• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Meteorologists should be given credit when they are right!

FreshAJ

Just for kicks, I did a Twitter search yesterday evening and typed in the keyword “meteorologist.” And I saw at least 10 tweets that said they wish they could be a ‘meteorologist’ so they could get paid to be “wrong”. And the next set of tweets I saw were showing how many people were blaming their local TV meteorologist for how lousy their forecast was.

Many people are quick to point the finger when the forecast is wrong, but rarely give credit when the forecast was right. In fact, I didn’t see any tweets commending their local weatherman or their local NWS meteorologist for nailing the forecast. I believe that meteorologists should be given credit when they are right....

To read the full post, please go here: http://www.freshaj.com/meteorologists-should-be-given-credit-when-they-are-right

Would love to hear your thoughts, too!

Thanks,

AJ

Just for kicks, I did a Twitter search yesterday evening and typed in the keyword “meteorologist.”  And I saw at least 10 tweets that said they wish they could be a ‘meteorologist’ so they could get paid to be “wrong”. And the next set of tweets I saw were showing how many people were blaming their local TV meteorologist for how lousy their forecast was.

Many people are quick to point the finger when the forecast is wrong, but rarely give credit when the forecast was right.  In fact, I didn’t see any tweets commending their local weatherman or their local NWS meteorologist for nailing the forecast.   I believe that meteorologists should be given credit when they are right....

To read the full post, please go here:  http://www.freshaj.c...-they-are-right

Thanks,

AJ

Many folks work in occupations were they only hear complaints when they are wrong including me, part of the job, self satisfaction is enough.

I think most people realize meteorologist are right more often than they are wrong. Otherwise you wouldn't see them on TV anymore. It's just been the prevailing stereotype through the years...and one based in fact actually when meteorologist were wrong more often than they were right. It's just those times when folks are affected personally (ie: their backyard didn't get the 5 inches of snow) that they start to question the accuracy of meteorologists without looking at the bigger picture.

Absolutely. It is human nature to focus on the negative. Overall, most folks in their jobs don't receive validation on a daily basis because they are expected to do a great job each day. And at the same time, meteorologists don't need to receive validation every time when they are right.

But I feel like for the cases when there is anticipation of "severe weather", there should be some "credit" given if the meteorologist is accurate per my definition. Especially when they have potentially saved lives. That's my point.

Best,

AJ

it seems to be human nature to focus on the negative. I've worked other jobs...dunkin donuts...pharmacy technician...I'm right and do an excellent the job the vast majority of the time...but you don't hear much about it...you make a mistake and the public is on you like white on rice.

Absolutely. It is human nature to focus on the negative. Overall, most folks in their jobs don't receive validation on a daily basis because they are expected to do a great job each day. And at the same time, meteorologists don't need to receive validation every time when they are right.

But I feel like for the cases when there is anticipation of "severe weather", there should be some "credit" given if the meteorologist is accurate per my definition. Especially when they have potentially saved lives. That's my point.

Best,

AJ

In the NWS, there is. We receive awards and cash bonuses for working high impact events. Also...management is very good in thanking us for working OT and long duration events. I don't need validation from anyone else.

In the NWS, there is. We receive awards and cash bonuses for working high impact events. Also...management is very good in thanking us for working OT and long duration events. I don't need validation from anyone else.

I never felt under appreciated. People like to complain when things don't go as expected no matter what the profession.

I agree with the OP. I think what he was trying to get at here was the incorrect assumptions many folks make of meteorologists and weather forecasting in general, not a lack of appreciation. In fact, it could be argued that the more the public perception of meteorology in general becomes warped, the harder it will be to receive funding for various things such as satellites, numerical modeling, etc.

it seems to be human nature to focus on the negative. I've worked other jobs...dunkin donuts...pharmacy technician...I'm right and do an excellent the job the vast majority of the time...but you don't hear much about it...you make a mistake and the public is on you like white on rice.

It happens a lot with most any job. People always complain but very rarely is there anything positive. Just the way it is I guess.

Archived