been a slow warm up but it isn't stopping.

Dangerously slippery sidewalks around where I live, the more well traveled areas next to campus aren't that bad. Things could get worse if the freezing layer sticks around as more substantial precip moves in, that's the question at this point.

Archived