• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Chasing RINA

You'll have to drive south some, IMO, to get to the center.... Xelha to Paamul

Yeah, that looks like the possible zone. The center is doing that pre-landfall wobble thing-- first it was more W, now it's more N-- so it's hard to know exactly. I'm just going to chill in Playa del Carmen and make a decision Re: where to go when the center gets closer (if there even is a coherent center at that point). I certainly wouldn't mind driving a few miles down the coast to take a pressure reading.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1 pm CDT advisory has it at 19.5N 87.1W, moving a hair W of due N. The current heading would bring it in near Tulum or Xel Ha. However, if it turns due N, it'll come in very close to me (Playa del Carmen)-- which would be nice. :sun: I don't feel like driving to get a central-pressure reading. :D

The latest IR ain't bad-- the center is embedded well within the deep convection:

post-19-0-99067400-1319738165.jpg

I drove down to Tulum-- wanted to take a look at the town so I can file away the knowledge for future chases. (Emily 2005, a Cat 4, made landfall here.) Also, I'm determined to get a central-pressure reading from this steaming pile of a system-- would like to come away with at least that.

The CUN radar is not very good, so I've been looking more at BZE which, even from this distance, shows the structure a little better. The IR presentation has once again deteriorated. (It's really misleading, by the way-- this whole region is under reds, but on the drive down from Playa del Carmen, the rain has been mostly light-to-moderate.)

Current conditions in Tulum: light rain, light winds (under 10 kt), 1004.5 mb.

I'll chill here until the next advisory-- in about an hour. I'm parked next to a pleasant-looking cafe.

It's raining harder now-- has been for a half hour or so-- but the winds remain light (<10 kt) and the pressure hasn't fallen a whole lot. It's now 1003.9 mb-- a drop of 0.6 mb in one hour, which is pretty lame for an approaching cyclone deep in the tropics. You'd expect more of a gradient than that.

The new advisory indicates Rina has weakened more. Extrapolating the current motion brings the pressure center ashore between here and Playa del Carmen, so I'll probably head back up the coast in a bit. (Cool since it's on the way back anyway.)

I haven't actually ever gotten off the highway to check out Tulum, but you'e piqued my curiosity, so perhaps I'll go have a look. I have the day to kill, so why not?

If you haven't been there before I'd check out Chichen Itza. The ruins there are extremely impressive and you can take a glorious bath in beautiful Cenote Ikil which is close by.

If you haven't been there before I'd check out Chichen Itza. The ruins there are extremely impressive and you can take a glorious bath in beautiful Cenote Ikil which is close by.

I tried to check out Xel-Ha on the way up here, but it was blocked off. I think even through the storm is a major dud, stuff is closed today because of the expectation of a hurricane.

This is the very first chase I've been on where, during the "chase", I actually had time to park the car and do work-- eMailing clients and colleagues, etc. :lmao:

OK, so I'm making this a game of "Pin the Low Pressure Center on the Turkey"...

I'm now at 20.286N 87.377W, which is on the waterfront of a small bay ~2 mi SW of Xel-Ha. Extrapolating the last three advisory positions brings the center ashore here.

Current pressure-- corrected to 5 ft above sea level-- is 1003.0 mb. We just had a brief downpour-- now it's light again. Winds between 5 and 10 kt, although they seem to be picking up as I sit here in the car. Good-size waves are breaking well offshore. Even in this bad weather, the water is turquoise here.

OK, this is mildly interesting: looking up the bay to the NE, the trees are waving quite a bit more-- bending toward the ocean, meaning the flow is offshore-- and there's a low howl coming from that direction. I think whatever is left of Rna's wind core is coming ashore a little further up the coast-- so I think Im going to go up 2 or 3 mi.

1002.1 mb.

I'm now at 20.320N 87.357W, in Xel-Ha, near the waterfront. I had to trespass to get here, and a guard asked me to leave-- but he's cool with me taking a couple of minutes to record data. (I really need to work on my Spanish-- I could scarcely explain what I was doing here.)

Trying ti determine altitude to get a sea-level pressure reading.

The Cancun radar MAY be of some help to you now, Josh. It's a bit difficult to say for sure, but by my estimation you may need to get as extremely NE as you can... Land's End. It appears that the eye remains S of there.

OK, no wonder the pressure is still around 1002 mb. The newest advisory has the center a bit E of me, at 20.1N 87.2W. It's heading due N now. Need to head up the coast a bit.

My longitude is a little more than 87.25W. Since the center is moving a shade W of due N (350 degrees), but will probably be shifting to due N and then E of due N, I'm going to to drive just a little more-- until my longitude is a little under 87.2N-- and stop there.

Still lots of lightning. I'm parked on the side of the highway with the car off and the window down, and I can hear the low rumble of thunder.

I just pulled over and looked a the IR, and it explains why all the lightning seems to be up ahead-- as the deep convection is all NE of the center, and well ENE of me.

It's cool-- I just want to get in the pressure center. I'm not chasing heavy weather with this one.

Almost to Palmul, where I'll reassess.

I just pulled over and looked a the IR, and it explains why all the lightning seems to be up ahead-- as the deep convection is all NE of the center, and well ENE of me.

It's cool-- I just want to get in the pressure center. I'm not chasing heavy weather with this one.

Almost to Palmul, where I'll reassess.

Now that the center is becoming completely detached from the convection, I think it should start to slow down, and the pressure has likely risen to around 1000mb, so you are probably not too far off from the minimum pressure right now!

I agree that that's a fast drop, but keep in mind that convective activity can play some games with the pressures, too. The rapid increase in the wind is evidence of nearby convective activity as well.

It sounds as if you are enjoying the evening!

The wind picked up really suddenly and is really blowing now-- like a storm. Its blowing offshore, it seems. And the pressure has dropped a bit-- to 1000.1 mb. That's a fast drop.

Archived