Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Vote On Your Top East Coast Snow And Hurricane Year

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Your Top Year?

You can choose your top year with more weight given to the hurricane, snowstorm, or total seasonal snowfall.

It's really up to you on which factors to weigh more heavily in choosing your vote. IMBY votes are just as

welcome here as votes for the overall impact along the East Coast.

The first year that I am nominating for consideration is 1960-1961. This year I am starting with the 1960 hurricane season

and going into early 1961.

The next nominee is the 1995-1996 season. I am starting off with November 1995 and running through the 1996 hurricane season.

If I could have been born nay other time, it would have been in the early 50s, so that I could have been at this age to experience the epic winters of 1958-1969.

Therefore I picked 1960-61.

Dec 11-13, 1960 -> 14.6",

Jan 19-20, 1961 -> 13.2",

Feb 3-4, 1961 -> 10.3"

according to the records from Philly Int'l. (There are records for Neshaminy Falls, but all of their numbers are rounded off to the inch or half-inch, and the ground total always matches the new snow total, so I think they were probably under-measuring)

Plus I heard Donna was a real hurricane, not like that Irene crap (though I don't know how bad Donna was in Philly as compared to LI)

If I could have been born nay other time, it would have been in the early 50s, so that I could have been at this age to experience the epic winters of 1958-1969.

Therefore I picked 1960-61.

Dec 11-13, 1960 -> 14.6",

Jan 19-20, 1961 -> 13.2",

Feb 3-4, 1961 -> 10.3"

according to the records from Philly Int'l. (There are records for Neshaminy Falls, but all of their numbers are rounded off to the inch or half-inch, and the ground total always matches the new snow total, so I think they were probably under-measuring)

Plus I heard Donna was a real hurricane, not like that Irene crap (though I don't know how bad Donna was in Philly as compared to LI)

I voted for 1960-1961 also. I chose that year since it was the only on the list that featured true hurricane conditions here followed by a great winter.

I found an old newspaper article on Hurricane Donna here in Long Beach published on Thursday,September 15th,1960.

Better than three quarters of the homes in the community were without light and electric power for periods of

from 12-26 hours.Experts described conditions in Westholme and in the West End,at the height of the storm,

as critical.Above normal tides carried small boats,beach booths,and other beachfront equipment onto Beech

Street and along West Broadway and into the narrower oceanfront streets. At points in the western part of the

community,ocean water covered the streets and reached a height of four or more feet.Many roofs were partially

torn from houses and countless trees were damaged.Police reported numerous calls requiring medical

attention from persons suffering from cuts,due to the flying glass.At the height of the storm,the roof of the city's smaller

water tower was torn from its fiundation and crashed into the street below.The Long Beach Fire Dept. had one of its

busiest days on record with Hurricane Donna.Several calls were answered by firemen in the West End in

outboard motor boats,which were used to help evacuate marooned men,women,and children.

During the course of the storm,winds of up to 90 mles per hour buffeted the city.

Hurricane statements:

BOSTON WEATHER BUREAU BULLETIN ON HURRICANE DONNA 3 PM EST MONDAY SEPTEMBER 12 1960

THE CENTER OF SEVERE HURRICANE DONNA PASSED INSHORE OVER CENTRAL LONG ISLAND AT 2 PM EST. IT IS MOVING TOWARDS THE NORTH-NORTHEAST BETWEEN 35 AND 40 MPH. THIS PATH WI LL BRING THE CENTER SLIGHTLY TO THE EAST OF HARTFORD BY MID AFTERNOON. ALL PRECAUIIONS SHOULD B E CONTINUED FOR HURRICANE WINDS THRU NEW ENGLAND THRU THE BALANCE OF THE AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. WINDS 74 TO 100MPH AND OCCASIONALLY HIGHER IN GUSTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED ACROSS LONG ISLAND THIS AFTERNOON. LAGUARDIA AIRPORT AT NEW YORK MEASURED GUSTS TO 93 MPH AT NOON EST TODAY.

NYC picked up 54.7 inches of snow during the 1960-1961 season.

Highlights of the season:

December 11-12,1960...15.2 inches of snow

February 3-4,1961........17.4 inches of snow

For personal experience, it's 1960-61 and nothing else comes close. Donna was about #6 for overall impact to the place I was living at a particular storm-time, and 1960-61 ranks up there with my best Fort Kent and New Sharon winters, in some ways even better as it's my only winter with three storms of 18" or greater.

After that it's probably 1976-77, with Belle having little wind but incredible rain in N.Maine, followed by 186.7" snow that winter. 1955-56 is also a contender for #2, with Connie/Diane flooding followed by the awesome March of 1956.

my years are 1960 and 2003...Big snow March 1960...Donna in September...Big snows winter of 60-61...2003 had big snows in February and December with Isabel...only four years had major snowstorms 10" or more in Jan-Apr and December in NYC...

I think both of us would choose the 12 months 3/1/60 thru 2/28/61. MBY got 12" of wet surprise on 3/23/61 and some April snows, but 3/3/60 was way better than all of those together - FOUR storms 18"+ in one 12-month period.

Archived