Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5 year anniversary of the 11/30-12/01/06 Winter Storm

Thundersnow12

Nice thread!

I wasn't around for all those events, but I'm enjoy reading about them!

The storm 5 years ago slammed Lake County good. Had a solid 14" from that storm.

It ended a 8 day streak of temps in the 50s to near 60. It snowed so hard that the ground temperature didn't even matter!

I can't believe that was 5 years ago...that was the first snowstorm I really tracked. After the miserable final 2/3rds of 05-06, I was desperate for snow and that sure hit the spot. I remember driving to swim team practice and seeing flashes of lightning. It was probably the hardest snow rates I have ever seen, especially with wet snow.

Awesome storm here. Backed in from the east and dumped 10-11" of snow. Went from not a flake to be seen to heavy snow in a very short time. 18" was reported southeast of here in Princeton.

I spent some time and loaded a bunch of archived radar images into GR2AE and strung them all together in movie maker. Here's a 9hr loop from DVN. You can see the extreme cutoff on the western edge. Watch full screen for best viewing (although youtube really lowers overall vid quality)

I hated that thing...it looked like it was going to clobber me 2-3 days out but then it trended significantly NW. I drove to northern IL...I think that was the only time I've chased a synoptic snow event.

+1 on the hate of that storm.

I believe Beau also snow chased that storm, setting up somewhere around PIA.

Northern Illinois should be glad they didn't get the ice storm that Decatur, Springfield, and St Louis got out of that one... if they had, it likely would have been one of the biggest disasters in Illinois history... needless to say I was happy we only ended up with a dusting of snow from that storm...

Northern Illinois should be glad they didn't get the ice storm that Decatur, Springfield, and St Louis got out of that one... if they had, it likely would have been one of the biggest disasters in Illinois history... needless to say I was happy we only ended up with a dusting of snow from that storm...

I can't imagine a major ice storm in the Chicago metro. It would be chaos for sure!

Biggest ones I know of up that way are in the 0.5-0.75" range, which is pretty significant but short of entering the realm of catastrophe.

true, and depending on when it was, if it was before the freeways and roads in chicago it would make it a whole other story, if Chicago was to get a STL 06 or Kentucky 09 ice storm, it would be one of those storms that would literally be treated like how say a Hurricane coming into Miami, it would be that bad. and while I don't feel ice would be a huge concern up by chicago this winter with the La Nina, it's not really out of the realm of possibility that one day a crippling catastrophic ice storm hits the windy city..

I found a power outage map from DEC 1...2.4 millon people without power

8ampoweroutagedec1st.gif

Archived