• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lakes/OV November Severe Weather Events

Hoosier

This time of year is known as the second season for severe weather so let's take a look back at some well known and not so well known November severe weather outbreaks. I'm restricting this to November events with at least 5 tornadoes so it doesn't get out of control. I will post surface, h5, and a map of reports for each event.

November 13, 1951

12z 500 mb/surface maps

post-14-0-31774100-1320291514.gif

post-14-0-58831700-1320291542.gif

00z 500 mb/surface maps

post-14-0-89649000-1320291583.gif

post-14-0-56446700-1320291615.gif

Reports

post-14-0-78041400-1320291648.png

Interesting thing about the November 15 outbreaks in 1955 and 1960--Nov. 15 those years fell on Tuesday. Plus Nov. 15, 2005, which was also active (a High Risk day in the areas that were affected by the 1955 outbreak 50 years to the day later) was also on Tuesday too. And I also vividly remember an active severe weather day (with a tornado watch in central Illinois) on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 1988.

Remarkable coincidence.

Could you put maps up for the Nov. 15 events for 1988 and 2005?

Since Nov. 15 falls on Tuesday this year, makes me wonder if we should brace for a severe weather event on or around that day here in the Midwest.

I think November severe events are overrated, at least the frequency of them on this board. March and April seem to have many more memorable severe events, yet everybody talks of October and November as a "second season". I think it's because fall weather in general is the most boring (dry weather and when there is an event, it is often cold rain) so the severe events seem more notable.

Interesting thing about the November 15 outbreaks in 1955 and 1960--Nov. 15 those years fell on Tuesday. Plus Nov. 15, 2005, which was also active (a High Risk day in the areas that were affected by the 1955 outbreak 50 years to the day later) was also on Tuesday too. And I also vividly remember an active severe weather day (with a tornado watch in central Illinois) on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 1988.

Remarkable coincidence.

Could you put maps up for the Nov. 15 events for 1988 and 2005?

Since Nov. 15 falls on Tuesday this year, makes me wonder if we should brace for a severe weather event on or around that day here in the Midwest.

Yeah I'll be doing those events later.

I think November severe events are overrated, at least the frequency of them on this board. March and April seem to have many more memorable severe events, yet everybody talks of October and November as a "second season". I think it's because fall weather in general is the most boring (dry weather and when there is an event, it is often cold rain) so the severe events seem more notable.

There are plenty of Novembers that don't have anything in these parts but it's called the second season for a reason - it's not as prolific as the spring season but there is definitely an uptick in tornadic activity compared to summer. This is especially true in Dixie Alley and occasionally northward through the OV.

Here's a map of the ratio of the maximum daily tornado probability from October through December to the maximum daily tornado probability from January through August. Orange and higher colors are associated with ratios of 0.5 or more. Dark green and white are greater than 1, indicating that the fall peak is stronger than the spring peak over southern Mississippi.

tsrat.gif

There are plenty of Novembers that don't have anything in these parts but it's called the second season for a reason - it's not as prolific as the spring season but there is definitely an uptick in tornadic activity compared to summer. This is especially true in Dixie Alley and occasionally northward through the OV.

Here's a map of the ratio of the maximum daily tornado probability from October through December to the maximum daily tornado probability from January through August. Orange and higher colors are associated with ratios of 0.5 or more. Dark green and white are greater than 1, indicating that the fall peak is stronger than the spring peak over southern Mississippi.

The problem is in most places of the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes, spring isn't the peak of severe season anyway. Late spring/early summer is, and my point was that even early spring events seem more frequent than October/November events. Granted, there is a higher occurrence in the very southern GL and OV, but around here, I can only remember one or two November events (one being a very abnormal one last year the Monday before Thanksgiving).

11/8/11?

Maybe. 12z Euro takes a deepening surface low into Wisconsin. Moisture return looks better compared to the weekend event but still maybe not great this far north. Probably would be a significant severe threat at least up into the mid MS valley given current runs.

The problem is in most places of the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes, spring isn't the peak of severe season anyway. Late spring/early summer is, and my point was that even early spring events seem more frequent than October/November events. Granted, there is a higher occurrence in the very southern GL and OV, but around here, I can only remember one or two November events (one being a very abnormal one last year the Monday before Thanksgiving).

Depends how you define early spring I guess. Maybe I should've said fall is a secondary season that usually isn't as active as spring/early summer?

http://en.wikipedia....tornado_of_2005

On November 9, 2005 a strong F1 tornado crossed Hamilton, ON.

"This November 9 tornado was the latest one (in any season) recorded in Ontario since an F2 tornado hit near Exeter on December 12, 1946. The only other tornado this late in the season occurred near Leamington on November 29, 1919."

Any maps out there for 11/11/11--Nov. 11, 1911 that is--"The Great Blue Norther" (per Wikipedia)?

This included the Janesville, WI tornado (killing 9 and injuring 50) and within an hour there were blizzard conditions in the midst of the debris. Also anomalous temperature differentials, such as Kansas City with a record high of 76 followed by a low of 11, and in Oklahoma City, both a record high AND low set in the same day--83 to 17.

Central Illinois was also hard-hit by tornadoes a century ago today per ILX's "Weather Trivia" for today:

11/11/1911Tornadoes moved across Cass and Mason Counties of central Illinois. The Cass County tornado touched down near Arenzville and moved through Virginia, where 100 buildings were damaged. 12 people were injured. In Mason County, the tornado moved from near Easton to the Logan/Mason County border west of San Jose. An infant and an elderly woman were killed in separate homes near Easton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Blue_Norther_of_11/11/11

Any maps out there for 11/11/11--Nov. 11, 1911 that is--"The Great Blue Norther" (per Wikipedia)?

This included the Janesville, WI tornado (killing 9 and injuring 50) and within an hour there were blizzard conditions in the midst of the debris. Also anomalous temperature differentials, such as Kansas City with a record high of 76 followed by a low of 11, and in Oklahoma City, both a record high AND low set in the same day--83 to 17.

Central Illinois was also hard-hit by tornadoes a century ago today per ILX's "Weather Trivia" for today:

11/11/1911Tornadoes moved across Cass and Mason Counties of central Illinois. The Cass County tornado touched down near Arenzville and moved through Virginia, where 100 buildings were damaged. 12 people were injured. In Mason County, the tornado moved from near Easton to the Logan/Mason County border west of San Jose. An infant and an elderly woman were killed in separate homes near Easton.

http://en.wikipedia....her_of_11/11/11

Should have looked a little harder :rolleyes: as my question has been answered through LSX's page:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/eax/?n=nov_11_1911

Any more maps from that crazy 11/11/11 one century ago today?

Archived