• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Putting the Storm in Perspective

ChescoWx

How unusual was this storm? Taking the 9" reported a few miles from my location (Elverston)....in NW Chesco we normally will reach 9" of snow in a season on January 13th....

Do you have a record of the heaviest October snowfall for Chester county previous to this?

My records only go back to the early 70's and out of the handful of October snowfalls, 3 inches on 10/10/79 was my highest when I was living in W. Brandywine twp.

And to think this storm could have been much worse had the heavy snow continued in the afternoon rather than the changeover to the sleet/light snow mix.

The records for Chester County at Coatesville go back to 1894. Only 2 snowfalls were reported in October -

10/19/40 - 1.0"

10/30/25 - 3.5"

I lived in NE Philly in 1979 and remember the 10/10/79 storm well. We had probably an inch or so in the city from that one. Strangely the Coatesville Coop did not report any snow that day...but did report precip with a low of 34

Paul

Do you have a record of the heaviest October snowfall for Chester county previous to this?

My records only go back to the early 70's and out of the handful of October snowfalls, 3 inches on 10/10/79 was my highest when I was living in W. Brandywine twp.

And to think this storm could have been much worse had the heavy snow continued in the afternoon rather than the changeover to the sleet/light snow mix.

The records for Chester County at Coatesville go back to 1894. Only 2 snowfalls were reported in October -

10/19/40 - 1.0"

10/30/25 - 3.5"

I lived in NE Philly in 1979 and remember the 10/10/79 storm well. We had probably an inch or so in the city from that one. Strangely the Coatesville Coop did not report any snow that day...but did report precip with a low of 34

Paul

The next day is even odder...

post-39-0-56833700-1320287078.png

Go ahead, rub it in. sad.gif

Talking to my MET103 professor after class this morning I mentioned the snow "back home" this weekend and he was confused for a second.

Shoulda gone to Rutgers, Kean, Penn State, Millersville.. any of the many met schools back closer to home, my friend. Might've been cheaper too.

Nice. We actually have a SCEP (from Kentucky) this Fall; a first since I have been here.

I always figured that since you have all those kids from all those schools begging to be volunteers (including myself once), you guys figured it was cost effective not to have a SCEP ;)

We haven't had a single volunteer here in the almost 5 years I've been here.

I always figured that since you have all those kids from all those schools begging to be volunteers (including myself once), you guys figured it was cost effective not to have a SCEP ;)

Yeah, I was actually surprised when I found out we were getting a SCEP.

Shoulda gone to Rutgers, Kean, Penn State, Millersville.. any of the many met schools back closer to home, my friend. Might've been cheaper too.

New Jersey, Scotty, Too big, Actually not that bad. In respective order. Valpo gave me quite a chunk of money though, so much so that it cost the same as going to Millersville and slightly LESS than Penn State.

And we continue to have students from all of these schools intern/volunteer at my office. :)

We have a very good relationship with LOT. We have 2 SCEPs there right now I believe, as well as others who have done work with us. Tom Skilling also really likes Valpo and takes 2 interns every semester.

Monday there's a NWS Road Show at which there will be mets from LOT, IWX and IND all here to have a quasi panel discussion and then eat pizza.

So wait, why do people say it's hard to get into the NWS if Elko is "begging" for SCEPs? I'm just honestly curious because as of now NWS would still be my first choice employer.

So wait, why do people say it's hard to get into the NWS if Elko is "begging" for SCEPs? I'm just honestly curious because as of now NWS would still be my first choice employer.

SCEPs aren't regular positions. We aren't understaffed. They are special positions designed specifically to help groom future employees. We don't "need" a SCEP.

SCEPs aren't regular positions. We aren't understaffed. They are special positions designed specifically to help groom future employees. We don't "need" a SCEP.

oh ok that makes sense. So it should theoretically be easy to get a SCEP position, but the difficulty is getting hired after your SCEP?

oh ok that makes sense. So it should theoretically be easy to get a SCEP position, but the difficulty is getting hired after your SCEP?

I think its the reverse, actually. Since SCEPs are special, you have to "earn" it... but then, once you've done your SCEP service, you have "earned" a regular position... somewhere. Could even be here (a former SCEP from Seattle was an intern here for a year). Technically I don't think you are "guaranteed" a regular position once you're done your SCEP time the same way it used to be, but I'm sure they are still highly favored over non-SCEP.

I think its the reverse, actually. Since SCEPs are special, you have to "earn" it... but then, once you've done your SCEP service, you have "earned" a regular position... somewhere. Could even be here (a former SCEP from Seattle was an intern here for a year). Technically I don't think you are "guaranteed" a regular position once you're done your SCEP time the same way it used to be, but I'm sure they are still highly favored over non-SCEP.

So then if I wanted to do SCEP, would I apply at the end of my undergrad or the end of my grad?

(By the way, if a mod wants to make this a separate thread that's fine since I went way OT here)

So then if I wanted to do SCEP, would I apply at the end of my undergrad or the end of my grad?

(By the way, if a mod wants to make this a separate thread that's fine since I went way OT here)

It would be part of your grad or undergrad I think so you'd apply during your schooling, not after its over. The SCEP we had here is still in school for his masters.

Archived