Newest Member
    Toothache
WOOF

Guest someguy

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest someguy

OSU I dont wnat to get into this debate between you and greg too much ... and I know EMC says the bias is gone

but its performance wasnt great with the current GL low

something is still wrong with GFS past say 84 hrs....

the 12z wed run dec 8 run at 96 hrs valid for dec 12 had the Low over western / central NC

the 00 and 12z thursday dec 9 runs .... the GFS had the Low in nw OHIO

1955, but that month didn't really have rain, either.

it's problematic to me that we are seeing nice blocking coinciding with this 500 low over the northeast. i dunno if that continues but i like persistence forecasting myself.

Guest someguy

The GFS says what storm ! It completely has the cold so overpowering that it shears everything apart...

in other news

water is wet

the sky is blue

and women have secrets

Guest someguy

The GFS was just as good as the ECMWF in the tropical season...when the new upgrade was running. Or do you just pay attention to winter weather?

this is not the "first test"

what do you think about tkaing out the 6z and 18z run and using the computing power to run the GFS hat high resolution all the way through to 384 hrs?

Just curious

OSU I dont wnat to get into this debate with greg too much ... and I know EMC says the bias is gone

but its performance wasnt great with the current GL low

something is still wrong woith GFS

the 12z wed run dec 8 run at 96 hrs valid for dec 12 had the Low over western / central NC

the 00 and 12z thursday dec 9 runs .... the GFS had the Low in nw OHIO

It just bothers me that a model can be off by several hundred miles or more in a 4 day range. That truly is pathetic!

what do you think about tkaing out the 6z and 18z run and using the computing power to run the GFS hat high resolution all the way through to 384 hrs?

Just curious

Im not OSU, but I would have mixed feelings about it. Part of me says yes, go for it. The other part of me says no, because nobody really uses anything beyond hour 180 for a public, day-to-day forecast anyway.

Ugh, the 0Z GGEM, I mean the 0Z perfect prog of the God's, doesn't look like it's gonn'a be as generous as it was a mere 12hr ago. Looks like it's gonna shear our fantasy out into the sea. A friggin' conveyor belt of death to our north...Then again, what do I know? Way too much (awful) Catoctin Creek Rrganic Roundstone Rye Whisky for me tonight.

well I may stay up for the 0z euro

got work on new stuff anyways

time a for giant mug of Tea and WAWA chocolate chip Muffin

I just have this awful feeling in my gut that the euro was just teasing us. Also I didnt see the upper level maps leading up to the event on the EURO, but what is the major difference between its depiction and the GFS's?

true but why can't we all just state facts and not exaggerate to prove a point?

:huh: I'm not sure if you were directing that at Wes or not, but he is far from the exaggerating type. day 8, 9 , 10...there really isnt a difference if you ask me. Day 8 is just a couple days closer to becoming a legitimate threat then day 10. I'm not saying day 8-10 model forecasts are useless by any means by the way, but storm threats can appear and vanish very easily

:huh: I'm not sure if you were directing that at Wes or not, but he is far from the exaggerating type. day 8, 9 , 10...there really isnt a difference if you ask me. Day 8 is just a couple days closer to becoming a legitimate threat then day 10. I'm not saying day 8-10 model forecasts are useless by any means by the way, but storm threats can appear and vanish very easily

No not as wes him saying that was what caused me to say it but it is other posters who choose to exaggerate as opposed to stating facts. 8-10 day might be similar but if its not a day 10 threat then why say that....thats all I'm saying.

No not as wes him saying that was what caused me to say it but it is other posters who choose to exaggerate as opposed to stating facts. 8-10 day might be similar but if its not a day 10 threat then why say that....thats all I'm saying.

Oh ok. Wasn't sure for a second and Wes is as straight forward as they come.

Anyhow, I think the euro has at least gotten our attention for that timeframe, regardless if it holds serve or not on tonights run.

Just curious

Actually, why don't they just give in and initialize the GFS the same way they do the EC? Doesn't that account for a lot of the issues we see between 96 and 132hrs? It sure seems like it'd be a likely culprit.

Actually, why don't they just give in and initialize the GFS the same way they do the EC? Doesn't that account for a lot of the issues we see between 96 and 132hrs? It sure seems like it'd be a likely culprit.

I remember seeing a thread on eastern that showed that the GFS performed just as well as the Euro when it was initialized with the Euro's initialization data.

I remember seeing a thread on eastern that showed that the GFS performed just as well as the Euro when it was initialized with the Euro's initialization data.

That might have been my thread. It was just a case study, though, and for a multi week period in the summer of 2007 I think. There's a journal article on it if you search for it. Intriguing nonetheless...

I thought the europeans wont even allow the opportunity to do that?

We could just develop our own. After all kill the 6Z and 18Z runs and we'll have the compute time to do the initialization properly, as they do. They basically spend almost as much time on point in time initialization/interpolation as they do on running the actual model.

Guest someguy

0Z SUNDAY EURO to 168 hr has phasing between the PJ and STJ...

a 500 Low forms over VA MD PA

the tilt is negative

and NO surface development occurs

yea it waits til 240

It seems like there is two potential threats on the table. With what DT described there it sounds like the surface reflection should not be out to sea at 168 hrs but rather closer to the coast.. Of course if i am wrong I know he will correct me but it seems to be pretty much still on the table and then the other is a different system at 240

Archived