Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Aussie (& S-Hemisphere) Cyclone Action 2011-2012

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of interesting chase action, it looks like the season might be over. I'm just getting that vibe. We're getting into Oz's late season, and any awesomeness is becoming increasingly less likely now. Big April landfalls are rare, although there have been some very important exceptions, like the great Monica of 2006.

Just whose butt do we sniff up now? Clearly the two systems within the South Pacific do not rate.

What the hell are you babbling about now? There is nothing in the Southern Hemisphere that is remotely interesting to any of us, so that's why we're not talking about it. Post all you want about some monsoon low in the open South Pacific for all I care, but don't complain because no one else does.

Named TC Daphne, will go Cat 2 and in the meantime help add to the fatal and devastating flooding already occurring in Fiji after its recent crappy half-formed low.

As for the end of the season, there are least 16 significant recorded TCs in April.... including Monica (and that's just coastline Oz in Queensland).

In addition I understand there is something of a nice set up beginning to occur in the CS by next weekend that appears to have some favourable onshore steering.

PS: Josh if you wish to set up a thread that involves the southern hemisphere bear in mind those crappy half formed lows that only get to Cat One or Two (under BoM guidelines) have actual impact and are taken seriously.

Otherwise set up a thread that includes only Cat 3/hurricane status or above before you start bagging forum members who have an interest.

Cheers until next season... as this one is apparently over.

Named TC Daphne, will go Cat 2 and in the meantime help add to the fatal flooding already occurring in Fiji after it's recent crappy half-formed low.

JTWC keeps it as a minimal TS-- doesn't look too exciting. Anyhoo, I'm not sure what your issue is. If you find it interesting, feel free to post about it. But you can't get your panties in a bunch because others aren't into it. Live and let live!

Otherwise set up a thread that includes only Cat 3/hurricane status or above before you start bagging forum members who have an interest.

No one begrudges you for having an interest in weak systems in the South Pacific. You are welcome to post here about them. What does bother me is your insistence that everyone else care and making disparaging comments when we don't. We've had this talk about 20 times since you joined the board. I can't figure out why you have such a difficult time understanding it.

:lol:

Boring. Why would any of us here want to talk about some crappy, half-formed low near Vanuatu? With garbage like that, the weather map might as well be clear.

It's April anyway-- the Oz season will be winding down now as we turn our sights back home.

PSU.... the above is not disparaging?

Agreed, I've been rapped over the knuckles before and at times with justification. But to be fair I'm not asking you or Josh to have an opinion. I'm simply putting up what is happening in the region I live. Josh makes no apologies that he doesn't care about minor systems... but he has certainly shown interest in lesser Australian mainland systems.... and that is fine. BUT, this is the only thread on this forum that discusses the region... why is it that if Josh thinks it's trivial.. then that is the view of all others (and as such are discouraged from posting)?

The reality is these two "lows" have caused more damage and death than all the other systems in the OZ region combined this season.

It has been an absolute disaster for Fiji (look up some clips). They deserved to be looked at... not trivialised.

What particularly baffles me on this occasion in regards to your post is that it's okay for others to make allegedly disparaging comments... but for others... it's not.

PSU.... the above is not disparaging?

Agreed, I've been rapped over the knuckles before and at times with justification. But to be fair I'm not asking you or Josh to have an opinion. I'm simply putting up what is happening in the region I live. Josh makes no apologies that he doesn't care about minor systems... but he has certainly shown interest in lesser Australian mainland systems.... and that is fine. BUT, this is the only thread on this forum that discusses the region... why is it that if Josh thinks it's trivial.. then that is the view of all others (and as such are discouraged from posting)?

The reality is these two "lows" have caused more damage and death than all the other systems in the OZ region combined this season.

It has been an absolute disaster for Fiji (look up some clips). They deserved to be looked at... not trivialised.

What particularly baffles me on this occasion in regards to your post is that it's okay for others to make allegedly disparaging comments... but for others... it's not.

You got ripped yesterday for making a comment about butt sniffing. Had you just posted about the system and left it at that, I wouldn't have ripped into you.

I tire of your endless posts critiquing the way people comment in these threads. It's great you have an interest in storms that affect Fiji, but no one else really does. I don't have any clients there, Josh isn't going to chase there, so unless it is a decent storm, no one on this board is going to care. Sorry the reality of the situation doesn't hold up to your ideals.

You got ripped yesterday for making a comment about butt sniffing. Had you just posted about the system and left it at that, I wouldn't have ripped into you.

I tire of your endless posts critiquing the way people comment in these threads. It's great you have an interest in storms that affect Fiji, but no one else really does. I don't have any clients there, Josh isn't going to chase there, so unless it is a decent storm, no one on this board is going to care. Sorry the reality of the situation doesn't hold up to your ideals.

No Srain... I really have taken it on board. In my naivety I genuinely did not realise that the primary focus of this site (TC wise) was primarily on extreme events and financial gain. I've been incredibly dumb in thinking there was an element of altruism, and with what comes with that.... general discussion on events that do not necessarily benefit members, either intellectually or financially.... and I apologise for that.

I now... very clearly... get it.

No Srain... I really have taken it on board. In my naivety I genuinely did not realise that the primary focus of this site (TC wise) was primarily on extreme events and financial gain.

I see you do not understand things very well at all around here. Perhaps you would be happier with other venues that offer discussions more of your liking. See ya, mate...;)

If that is a threat Srain (please read what was written by PSU and in regard to Josh... it's quite clear from Psu's missive that financial and personal reward are a priority for members) ... please show me where in your constitution I have actually done anything wrong... If there is any punishment to be meted out I would also ask the same standards be administered in regard to all offending members... including moderators.

PS: If I am getting punted for pointing out the obvious then my final request is that Psu changes his EC Avatar of Yasi... if he wasn't there, he doesn't deserve it... if he was, he does.

If that is a threat Srain (please read what was written by PSU and in regard to Josh... it's quite clear from Psu's missive that financial and personal reward are a priority for members) ... please show me where in your constitution I have actually done anything wrong... If there is any punishment to be meted out I would also ask the same standards be administered in regard to all offending members... including moderators.

PS: If I am getting punted for pointing out the obvious then my final request is that Psu changes his EC Avatar of Yasi... if he wasn't there, he doesn't deserve it... if he was, he does.

:huh:

Are you insane or are you drinking?

For the thousand time: anyone in this thread is welcome to post about what they like, as long as it has to do with S-Hemisphere tropical cyclones. If you want to post about Daphne or the Fiji flooding, go ahead. Just stop trying to decide what others should post about.

That's it.

No Srain... I really have taken it on board. In my naivety I genuinely did not realise that the primary focus of this site (TC wise) was primarily on extreme events and financial gain. I've been incredibly dumb in thinking there was an element of altruism, and with what comes with that.... general discussion on events that do not necessarily benefit members, either intellectually or financially.... and I apologise for that.

I now... very clearly... get it.

You were completely incorrect to think there's an element of altruism in this thread. There is zero altruism, nor has there ever been any suggestion of that. We are here discussing what's interesting to us personally. That is it.

You completely misunderstand the purpose of this thread.

Is it really that difficult to understand that people are free to discuss whatever is related southern hemisphere tropical cyclones they want to...or not... in this thread?

Not to belabor the point... but it's very weird. No one was preventing him from discussing the Fiji system-- he was completely welcome to post about it-- but he seemed to be angry that none of the rest of us were interested in it.

I post all the time in this thread Re: things that no one else cares about. Imagine if I scolded everyone for not responding to my posts? I'd walk around pretty pissed all the time. :lol:

Just... weird.

Moving on... I think we're just about done with the S Hemisphere for this year.

• 1 month later...

Wow, we haven't posted in this thread since April 2. It's been a boring month in the tropics. The TC-less streak was broken last night (EDT) as TC 19 formed over Micronesia.

sh1912.gif

JTWC is a bit more aggressive than I am, but whatever, at least there is a storm.

Archived