• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2012 General Obs And Discussions

Srain

After the S winter storm, it looks mostly uneventful for a few days for most of us W of the Mississippi, with the very far S and NW Pac near normal while the rest torches in a near zonal flow flooded with Pacific maritime air. Past day 10 things might change, but right now only the op GFS hints at a coolish pattern.

BTW, MBY had drizzle most of the night, a little more than expected. I'm expecting only a few drops with the winter storm per se, it looks pretty far north for me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see ABQ has changed over to -SN.

it depends...ABQ is shaped like a bowl...for the most part...i live in old downtown, which is probably at the level of the rio grande, lowest elevation in the city and we are rain...but as you head out of the bowl, especially NE...towards the Sandia Mtn Tram, the elevation rises quickly and it's been all snow...i think i heard on the radio that side of town has a few inches?

i posted in the other thread i might get motivated to drive around and check things out...

Interesting little trend going on with DMX this year. Consistently they've been quite bullish with snowfall amounts compared to neighboring offices and once again that seems to be the case.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dmx/?n=winter_monitor

Interesting considering DVN is the office that tends to have more interesting writeups about storms.

Sneaky little storm going to slide in here tonight, gfs has it way south but latest ruc and other wrf models bring it much further north. Nws has us at no pops for tonight and 20% for tomorrow I bet I see 3 inches of snow from this.

Dealing with the same junk here as that low amplitude wave phases with the northern stream wave dropping in from Canada. The degree of phasing and wave interaction is always some the models struggle with,but I agree with you, sneaky little event for much of the plains here.

Interesting little trend going on with DMX this year. Consistently they've been quite bullish with snowfall amounts compared to neighboring offices and once again that seems to be the case.

http://www.crh.noaa....=winter_monitor

Interesting considering DVN is the office that tends to have more interesting writeups about storms.

If they are bullish they are undoubtedly leaning towards the most phased guidance like the RGEM. Western IA looks more favored than central, but an inchof snow seems quite possible.

Sneaky little storm going to slide in here tonight, gfs has it way south but latest ruc and other wrf models bring it much further north. Nws has us at no pops for tonight and 20% for tomorrow I bet I see 3 inches of snow from this.

Impressive snow amounts in a few locations in ND

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS ND

834 AM CST FRI JAN 27 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0833 AM HEAVY SNOW GRAFTON 48.42N 97.40W

01/27/2012 M8.0 INCH WALSH ND EMERGENCY MNGR

0824 AM SNOW BOTTINEAU 48.83N 100.44W

01/27/2012 M4.1 INCH BOTTINEAU ND CO-OP OBSERVER

0643 AM SNOW PARK RIVER 48.39N 97.74W

01/27/2012 M6.0 INCH WALSH ND CO-OP OBSERVER

Impressive snow amounts in a few locations in ND

Ya a few locations really had some nice jackpot amounts. I didn't stay up to watch the radar trends so I'm sure they must of had some impressive banding with the impressive upper level frontogenesis. Here's a pat on the back post for the official recorded snow amount

NWUS53 KFGF 271805

LSRFGF

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EASTERN ND/GRAND FORKS ND

1205 PM CST FRI JAN 27 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1100 AM SNOW GRAND FORKS 47.92N 97.07W

01/27/2012 M3.0 INCH GRAND FORKS ND OFFICIAL NWS OBS

STORM TOTAL

&&

$$

JKAISER

Today was another pathetic winter day in Nebraska full of record high temps. 68 at North Platte. Disgusting.

oh jeez, i'll take that 68 degree day and run! today i spent 8hrs working on a 60% slope in snow up to my, well, crotch...we had about 2hrs of sunlight and then were in the shade the rest of the day...i was soaked and cold by the time i got back in the truck to go home...we need some warm weather here, to melt out my work areas...this is really starting to be a pain in my a$$!!!

oh jeez, i'll take that 68 degree day and run! today i spent 8hrs working on a 60% slope in snow up to my, well, crotch...we had about 2hrs of sunlight and then were in the shade the rest of the day...i was soaked and cold by the time i got back in the truck to go home...we need some warm weather here, to melt out my work areas...this is really starting to be a pain in my a$$!!!

That actually sounds like fun to me! What elevation are you working at? Unless it is perfectly shaded or you are below 6000 feet I would expect that snow to stick around a long time.

Looks like we may have a modest severe weather threat over west TX on Thursday, and then C/E OK, SW MO, and AR on Friday. It'll be hard to develop much instability. It IS the beginning of February after all.

I believe OKC just wrapped up the 9th warmest January in the city's history. Boring weather wise, but I've enjoyed the golfing weather....

Records keep breaking here in DSM. Up to the 3rd warmest winter on record. Also found out something from a local met's blog. DSM has never had a 3 day streak of at least 60 degrees during the meteorological winter (Dec 1st to March 1st) until yesterday. Forecast is 60 again today.

i'd love to have 60's! i've heard some rumblings about another ULL round about sunday or something to that effect...and then maybe another one to follow a few days after...not what i'm looking forward to...

woke up to sunshine, but all the streets were wet so we had some showers roll through sometime overnight...

i'd love to have 60's! i've heard some rumblings about another ULL round about sunday or something to that effect...and then maybe another one to follow a few days after...not what i'm looking forward to...

woke up to sunshine, but all the streets were wet so we had some showers roll through sometime overnight...

Yep, probably... pattern will remain coolish for the south and warm for the north...very Niño like...though air sources will be Pacific and Canadian, arctic cross flow remains unlikely in the foreseeable future.

Although we are currently slightly below average since Dec 1st., IMBY, my lowest temp has been 32F, once. :P

hey, look...it's me again...lol...so it's too cold in ABQ...again...woke up to a dusting of snow...partly cloudy now, but the wind makes it feel a bit like the winters in New England...not liking this one bit...it's weird to feel how cold it is but to still need to use sunscreen...back east, we don't need sunscreen till it actually gets warm...now i smell like the beach but it's 35 flipping degrees and windy...

That actually sounds like fun to me! What elevation are you working at? Unless it is perfectly shaded or you are below 6000 feet I would expect that snow to stick around a long time.

crap, totally missed this...my bad...we are working at 7500-7800ft right now...the snow is melting fast now in area that get sun...but in areas that don't get sun i don't expect the snow to be gone till april or later...which is very very bad...

Archived