• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
winter 1979-1980

I was checking some old data on the Environment canada site and found myself looking at obs from December 1979 in both Toronto and Ottawa. What a miserable month! Toronto and Ottawa both saw almost two inches of rain on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day after having had a 6" snowstorm on the 15th! How many people here can remember that winter? I've read there were concerns for the winter olympics that year due to lack of snow.

I was checking some old data on the Environment canada site and found myself looking at obs from December 1979 in both Toronto and Ottawa. What a miserable month! Toronto and Ottawa both saw almost two inches of rain on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day after having had a 6" snowstorm on the 15th! How many people here can remember that winter? I've read there were concerns for the winter olympics that year due to lack of snow.

I remember it well...

I was pretty sure I knew what winter weather was all about as a young'n. I witnessed the New England Blizzard of '78 (still my fave event ever)

We had a good sized October snow here in 1979.

Windsor Locks tornado was in 1979...

Winter 1979-1980 punished me for my insolence

I remember it well...

I was pretty sure I knew what winter weather was all about as a young'n. I witnessed the New England Blizzard of '78 (still my fave event ever)

We had a good sized October snow here in 1979.

Windsor Locks tornado was in 1979...

Winter 1979-1980 punished me for my insolence

Yes, so much for people who say that all winters back then had snow piled several feet high. They probably had flooded basements to greet Santa that Christmas Eve in southern and eastern Ontario!

I was living in the Niagara area of southern Ontario at the time.. (great place to be during those late 70 winters!) I remember being disappointed by all the rain on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.. (we hit 11C on the 24th) then for awhile, the rain starting mixing with big snowflakes on the 25th. We were all hoping it would transition to a nice heavy snowfall for a nice white Christmas, but it never did. Just changed back to rain and it was a wet, not white Christmas that year. Colder weather and a little more snow did return by February in time for the Olympics in Lake Placid (do you believe in miracles.. yes!)

After those brutal late 70 winters, the winter of 79-80 was a definite change to milder weather and less snowfall. In fact, after that winter.. the winters in Niagara were never as harsh as the late 70s... the ones that all future winters would forever be compared to.. (especially '76-77!)

it was the 19th least snowiest winter out of 142 for NYC...Christmas was mild in NY...It got two snowfalls less than 4" on 12/19 and early January...February had two snowfalls that changed to rain...March had the biggest storm with a wet 5" snowfall...Temperatures were close to normal...

I was living in the Niagara area of southern Ontario at the time.. (great place to be during those late 70 winters!) I remember being disappointed by all the rain on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.. (we hit 11C on the 24th) then for awhile, the rain starting mixing with big snowflakes on the 25th. We were all hoping it would transition to a nice heavy snowfall for a nice white Christmas, but it never did. Just changed back to rain and it was a wet, not white Christmas that year. Colder weather and a little more snow did return by February in time for the Olympics in Lake Placid (do you believe in miracles.. yes!)

After those brutal late 70 winters, the winter of 79-80 was a definite change to milder weather and less snowfall. In fact, after that winter.. the winters in Niagara were never as harsh as the late 70s... the ones that all future winters would forever be compared to.. (especially '76-77!)

And yet the following winter was brutally cold with the coldest recorded Christmas morning.

According to the data, Ottawa did briefly turn over to a period of moderate snow.

Archived