• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

We have an interesting forecast "conflict" between Meteo France and the JTWC.

The different agencies don't always agree, but here's a case where each is predicting exactly the opposite of what the other's saying. Bottom line: Meteo France brings Giovanna E whereas the JTWC brings it W.

So, what do you think? Who's going to end up being right?

post-19-0-00276900-1329401390.png

post-19-0-68000300-1329401380.gif

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy...the french are gonna get it right.

Why don't you share your reasoning? Or, why do you think the JTWC went the way they did?

(To the JTWC's defense, the Meteo France forecast is a bit more recent. The previous Meteo France forecast-- which was issued much closer to the current JTWC forecast-- was much less confident, showing only very hesitating E movement.)

I don't know why did the JTWC went the way they did, but it looks like the currently weak steering currents might have provided with less confidence than usual. There's some ridging to the east of the storm, and a very zonal westerly flow just to the south of the storm, no troughs in the next few days. The ridge will tend to move Giovanna to the SE a bit, though I'm not sure that it will be enough to avoid Madagascar...it will be close. After that, it looks like there will be some mid latitude amplification, which could hook Giovanna and whatever becomes of Cyclone 13 out to sea.

Also, the GFS and Euro show that scenario (going east).

I don't know why did the JTWC went the way they did, but it looks like the currently weak steering currents might have provided with less confidence than usual. There's some ridging to the east of the storm, and a very zonal westerly flow just to the south of the storm, no troughs in the next few days. The ridge will tend to move Giovanna to the SE a bit, though I'm not sure that it will be enough to avoid Madagascar...it will be close. After that, it looks like there will be some mid latitude amplification, which could hook Giovanna and whatever becomes of Cyclone 13 out to sea.

Also, the GFS and Euro show that scenario (going east).

Thanks!

By the way, if you're interested, here's the JTWC's discussion Re: this forecast:

TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (GIOVANNA), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 450 NM EAST OF MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE, HAD TRACKED SOUTH-SOUTHWESTWARD AT 04 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS THE SYSTEM HAS MAINTAINED CENTRAL CONVECTION AS IT SLOWED ON ITS FORWARD MOTION IN RESPONSE TO AN APPROACHING MID-LATITUDE TROUGH FROM THE SOUTHWEST. THE INITIAL POSITION WAS BASED ON THE ABOVE ANIMATION WITH POOR CONFIDENCE AND THE INITIAL INTENSITY WAS BASED ON DVORAK ESTIMATES FROM PGTW AND KNES. UPPER LEVEL ANALYSIS INDICATES THE SYSTEM IS APPROACHING A BREAK IN THE RIDGE IN AN AREA OF LOW (05-10 KNOT) VERTICAL WIND SHEAR. TC 12S IS TRACKING ALONG THE WESTERN PERIPHERY OF A DEEP-LAYERED SUBTROPICAL RIDGE (STR) TOTHE EAST. IT IS EXPECTED TO TRACK VERY SLOWLY WESTWARD AFTER TAU 2 AND LINGER IN THE COL BEFORE A SECONDARY STR, CURRENTLY ANCHORED OVER NORTHERN SOUTH AFRICA, EXTENDS EASTWARD AND ASSUMES STEERING TOWARD THE LATER TAUS. THIS WILL CAUSE AN EVENTUAL WEST-NORTHWEST-WARD PROJECTION OF THE STORM MOTION. THE SYSTEM WILL SLIGHTLY INTENSIFY OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS VWS REMAINS LOW. BEYOND TAU 24, IT WILL GRADUALLY WEAKEN DUE TO INCREASING VWS. THE MAJORITY OF THE AVAILABLE NUMERICAL GUIDANCE RESEMBLES THIS TRACK FORECAST. ON THE OTHER HAND, GFS DEPICTS AN EASTWARD RETROGRADATION OF THE TRACK AND ECMWF PREDICTS AN EARLY RECURVATURE INTO THE WESTERLIES. THIS TRACK FORECAST IS JUST TO THE LEFT OF BUT MUCH SLOWER THAN CONSENSUS.

Thanks!

By the way, if you're interested, here's the JTWC's discussion Re: this forecast:

TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (GIOVANNA), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 450 NM EAST OF MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE, HAD TRACKED SOUTH-SOUTHWESTWARD AT 04 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS THE SYSTEM HAS MAINTAINED CENTRAL CONVECTION AS IT SLOWED ON ITS FORWARD MOTION IN RESPONSE TO AN APPROACHING MID-LATITUDE TROUGH FROM THE SOUTHWEST. THE INITIAL POSITION WAS BASED ON THE ABOVE ANIMATION WITH POOR CONFIDENCE AND THE INITIAL INTENSITY WAS BASED ON DVORAK ESTIMATES FROM PGTW AND KNES. UPPER LEVEL ANALYSIS INDICATES THE SYSTEM IS APPROACHING A BREAK IN THE RIDGE IN AN AREA OF LOW (05-10 KNOT) VERTICAL WIND SHEAR. TC 12S IS TRACKING ALONG THE WESTERN PERIPHERY OF A DEEP-LAYERED SUBTROPICAL RIDGE (STR) TOTHE EAST. IT IS EXPECTED TO TRACK VERY SLOWLY WESTWARD AFTER TAU 2 AND LINGER IN THE COL BEFORE A SECONDARY STR, CURRENTLY ANCHORED OVER NORTHERN SOUTH AFRICA, EXTENDS EASTWARD AND ASSUMES STEERING TOWARD THE LATER TAUS. THIS WILL CAUSE AN EVENTUAL WEST-NORTHWEST-WARD PROJECTION OF THE STORM MOTION. THE SYSTEM WILL SLIGHTLY INTENSIFY OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS VWS REMAINS LOW. BEYOND TAU 24, IT WILL GRADUALLY WEAKEN DUE TO INCREASING VWS. THE MAJORITY OF THE AVAILABLE NUMERICAL GUIDANCE RESEMBLES THIS TRACK FORECAST. ON THE OTHER HAND, GFS DEPICTS AN EASTWARD RETROGRADATION OF THE TRACK AND ECMWF PREDICTS AN EARLY RECURVATURE INTO THE WESTERLIES. THIS TRACK FORECAST IS JUST TO THE LEFT OF BUT MUCH SLOWER THAN CONSENSUS.

Yea, I'd say this is probably going to verify much further west than the old JTWC track...

hv0yts.gif

The fresh JTWC is now in line with Meteo France.

But like I said, the previous JTWC forecast was very old-- more than 12 hr-- so I think that was a big factor in the divergence of opinion:

post-19-0-26060100-1329408327.gif

12Z GFS looks pretty close to this. Kinda meanders for a couple days without doing much of anything, almost does a loop, and makes landfall over the extreme SW corner of the island.

I would think that a storm sitting over one location for that long would lead to some upwelling, although the Agulhas current is quite strong between Madigascar and mainland Africa and should probably replace most of the heat loss. Giovanna left a -2C wake east of the island, but the storm is a lot weaker now.

Probably the biggest factor against re-intensification to hurricane strength is the disruption of the core with that nasty topography.

Shear is generally light, though increases substantially to the southeast. Also, check out this difluence to the west of Giovanna (not unrelated to the divergence of tracks we saw earlier).

post-378-0-87241300-1329409526.gif

The Euro continues to advertise mischief in the Mozambique Channel, with the 12Z run showing a cyclone forming by Day 5 and coming ashore as an intense storm in Mozambique by Day 9.

n

JTWC agrees calling for a formative disturbance to brush by northern Madagascar and then intensify in the Mozambique Channel.

Steve

JTWC agrees calling for a formative disturbance to brush by northern Madagascar and then intensify in the Mozambique Channel.

Steve

Yep-- I just noticed the formation alert. Cool-- something to track.

Oz remains completely barren-- just a dreadful dry spell during their peak season. The Oz chaser dudes must be pissed. They're great guys and very serious about their chasing-- I hope they get some action before the season's out.

Yep-- I just noticed the formation alert. Cool-- something to track.

Oz remains completely barren-- just a dreadful dry spell during their peak season. The Oz chaser dudes must be pissed. They're great guys and very serious about their chasing-- I hope they get some action before the season's out.

They seem to be trying to remain glass half full:

From Oz Cyclone Chaser's FB page...

Models this morning show a fresh easterly flow in the Northern Hemisphere about to cross the equator starting late today or tomorrow resultingin the formation of a weak monsoon trough stretching from Indonesia through to the far northern Coral Sea in 2-3 days time.

The development of a monsoonal trough about 6 days earlier than forecast by climatic modelling is throwing a spanner in the works and complicating medium range forecasts at the moment. We did not expect this fresh pulse of Easterly winds north of the equator so soon, and so the entire region will need to be monitored closely starting mid to late this week.

Irina is looping around off the Mozambique coast as a weak TS. Blah.

In other S-Hemisphere news... This non-classified system on the Australian coast near Rainbow Beach (a bit N of Brisbane) has a remarkably mature radar presentation-- banding and all. Wow. It's contributing to major flooding in New South Wales:

post-19-0-24798800-1330904187.png

Archived